Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

Will it open late? Deliver?

JOOI.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

Will it open late? Deliver?

"10% Discount for orders placed via the uk.d-i-y newsgroup"?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

I know a number of large industrial estates where there is a food outlet
on or very near the estate that does very nicely from the lunch and
break time trade for people working on the estate. Some offer a lunch
delivery service around the estate as well.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

Will it open late? Deliver?

The only one that workers on the estate can walk to without overstaying
their lunch break? Phone your order in, then pick it up a few minutes
later. Some of the butty vans round here do that now.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 4:05*pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

I know a number of large industrial estates where there is a food outlet
on or very near the estate that does very nicely from the lunch and
break time trade for people working on the estate. Some offer a lunch
delivery service around the estate as well.

Colin Bignell

Mostly caravans on our Ind ests. Downmarket?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 8:01 pm, harry wrote:
On May 21, 4:05 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

I know a number of large industrial estates where there is a food outlet
on or very near the estate that does very nicely from the lunch and
break time trade for people working on the estate. Some offer a lunch
delivery service around the estate as well.

Colin Bignell

Mostly caravans on our Ind ests. Downmarket?

shurely Downham market ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On May 21, 8:01 pm, harry wrote:
On May 21, 4:05 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high
street?

I know a number of large industrial estates where there is a food
outlet
on or very near the estate that does very nicely from the lunch and
break time trade for people working on the estate. Some offer a lunch
delivery service around the estate as well.

Colin Bignell

Mostly caravans on our Ind ests. Downmarket?

shurely Downham market ;)

Don't call me Shurely )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 3:47*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds &
Burger King? *Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2011 21:33, alexander.keys1 wrote:
On May 21, 3:47 pm, The Medway
wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

Also, why the assumption that it's a race to the bottom?

It's possible to carve out a niche as a quality provider.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

They may 'manage' with less marketing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

Also, why the assumption that it's a race to the bottom?

It's possible to carve out a niche as a quality provider.

Possible - but very difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

They may 'manage' with less marketing.

OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out meal,
using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers. These are cooked on a
proper chargrill, which produces a flavour very similar to that of a
charcoal barbecue. There is no need to compete with the likes of Micky D's
or BK. They provide a perfectly acceptable but bottom end takeaway
experience. Our enterprise will provide a high quality meal at a price
comparable with your high street Indian or Chinese takeaway.

For the last seven years, we have owned and operated two cafes. These
similarly used only top quality ingredients, and never compromised on this.
We were not as cheap as a roadside greasy spoon, but we did not cater to the
same market as they do. We packed both of them on a daily basis, and no one
ever mentioned the prices. Recession or not, there are still plenty of
people out there prepared to pay a bit extra to get a quality product and
eating experience.

Tonight, we went out to eat at a local TGIs. They too use CAB burgers, and
chargrill them. They are on the same complex as a Micky D's, a KFC and a BK,
but they do not have any problem selling their burgers. The place was
packed, and almost everyone was eating burgers, so we are confident that
there is a demand for our product. Also, we have stayed in touch with many
of our previous regular customers, and they all cannot wait for us to open.

As well as this, there is a similar establishment in a town 15 miles away,
which recently celebrated 30 years, and we have been going there all that
time. It has been owned by the same guy from day one, and he has done very
well from it, and continues to do so. He too uses only quality ingredients
to produce a superior product. He is on a main road that is wall to wall
takeaways and pubs for about 2 miles, and he has never had any problem
competing.

For sure, for our model to work, location is key. The place that we finally
found, is located on a retail park, and the key features for us were the
presence of a chip shop and a Chinese, and a Co-op store that heaves non
stop until it closes at 11pm. Across the road is a large pub, and the road
that goes right past the complex, leads to a large industrial estate. On top
of this, the park is surrounded on three sides by huge housing estates.

As much consideration as possible has gone into the business model and
projections, and we are confident, given the fact that we have had
successful family run food businesses for many years, that we can make this
work. Of course, we don't have a crystal ball, and it could all go pear
shaped. In a few weeks when get the place open, we'll see, I guess. I'll let
you all know how it's going .... ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2011 02:04:37 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

As much consideration as possible has gone into the business model and
projections, and we are confident, given the fact that we have had
successful family run food businesses for many years, that we can make this
work. Of course, we don't have a crystal ball, and it could all go pear
shaped. In a few weeks when get the place open, we'll see, I guess. I'll let
you all know how it's going .... ! :-)

Arfa

Yes, please keep us informed. The quality would be of interest, as I like
burgers but am wary of the crapp in McDeadThings etc. If the new place isn't
too far I'll have a ride and call in (I'm S. Northants - are you around
Earls Barton way?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

They may 'manage' with less marketing.

OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out
meal, using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers.

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

What are you going to call it BTW?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

We have well ard burgers down here - built by a construction company :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

They may 'manage' with less marketing.

OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out
meal, using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers.

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

What are you going to call it BTW?

Cheese and bacon?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

Certified Angus Beef I think. Burger King do one now - it's a lot better
than McDs but still crap.

I love a decent burger, but it's rare to find one :-( I'd certainly be
interested in a decent quality burger outlet - Proper cherry coke as
well please (coke with proper cherry syrup) :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:

Proper cherry coke as well please (coke with proper cherry syrup)

Bleaurgh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2011-05-22, Andy Burns wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

Proper cherry coke as well please (coke with proper cherry syrup)

Bleaurgh!

I'm not alone, then.

Seem not - there are two of you who are wrong :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out meal,
using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers. These are cooked on a
proper chargrill, which produces a flavour very similar to that of a
charcoal barbecue. There is no need to compete with the likes of Micky D's
or BK. They provide a perfectly acceptable but bottom end takeaway
experience. Our enterprise will provide a high quality meal at a price
comparable with your high street Indian or Chinese takeaway.

Someone opened a similar establishment near me..
it lasted about six months.

They claimed it was good quality stuff, I don't eat burgers and stuff so I
never ate there.

They were really silly IMO.
They were competing with an all you can eat Chinese restaurant in the
evening and did sell not anything cheap enough for the kids to buy at lunch
times even though they were 100 m from a secondary school.

Its now a more generic fast food place competing with McDs a mile down the
A41.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M.Chapman" dmc@puffin. wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

Certified Angus Beef I think. Burger King do one now - it's a lot better
than McDs but still crap.

I have made my own burgers in the past.. 100% sirloin steak put through a
chopper.
These days I just eat the steak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2011 20:01, harry wrote:
On May 21, 4:05 pm, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Sounds like its on a retail park or industrial estate, not a high street?

I know a number of large industrial estates where there is a food outlet
on or very near the estate that does very nicely from the lunch and
break time trade for people working on the estate. Some offer a lunch
delivery service around the estate as well.

Colin Bignell

Mostly caravans on our Ind ests. Downmarket?

Cheaper to run, but with limited capacity, so probably better suited to
smaller estates. Around here, those are mostly served by a mobile food
delivery service run by a local baker.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 11:21 am, Owain wrote:
On May 22, 10:39 am, "dennis@home" wrote:

They were competing with an all you can eat Chinese restaurant in the
evening and did sell not anything cheap enough for the kids to buy at lunch
times even though they were 100 m from a secondary school.

Local butcher is doing steak and buckfast pies ready-to-eat take-
away.

Very popular apparently with the primary school kids.

mmm bit rough round you is it? ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8465957.stm

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-05-22, Andy Burns wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

Proper cherry coke as well please (coke with proper cherry syrup)

Bleaurgh!

I'm not alone, then.

Nope, all of those cherry+cola drinks make me barf and yes that includes
you Dr Pepper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, yes. You will be very welcome. I'll point you at it when we are
established.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm interested in how this is going to work once its open Arfa.

What's it's USP?

How is it going to compete with the marketing muscle of McDonalds&
Burger King? Evem Wimpey?

Or even *Wimpy* )

There are a lot of low-budget fast food chains, many of them with
"chicken" somewhere in the name (and I don't mean KFC) that manage
without marketing.

They may 'manage' with less marketing.

OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out
meal, using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers.

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

What are you going to call it BTW?

CAB is "Certified Angus Beef". I'll tell you about the name nearer to
opening in a few weeks time.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

Certified Angus Beef I think. Burger King do one now - it's a lot better
than McDs but still crap.

I love a decent burger, but it's rare to find one :-( I'd certainly be
interested in a decent quality burger outlet - Proper cherry coke as
well please (coke with proper cherry syrup) :-)

Darren

I'll pass it on to the powers that be ! If you want a decent quality
burger, without having to pop over to the states, try TGI's. I had not been
there for a while, and we all went last night. Seems to me that their prices
have come down a bit, and I have to say, being fussy about my burgers too,
that I had absolutely no complaint at all about the size, quality, taste or
cooking of the double stack bacon cheeseburger that I had. Likewise, the
other people in the party. For a change, eating out in this country, it was
a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

It is essential that children are catered for. Part of our new venture, is
also a milkshake bar. We had this in both of our cafes, and it provided an
extremely good revenue stream for us, and was much loved by the kids. With
the 'American' theme of the new place, it fits very well into the overall
scheme. Sounds like the place you are citing, had a naive business model,
and approach. Plus, that sounds like a bad location to me. Footfall is
important, but it has to be the right sort of footfall from the right
customer demographic. This is where a lot of startups go wrong, and is part
of the reason that it took us so long after selling our cafes, to find the
right spot for this enterprise. Hopefully, the approach that we are
adopting, coupled to the location we have, will ensure success but, being
pretty experienced business people, we are under no illusions that it's
going to be an easy ride. Only time will tell, I guess ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

And can we have pictures?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-05-22, Andy Burns wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

Proper cherry coke as well please (coke with proper cherry syrup)

Bleaurgh!

I'm not alone, then.

Nope, all of those cherry+cola drinks make me barf and yes that includes
you Dr Pepper.

Dr. Pepper. The second biggest disappointment of my first visit to the USA.
Right after Hershey's "chocolate". They both got thrown away.

For me it was "Root Beer". What the hell is that flavour anyway,
toilet duck ? It reminds me of Euthymol toothpaste.

Hershey's syrup makes O.K. chocolate milk shakes.

Derek G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-05-22, Derek G wrote:

Dr. Pepper. The second biggest disappointment of my first visit to the USA.
Right after Hershey's "chocolate". They both got thrown away.

For me it was "Root Beer".

Oh, yeah. That too.

Ah, root beer. Yeah I'm with you on that one. Can't stand it. Or cream soda.

Dr Pepper or Cherry coke all the way

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

I'll pass it on to the powers that be ! If you want a decent quality
burger, without having to pop over to the states, try TGI's. I had not been
there for a while, and we all went last night. Seems to me that their prices
have come down a bit, and I have to say, being fussy about my burgers too,
that I had absolutely no complaint at all about the size, quality, taste or
cooking of the double stack bacon cheeseburger that I had. Likewise, the
other people in the party. For a change, eating out in this country, it was
a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Yeah, TGI isn't bad - not been for a while. Keep meaning to try a GBK as
well next time I'm in london. Sounds promising and I've heard good things.

No Cherry Coke though :-( Annettes diner in disneyland paris is probably the
nicest cherry coke I've had - bit random in quality of food though...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

Proper cherry coke as well please (coke with proper cherry syrup)

Bleaurgh!

I've never liked tea or coffee, in fact the only hot drink I have is an
ocassional (maybe once every couple of months) hot chocolate. However I have
consumed, on average, around 10 cans of Coke per day for the last 36 years
and can absolutely concur with your statement Andy. Cherry Coke (for that
matter, anything cherry), along with vegetables, is the spawn of Satan
himself!!! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"TMH" wrote:

What are you going to call it?

"PeterC" wrote:

are you around Earls Barton way?

Indeed, yes.

Kinky Boo^H^Hurgers ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

Proper cherry coke as well please (coke with proper cherry syrup)

Bleaurgh!

I've never liked tea or coffee, in fact the only hot drink I have is an
ocassional (maybe once every couple of months) hot chocolate. However I
have consumed, on average, around 10 cans of Coke per day for the last 36
years and can absolutely concur with your statement Andy. Cherry Coke (for
that matter, anything cherry), along with vegetables, is the spawn of
Satan himself!!! :-)

Blimey ! I thought my missus was bad at 6 - 8 cans of diet coke a day (and
little else other than the occasional cup of tea so weak it looks like cat's
****) but you sir, have the prize at 10 cans a day !! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Very possibly. I believe that the daughter is intending having some kind of
on-line presence with the place, so I'll point you at that when it's done.
She wants to keep it all a bit '5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - Open!' at the moment.
Should look pretty impressive though, I think. The counter that I'm building
is a bloody masterpiece of design and engineering, and has allowed me to buy
all sorts of new and useful tools ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2011 13:36, Arfa Daily wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Whats a CAB burger? Google only comes up with references to the Bobs
Burgers TV show.

CAB is "Certified Angus Beef".

Which meant nothing to me until I looked it up. Nevertheless, it is
still a burger, which I will only eat if I've made it myself. The one
exception used to be a restaurant where you could see the food being
prepared and they made a very good burger. The current owner uses wooden
boards instead of plates, which I view as microbiologically suspect, so
I no longer eat there.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2011 17:02:28 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

"TMH" wrote:

What are you going to call it?

"PeterC" wrote:

are you around Earls Barton way?

Indeed, yes.

Kinky Boo^H^Hurgers ...

Shhhh...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2011 17:48:26 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:
The current owner uses wooden
boards instead of plates, which I view as microbiologically suspect, so
I no longer eat there.

Google "wood" and "antibacterial" and you'll find dozens of references
to wood's natural antibiotic properties.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2011 18:08, Nick Odell wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2011 17:48:26 +0100, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:
The current owner uses wooden
boards instead of plates, which I view as microbiologically suspect, so
I no longer eat there.

Google "wood" and "antibacterial" and you'll find dozens of references
to wood's natural antibiotic properties.

Anti-bacterial properties breed resistant strains. Surfaces that can be
completely cleaned of bacteria do not.

Colin Bignell