Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing house name ( OT).

Another question. I am sorry. Does anyone know how you go about changing
your house name?

I live in a village and our house is named not numbered. However, I
found out last night that there is now another house in the village ( a new
build apparently) going by the same name. This has caused confusion as I
nearly didn't get something I ordered.

Added to that I know there is yet another house ( again recently built -
last ten years this time but recently changed its name) which has both a
similar name and a similar post code ( one letter different like for
example theirs is AB12 6RA and we are AB12 6PA). That has also caused
confusion.

I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

So what do I do to change the house name?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"bluebell" wrote in message
[...]

Are you absolutely sure your house does not have a number? I was brought up
in a house which we thought only had a name only to find out many years
later that the post office had a number listed for it as well. For over 20
years we never used the number or saw it on incoming mail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
k...

"bluebell" wrote in message
Another question. I am sorry. Does anyone know how you go about changing
your house name?

I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They
cannot be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name
longest)

So what do I do to change the house name?

Are you absolutely sure your house does not have a number?

I am absolutely certain. There is no number. I actually live on a
smallholding - an ex market garden. None of the houses in the village have
numbers. The village isnt that big and the houses are spread out. None is
numbered at all except for the small development of social housing at the
bottom of the village. That has numbers but thats new build.

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the new
houses to have the names of existing ones though. I always thought a house
had to have a name different to ones in the bvillage already. I I know when
a new house was built in my mothers village a few years back the owners
were told thatey couldnt have the firts two names they selected because
there were other houses in neighbouring villages with the same names.

But now, anything goes it seems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PL PL is offline

bluebell wrote:

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the new
houses to have the names of existing ones ...

Are you sure about that? I thought the Local Authority was responsible
for street naming and numbering and that the PO was, perhaps, just a
consultee in the process. Why don't you take the issue up with the LA?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Apr, 09:26, PL wrote:
bluebell wrote:

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the new
houses to have the names of existing ones ...

Are you sure about that? I thought the Local Authority was responsible
for street naming and numbering and that the PO was, perhaps, just a
consultee in the process. Why don't you take the issue up with the LA?

I presume you've taken it up with the new builds? A letter explaining
that if they use those names, since there is already a hiouse by that
name, they will fail to receive a goodly proportion of mail, which
will result in unpaid bills, utilities being cut off as a result,
credit ratings ruined, CC summons, financial records being sent to
others in the village and so on.

Pointing this out in a calm way might make them think twice. Whereas
jumping up & down saying I was here first will achieve nothing.

If you do change your house name, all you do is fit a new plaque and
tell the PO. You can do it with no plaque, but thats asking for
delivery problems.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PL" wrote in message
bluebell wrote:

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the
new houses to have the names of existing ones ...

Are you sure about that? I thought the Local Authority was responsible
for street naming and numbering and that the PO was, perhaps, just a
consultee in the process. Why don't you take the issue up with the LA?

I am not sure about what I said. I automatically thought that it must be the
PO. After all why should anyone other than the PO who are responsible for
mail and post codes etc. be involved. I didn't know the Local Authority
were responsible.

I will go to the council and find out what idiot there is causing me grief.
I have lost two parcels of things I sent for ( first time ever ) about six
moths ago . I lost a CRB clearance which I know went to " the other"
foxgloves ( the one with a similar post code) , because after six months
they decided to forward it to me! Now I nearly lost a phone. The driver
told me about the confusion. Even the Post Office themselves tried to send
him to a different Foxgloves ( the new one in our village)

But of course they have given out the name now haven't they?
So my question remains. How can I change my house name so as not to have
confusion?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bluebell wrote:
Another question. I am sorry. Does anyone know how you go about changing
your house name?

Having read the other replies, I think the answer is simple. You just
put up a new name board outside the house

And tell everybody to send to the new name, and then tell the post
office its got a new name, and then every time someone sends a letter to
the old name, you send them a pre-printed card announcing you have moved
house to 'new name'.

Even if some jobsworth eventually says 'ere! U karnt DU that' most of
the official people will blithely accept that the new name is what you
say it is, and the two words 'Fait Accompli' spring to mind..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, bluebell wrote:
[...]

It would make more sense for all concerned if the other house's name was
changed. But to answer your question I changed the name of my house
(which I thought didn't have a number, but it turns out it did) simply
by having a nameplate made and drawing the postman's attention to it.

The hardest part was getting the utility companies to understand that my
address had changed but I hadn't moved - they simply weren't equipped to
deal with that possibility.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bluebell wrote:
Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the
new houses to have the names of existing ones though. I always thought
a house had to have a name different to ones in the bvillage already. I
I know when a new house was built in my mothers village a few years
back the owners were told thatey couldnt have the firts two names they
selected because there were other houses in neighbouring villages with
the same names.

But now, anything goes it seems.

Especially not proofreading. ;-)

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 9:29 am, wrote:
On 28 Apr, 09:26, PL wrote:

If you do change your house name, all you do is fit a new plaque and
tell the PO. You can do it with no plaque, but thats asking for
delivery problems.

Best to also tell the local authority, Police and Fire Brigade. (You
don't want your house burning down because the Brigade don't know
where you are :-) )

I think that's all the people I told but it was 15 years ago so I may
have forgotten somebody,

Cheers,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bluebell wrote:
"PL" wrote in message
bluebell wrote:

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the
new houses to have the names of existing ones ...

Are you sure about that? I thought the Local Authority was responsible
for street naming and numbering and that the PO was, perhaps, just a
consultee in the process. Why don't you take the issue up with the LA?

I am not sure about what I said. I automatically thought that it must be the
PO. After all why should anyone other than the PO who are responsible for
mail and post codes etc. be involved. I didn't know the Local Authority
were responsible.

When I once subdivided a house into two, that meant I was "creating" a
new address. The procedure for that was to talk to the Highways Dept of
the local council who approved it (this was completely separate from
planning permission etc) and they passed it on to the Royal Mail who
duly (eventually, after many months) modified their postcodes database.
When I originally contacted the Royal Mail direct, they told me they'd
only accept the change from my Council.

Don't know how closely that mirrors your scenario, but maybe it helps?
IIWY I think I'd I'd just contact Royal Mail and see what they say. As
regards telling anybody else (such as Fire, Police etc) - I wouldn't
bother as they will take their info from the postcodes database. You'll
have to wait until the postcodes database is updated before notifying
many outfits (eg utility companies) as they won't physically be able to
effect the change until then.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
bluebell wrote:
Another question. I am sorry. Does anyone know how you go about
changing your house name?

Having read the other replies, I think the answer is simple. You just
put up a new name board outside the house

And tell everybody to send to the new name, and then tell the post
office its got a new name, and then every time someone sends a letter to
the old name, you send them a pre-printed card announcing you have moved
house to 'new name'.

So how is he going to persuade (eg) United Utilities to make the change
when the new house name doesn't appear on the dropdown list in the
postcodes database, but the old name *does*?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Apr, 10:28, Lobster wrote:
bluebell wrote:
"PL" wrote in message
bluebell wrote:

[...]

The other area of difficulty is your bank and associated credit/debit
cards as a number of internet sellers will bounce your details if the
delivery address and card address do not coincide. Suffered that !

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:53:58 +0100, "bluebell"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.wginstallations.co.uk/ind...FQ_clAodHTctRg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:25:47 +0100, Owain
wrote:

The Local Authority has responsibility under the Public Health Act 1925
sections 17 -19. for street naming and house numbering.

How about house naming, though?

:-)
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bluebell
writes

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the new
houses to have the names of existing ones though.

Why do you imagine that 'some tw@t' in the PO has 'allowed' any such
thing?

Two points you should understand. Mail is delivered by Royal Mail, not
the Post Office. Neither Royal Mail nor the Post Office have any say in
the description of your property, and/or address.

Your problem should be referred to the relevant local authority. Royal
Mail merely create a database of addresses - they do not approve (or
otherwise) the address, including house names.

--
Graeme, sub postmaster
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike
Barnes writes

It would make more sense for all concerned if the other house's name was
changed. But to answer your question I changed the name of my house
(which I thought didn't have a number, but it turns out it did) simply
by having a nameplate made and drawing the postman's attention to it.

At last some sense, "Excuse me, you appear to have named your house
the same as/similar to mine, as this is bound to cause confusion please
change it forthwith". As to asking Royal Mail if they wouldn't mind
changing, you don't, you tell them that it has changed and let them sort it
out (mind you the bit about just telling the postie is eminently sensible,
IME the men on the ground are very helpful and seem to be capable of
sorting out many problems themselves).
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

If you enter your postcode into the postcode lookup at
http://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/address/pclookup.asp (leave the property
details box empty) you should find what the Post Office Address File
(PAF) thinks your address is. This is the oracle as far as addresses
are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
rely upon information from local authorities.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
wrote

This is the oracle as far as addresses
are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
rely upon information from local authorities.

Consider also that many of the services you may want will be using
Satellite Navigation to find your property. There are only two main
suppliers in the world for the UK maps that all the Sat Nav software
suppliers use. Currently having a house number is a good idea whereas
a house name should be something that should be avoided if you want to
use services that rely on Sat Nav.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

If you enter your postcode into the postcode lookup at
http://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/address/pclookup.asp (leave the property
details box empty) you should find what the Post Office Address File
(PAF) thinks your address is. This is the oracle as far as addresses
are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
rely upon information from local authorities.

The oricle tells me my address is exactly as I already know it is - so what
use is that?

I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very similar
ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and it
has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Peter Parry
wrote

This is the oracle as far as addresses
are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
rely upon information from local authorities.

Consider also that many of the services you may want will be using
Satellite Navigation to find your property. There are only two main
suppliers in the world for the UK maps that all the Sat Nav software
suppliers use. Currently having a house number is a good idea whereas a
house name should be something that should be avoided if you want to use
services that rely on Sat Nav.

House names are for urban types who live in streets ( and my " street"
doesn't even have a name , it goes by the land registry title as " lane to
the west of a lane going from ABC to XYZ

My lane is a private road ( I own it), it goes nowhere except to my fields
and a river at the top. The main lane goes by the title of "lane that goes
from ABC to XYZ .

Sat Nav is useless in my area - even the ambulance gets lost. OS refs works
better. I am very isolated by most standards. My nearest neighbour is 20
mins walk away.

Hence if some idiot allows houses in the village two and a half miles away
to have the same name , I scuppered. No one will look for me when they are
so near and so visible are they?

By the way the issue is not so much with the post man who does seem to know
where I am. Its other deliveries - parceline, TNT etc. But it seems they
have more trade that the postie these days.
It was in fact the post man who told me that there was another house - or
two - with my name to cause confusion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:30:23 +0100, "bluebell"
wrote:

|!
|!"Peter Parry" wrote in message
. ..
|! On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:53:58 +0100, "bluebell"
|! wrote:
|!
|!
|!I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
|!post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
|!be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)
|!
|! If you enter your postcode into the postcode lookup at
|! http://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/address/pclookup.asp (leave the property
|! details box empty) you should find what the Post Office Address File
|! (PAF) thinks your address is. This is the oracle as far as addresses
|! are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
|! rely upon information from local authorities.
|!
|!The oricle tells me my address is exactly as I already know it is - so what
|!use is that?
|!
|!I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very similar
|!ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and it
|!has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

How about changing it to "The original ????? accept no forgeries" ;-)
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!|!"Peter Parry" wrote in message

. ..
|! On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:53:58 +0100, "bluebell"|! wrote:

|!
|!
|!I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
|!post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
|!be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)
|!
|! If you enter your postcode into the postcode lookup at
|!http://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/address/pclookup.asp(leave the property
|! details box empty) you should find what the Post Office Address File
|! (PAF) thinks your address is. This is the oracle as far as addresses
|! are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
|! rely upon information from local authorities.
|!
|!The oricle tells me my address is exactly as I already know it is - so what
|!use is that?
|!
|!I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very similar
|!ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and it
|!has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

How about changing it to "The original ????? accept no forgeries" ;-)
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberghttp://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_PageCompletely Free to any
address in the UK. Contact me on the *above* email address.

As far as I know, house numbers and names are allocated / agreed by
the local District Council, or Unitary Authority/Metropolitan
borough, under an old Public Health act (1936??). Might be worth
having a word with them. This is why in some places roads are named
after local councillors, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!
|!"Peter Parry" wrote in message
. ..
|! On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:53:58 +0100, "bluebell"
|! wrote:

|!
|!I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very
similar
|!ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and
it
|!has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

How about changing it to "The original ????? accept no forgeries" ;-)
--

Thats a nice one! Thank you. I had sort of got a name in mind , one which I
thought was unusual enough not to get thought of again but it is very

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:38:22 +0100, bluebell wrote:

House names are for urban types who live in streets...

Don't you mean "House numbers are for urban types who live in streets..."?

( and my " street" doesn't even have a name , it goes by the land
registry title as " lane to the west of a lane going from ABC to XYZ

I don't think the road outside our house has a name either, it does have a
classification number Csomething or other that no one knows and isn't
signed anywhere. It's know locally as the Garrigill Road as that is where
it leads but again no name boards.

Sat Nav is useless in my area - even the ambulance gets lost. OS refs
works better.

Yep Sat Nav (if it can use full post code not just 5 or 6 charcters) will
get you close, about 1/2 a mile. And as we are right on the road that'll
probably do but the other 4 delivery points are off the road and up to a
mile apart, two are not visible from the road at all. The name of the
houses/farms relates to an area not just the buildings.

I am very isolated by most standards. My nearest neighbour is 20 mins
walk away.

Similar to here, the nearest as the crow flys neighbour is a longer walk
than the next nearest unless one makes like a crow...

Hence if some idiot allows houses in the village two and a half miles
away to have the same name , I scuppered. No one will look for me when
they are so near and so visible are they?

A very good point. Generally the posties are good because they know the
peoples names and addresses. I'd fully expect something posted in this
country addressed with simply surname and village name to get delivered
without any trouble. I do have a fairly unique surname though, might be
different with Bell or Walton in this area...

Sensible delivery drivers ask at the garage in town where we are, less
sensible we see zooming past down to the village then come back up 10
minutes later after asking in the sub post office. A few are regular
drivers for the area so "just know", like the Postie, where places are.

Having two or three places with the same name is just asking for trouble.
I don't know what the correct approach is but I'd start with the softly
softly one. Do a bit of research, find out when your place started to be
called what it is, what their places where at that time etc then go and
talk to the people at the other address's showing what you have found and
the problems having the same names is causing. No one minds the odd bit of
stray post but repeated wrong deliveries would become a PITA, so point
that out to them rather than just complaining about your problem.

If that fails it looks like it's on to the local council and looking up
what the legislation says. As it's under Public Health I suspect there
maybe some reference to "unique addressing" in there, your historical data
should help convince the council your right (or not!) to the name.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The oricle tells me my address is exactly as I already know it is - so what
use is that?

It tells you what every parcel delivery company thinks it is as well.
They all use the PAF for addressing as do most companies for order
checking etc.

I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very similar
ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and it
has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

Then you need to talk to your local authority. Even if you change
the name it may take a long time to promulgate. Although the PAF is
changed quite frequently not all subscribers take all updates and
many users are 6-12 months or more out of date.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The oricle tells me my address is exactly as I already know it is - so what
use is that?

It tells you what every parcel delivery company thinks it is as well.
They all use the PAF for addressing as do most companies for order
checking etc.

I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very similar
ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and it
has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

Then you need to talk to your local authority. Even if you change
the name it may take a long time to promulgate. Although the PAF is
changed quite frequently not all subscribers take all updates and
many users are 6-12 months or more out of date.

My postcode was changed 6 years ago. I still occasionally come
across people who don't have the new postcode on their databases,
and I then give them the old one and it finds the road.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

If you enter your postcode into the postcode lookup at
http://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/address/pclookup.asp (leave the property
details box empty) you should find what the Post Office Address File
(PAF) thinks your address is. This is the oracle as far as addresses
are concerned but as others have said it isn't made up by RM - they
rely upon information from local authorities.

I lost interest when it asked me to register first.
However, a number of online ordering companies ask for
your postcode, and then in my case give a dropdown list
of about 10 house names and a nightclub to select from.
For some reason, no properties in my road, which is in
the middle of the town, are numbered. They all have names.
Every other road around us is numbered as normal.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I live in a house with a name but no number, down a bridleway off a lane
with no name.

Needless to say, we have trouble with people finding us ...

If it stops the pizza leaflets, no bad thing.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The oricle tells me my address is exactly as I already know it is - so what
use is that?

It tells you what every parcel delivery company thinks it is as well.
They all use the PAF for addressing as do most companies for order
checking etc.

I know my address. The problem is there are now two others with very similar
ones ( ie same name , similar postcodes) and someone has to give and it
has to be me cos I aint getting my mail and such , other people are.

Then you need to talk to your local authority. Even if you change
the name it may take a long time to promulgate. Although the PAF is
changed quite frequently not all subscribers take all updates and
many users are 6-12 months or more out of date.

More would be the operative word. I still get mail addressed with
a business name that I last used nearly ten years ago. It's still in
the incompetent Post Office's database, despite numerous requests for
them to remove it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

So what do I do to change the house name?

I'm sure people round here just get a plaque made up and nail it on
the door, and if they get chance catch the postman and point it out to
him.

However ...

Maybe you could add one more line of detail into your address, such as
Nr. Station Rd, Ambridge. or Off Coldfield Lane, Hotten etc.

If you live down an anonymous lane or drive put a signpost on the end
of the lane where it joins the road. That seems to be the norm in
leafy Surrey.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
A very good point. Generally the posties are good because they know
the peoples names and addresses. I'd fully expect something posted in
this country addressed with simply surname and village name to get
delivered without any trouble. I do have a fairly unique surname
though, might be different with Bell or Walton in this area...

Sorry :-) I always thought that was just a web nickname! Really unusual -
do you know anything about the history of it?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
wrote:
I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

If you enter your postcode into the postcode lookup at
http://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/address/pclookup.asp (leave the property
details box empty) you should find what the Post Office Address File
(PAF) thinks your address is.

I lost interest when it asked me to register first.

You can do it via the Royal Mail website anyway, no need to register.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/addressfinder

Just leave out house name/number etc. and you get the list.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:13:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If it stops the pizza leaflets, no bad thing.

Freebie newspapers, property guides and other advertising junk is a
feature of living in an urban or town enviroment. We don't get any freebie
newpapers or property guides, the only advertising junk is that delivered
by the postman.

Having delivered The Phone Book round here I know why we don't get any of
the freebies it's just not economic. Took me a couple of hours to do the
75 houses on the one estate but several days to get round all the houses
and farms outside the centers of population.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Liquorice wrote:
We don't get any freebie
newpapers or property guides,

Ditto. Nor Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.

the only advertising junk is that delivered
by the postman.

You can avoid that as well if you want:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...mediaId=500081

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

bluebell wrote:
Another question. I am sorry. Does anyone know how you go about changing
your house name?

Many years ago, I found that Ordnance Survey actually had my house
number wrong on their extremely detailed maps. But my point is that they
might well wish/need to know what the property is called.

Some years later, I moved into a house where the owner had changed the
name. I wanted to revert to the historic name - and did so. Turned out
that the owner had simply had a word with the postie. Everyone else
still had the old name on record so there was nothing to do except tell
the new postie.

In the same street, there were actually two houses with the same name.
Out of three houses. Mine was the odd one out!

--
Rod

I am buying a small house not in the best shape but anyway. Never owned a house before. Need your advice. [email protected] Home Ownership 2 March 25th 07 07:21 PM
You would think changing George UK diy 1 February 24th 07 08:07 PM
changing an outlet [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 15th 06 05:58 PM
connecting ceiling fan to older house- 70 year old house. need help with wiring colors KOS Home Repair 8 July 18th 05 03:47 PM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM