Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT; Arfa's Burger Joint...

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

OK. Lots of comments there. The USP is that it is based on the American
model of such establishments, in that it provides a quality take out
meal, using only quality ingredients such as CAB burgers. These are
cooked on a proper chargrill, which produces a flavour very similar to
that of a charcoal barbecue. There is no need to compete with the likes
of Micky D's or BK. They provide a perfectly acceptable but bottom end
takeaway experience. Our enterprise will provide a high quality meal at a
price comparable with your high street Indian or Chinese takeaway.

Someone opened a similar establishment near me..
it lasted about six months.

They claimed it was good quality stuff, I don't eat burgers and stuff so I
never ate there.

They were really silly IMO.
They were competing with an all you can eat Chinese restaurant in the
evening and did sell not anything cheap enough for the kids to buy at
lunch times even though they were 100 m from a secondary school.

Its now a more generic fast food place competing with McDs a mile down the
A41.

It is essential that children are catered for. Part of our new venture, is
also a milkshake bar. We had this in both of our cafes, and it provided an
extremely good revenue stream for us, and was much loved by the kids. With
the 'American' theme of the new place, it fits very well into the overall
scheme. Sounds like the place you are citing, had a naive business model,
and approach. Plus, that sounds like a bad location to me. Footfall is
important, but it has to be the right sort of footfall from the right
customer demographic. This is where a lot of startups go wrong, and is part
of the reason that it took us so long after selling our cafes, to find the
right spot for this enterprise. Hopefully, the approach that we are
adopting, coupled to the location we have, will ensure success but, being
pretty experienced business people, we are under no illusions that it's
going to be an easy ride. Only time will tell, I guess ... :-)

Arfa