Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Changing house name ( OT).

On 28 Apr, 10:28, Lobster wrote:
bluebell wrote:
"PL" wrote in message
bluebell wrote:

Its only recently some tw@t in the Post Office has seen fit to allow the
new houses to have the names of existing ones ...
Are you sure about that? I thought the Local Authority was responsible
for street naming and numbering and that the PO was, perhaps, just a
consultee in the process. Why don't you take the issue up with the LA?

I am not sure about what I said. I automatically thought that it must be the
PO. After all why should anyone other than the PO who are responsible for
mail and post codes etc. be involved. I didn't know the Local Authority
were responsible.

When I once subdivided a house into two, that meant I was "creating" a
new address. The procedure for that was to talk to the Highways Dept of
the local council who approved it (this was completely separate from
planning permission etc) and they passed it on to the Royal Mail who
duly (eventually, after many months) modified their postcodes database.
When I originally contacted the Royal Mail direct, they told me they'd
only accept the change from my Council.

Don't know how closely that mirrors your scenario, but maybe it helps?
IIWY I think I'd I'd just contact Royal Mail and see what they say. As
regards telling anybody else (such as Fire, Police etc) - I wouldn't
bother as they will take their info from the postcodes database. You'll
have to wait until the postcodes database is updated before notifying
many outfits (eg utility companies) as they won't physically be able to
effect the change until then.

David

The other area of difficulty is your bank and associated credit/debit
cards as a number of internet sellers will bounce your details if the
delivery address and card address do not coincide. Suffered that !

Rob