Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Changing house name ( OT).

In uk.d-i-y, bluebell wrote:
Another question. I am sorry. Does anyone know how you go about changing
your house name?

I live in a village and our house is named not numbered. However, I
found out last night that there is now another house in the village ( a new
build apparently) going by the same name. This has caused confusion as I
nearly didn't get something I ordered.

Added to that I know there is yet another house ( again recently built -
last ten years this time but recently changed its name) which has both a
similar name and a similar post code ( one letter different like for
example theirs is AB12 6RA and we are AB12 6PA). That has also caused
confusion.

I can see the only solution to this is for me to change my name ( as the
post office have allowed the other two to have our house name. They cannot
be changed now , so I have to change, even though we had the name longest)

It would make more sense for all concerned if the other house's name was
changed. But to answer your question I changed the name of my house
(which I thought didn't have a number, but it turns out it did) simply
by having a nameplate made and drawing the postman's attention to it.

The hardest part was getting the utility companies to understand that my
address had changed but I hadn't moved - they simply weren't equipped to
deal with that possibility.

--
Mike Barnes