Chuck Jurgens

Default Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

I have a JD 655 compact tractor/mower with a 3 cyl diesel engine. The
starter went bad and I took it to a guy who fixes starters and alternators.
He removed it from the tractor, took it apart and determined that he
couldn't fix it.

I took it to another guy who fixed it. Now I need to re-install it on the
tractor. No problem - except for one thing. Since the first mechanic
removed it from the tractor, I didn't notice where all of the wires connect.
Actually, I know where they all go except ONE. There is the battery cable
and generator cable that connect to one side of the solenoid and the cable
from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

The remaining wire runs over to what appears to be a fuel shutoff. I THINK
it connects to the hot terminal on the solenoid but when I connect it, the
fuel shutoff engages - even when the ignition is off. Obviously, this would
drain the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the purpose of this wire AND where it
connects?

Thanks.

Chuck

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:26:29 GMT, "Chuck Jurgens"
wrote:

[...]

I'm really guessing here.

Connected that way I believe that if you ever started this thing it
would drain the fuel tank too. [g]

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the purpose of this wire AND where it
connects?

The purpose is to shut the fuel off so the engine quits running.

There must be another contact someplace from the "ignition" switch to
the fuel solenoid -or- from an oil pressure switch.

But what do I know, why not go to Wally World and buy a manual?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660805302498

Duane Bozarth

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

[...]

It's the fuel supply solenoid...on the 955 (which actually now I look
the service manual covers the 655 thru 955) it connects on a side
terminal on the starter...as I recall, it's on the back side where it's
a real pita to get to when the starter is mounted so you may not be able
to see it easily.

I assume this is the white?

Also, I've never seen a JD dealer that wouldn't answer such a question
or supply a copy of the wiring diagram simply for the
asking--particularly if one uses them for parts, etc., on a at least a
reasonably regular basis--it's a reason to give them your business.

Duane Bozarth

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!

Chuck

Great...

The guys in the shop at JD do know who you are, though, right????

Duane Bozarth

.....[top posting repaired]...

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!

Chuck

Great...

The guys in the shop at JD do know who you are, though, right????

No, they don't. This is my first John Deere. I bought it recently on eBay.
It had a bad starter and JD wanted $400 for a new one.

Well, you'll find in the long run it pays to make their acquaintance
imo...
Man on the mountain

Chuck,

Go to Google and type in John Deer and it will take you to their web site.
You can look up your tractor there and even the manual/s for tractors. They
also have a "help" site.

[...]

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,alt.agriculture.misc

Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...655-18692-.htm

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,alt.agriculture.misc

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Just so you didn't miss the obvious.
How do you know the battery is good?
Are the battery terminals clean?
Did you try to jump start the engine?
Is there any sound like a click from the starter solenoid?
Is there some sort of lockout that keeps the engine from turning over
i.e. transmission have to be in neutral or park , clutch have be
depressed before engine will crank?
What about the mower if it has one? Does it have to be raised while
starting or is there some sort of lever to keep it from running?
Is there a separate lever that engages the PTO?
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,alt.agriculture.misc

On 8/30/20 5:01 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Â*Â*Â* Just so you didn't miss the obvious.
How do you know the battery is good?
Are the battery terminals clean?
Did you try to jump start the engine?
Is there any sound like a click from the starter solenoid?
Is there some sort of lockout that keeps the engine from turning over
i.e.Â* transmission have to be in neutral or park , clutch have be
depressed before engine will crank?
Â*What about the mower if it has one?Â* Does it have to be raised while
starting or is there some sort of lever to keep it from running?
Â* Is there a separate lever that engages the PTO?

On our John Deere L111, to start engine, you have to be sitting in the
seat, blades lever in off position, and brake depressed.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,alt.agriculture.misc

On 8/30/2020 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Best bet is it's bad ground -- 955 here turned out was bad replacement
cable connector that looked fine superficially but wasn't.

After that, the seat, PTO interlocks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 16:01:08 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Just so you didn't miss the obvious.
How do you know the battery is good?
Are the battery terminals clean?
Did you try to jump start the engine?
Is there any sound like a click from the starter solenoid?
Is there some sort of lockout that keeps the engine from turning over
i.e. transmission have to be in neutral or park , clutch have be
depressed before engine will crank?
What about the mower if it has one? Does it have to be raised while
starting or is there some sort of lever to keep it from running?
Is there a separate lever that engages the PTO?

brake must be on, in neutral, blade dissengaged, and driver on the
seat. From memory on my old JD lawn tractor.

Any one bad switch or connection can cause the problem. Try "jumping"
the solenoid to rule it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

brake must be on, in neutral, blade dissengaged, and driver on the
seat. From memory on my old JD lawn tractor.

The 955 doesn't demand the brake; I presume 655 won't either altho the
manual is downstairs and am too lazy to go look it up, but the
655/755/855/955 all have same base manual.

Well, did, but the only wiring diagram I have is 855/955; reminded me
tho there is the fuse block on the dash RH side; could be a fuse as well
as there is a fusible link in the starter line from +ive battery.

If have manual tranny, there's an in-neutral switch on it, too...this
955 is hydrostatic.

But, no sign of brake being in the starter interlock circuitry.

PTO, seat, tranny are it -- altho there is the glow plug timing module
if is diesel--dunno if any of the 655s were or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Â* brake must be on, in neutral, blade dissengaged, and driver on the
seat. From memory on my old JD lawn tractor.

The 955 doesn't demand the brake; I presume 655 won't either altho the
manual is downstairs and am too lazy to go look it up, but the
655/755/855/955 all have same base manual.

Well, did, but the only wiring diagram I have is 855/955; reminded me
tho there is the fuse block on the dash RH side; could be a fuse as well
as there is a fusible link in the starter line from +ive battery.

If have manual tranny, there's an in-neutral switch on it, too...this
955 is hydrostatic.

But, no sign of brake being in the starter interlock circuitry.

PTO, seat, tranny are it -- altho there is the glow plug timing module
if is diesel--dunno if any of the 655s were or not.

--

Yanmar 3 cyl. diesel
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/2/128-john-deere-655-engine.html
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair,alt.agriculture.misc

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 20:00:04 +0000, T fed
wrote:

Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Get a voltmeter and follow the wires to the ignition key, every safety
switch, to the starter motor, and beyond. Then follow f rom the other
pole of the battery or from the ground.

Stop guessing what is wrong and figure it out properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Yanmar 3 cyl. diesel
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/2/128-john-deere-655-engine.html

So they put the Yanmar and hydrostatic in the whole series -- @16 hp
that's more than I thought the 655 probably had, about half the 955. I
figured were 10 or so.

I'd still suspect cables first, but OP needs just start from battery and
figure out where loses continuity/voltage along the way. Clare's
suggestion to jump the solenoid to make sure it's ok is good quick check
too.

Somebody had short-circuited the operator station switch before I bought
this one so it's not the nuisance was with it -- it didn't/doesn't have
an override to be able to get off or move without killing it. Just not
practical for many farm operations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
[...]

I can't speak for Deere, but my WheelHorse was famous for wiring
problems involving the fuse holder block - I found a fuse badly
melted last time and it wasn't obvious with a quick look -
I needed to remove the fuse - to see the blade half-gone !
Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2020 11:41 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 08:45:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

I can't speak for Deere, but my WheelHorse was famous for wiring
problems involving the fuse holder block - I found a fuse badly
melted last time and it wasn't obvious with a quick look -
I needed to remove the fuse - to see the blade half-gone !
Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?

My JD lawn tractor shuts down the engine if either the
blades are engaged or the parking brake is not set when
the seat switch opens.

Probably all are but...the X55 series are more than "just" lawnmowers;
the 955 I have is 30HP Cat-1 3-pt plus 5-ft bucket loader or bale spear,
etc., so it's a very useful little utility tractor.

The 655 is on the way low end on the HP and I don't know what the
capacity of the frontend loader might be as to whether it could pick up
a 1100-lb round bale high enough to move it around a little like the 955
can, but it'll still be more than just a mower.

One big PITA for me that is a deal breaker is the operator station
switch is interlocked with the PTO as well so (for example) can't use
the handheld wand with the sprayer. One could add an override switch
but bypassed in the entirety if fine as I think really is unnecessary.

I also use the frontend load a lot as a third hand when working by
myself. In that mode I operate the hydraulics from the ground. There
are just any number of things to do that do while not on the tractor itself.

I hadn't realized it had the tranny interlock even, the only way to have
the hydrostatic "in gear" would be to be physically pushing the
forward/reverse pedal while trying to crank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2020 10:43 AM, wrote:

Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?
John T.

The Deere X55 series is a more conventional compact utility tractor than
any other lawn tractor I've ever run across -- the whole series includes
both 3-pt rear hitch plus they have both rear and mid- conventional
six-spline PTO -- rear 540 rpm/mid at 2100 rpm @ 3200 engine rpm.

I suppose somebody else may make or have made such configuration as
small as the 655 w/ 16HP engine, but all the consumer brands I'm aware
of don't have rear PTO or 3-pt and most will use a belt drive for
midmount mower instead of PTO shaft.

The trouble with the operator station shutting off the tractor if PTO is
on is one outlined above -- if have a 3-pt sprayer with PTO-driven pump,
then one can't get off to use the hand wand or the like...

It can be ok to have for just a mower, the Deere ZTR is set up like you
describe and requires the hand brake to be set to get off even if blades
aren't on. But, while sometimes a nuisance because forget, it's not
really a problem in practice because it is only a mower; doesn't have
PTO for other uses the utility tractors in question have that leads to
other real uses that are not excessively risky.

One _could_ do really dumb things, of course, but that's on the operator
imo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:
On 8/31/2020 10:43 AM, wrote:

Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?
John T.

The Deere X55 series is a more conventional compact utility tractor than
any other lawn tractor I've ever run across -- the whole series includes
both 3-pt rear hitch plus they have both rear and mid- conventional
six-spline PTO -- rear 540 rpm/mid at 2100 rpm @ 3200 engine rpm.

I suppose somebody else may make or have made such configuration as
small as the 655 w/ 16HP engine, but all the consumer brands I'm aware
of don't have rear PTO or 3-pt and most will use a belt drive for
midmount mower instead of PTO shaft.

My Kubota B7800 (26hp, 22 at the PTO) has the 3-pt, rear 540 pto and
midmount PTO for a mower deck. To keep the rear PTO running when
dismounting the operators seat, the seat can be quickly flipped up
(e.g. when using the backhoe attachment for which the PTO drives the
hydraulic pump or when using a PTO-driven generator).

The trouble with the operator station shutting off the tractor if PTO is
on is one outlined above -- if have a 3-pt sprayer with PTO-driven pump,
then one can't get off to use the hand wand or the like...

It can be ok to have for just a mower, the Deere ZTR is set up like you
describe and requires the hand brake to be set to get off even if blades
aren't on. But, while sometimes a nuisance because forget, it's not
really a problem in practice because it is only a mower; doesn't have
PTO for other uses the utility tractors in question have that leads to
other real uses that are not excessively risky.

One _could_ do really dumb things, of course, but that's on the operator
imo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2020 9:59 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

My Kubota B7800 (26hp, 22 at the PTO) has the 3-pt, rear 540 pto and
midmount PTO for a mower deck. To keep the rear PTO running when
dismounting the operators seat, the seat can be quickly flipped up
(e.g. when using the backhoe attachment for which the PTO drives the
hydraulic pump or when using a PTO-driven generator).

Yeah, Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland, ... all do have line of compact
utility tractors very similar--I was comparing to the Lowes/Menards/Home
Depot sorta' lawn tractors that aren't anything similar that most folk
think of.

Huh...hadn't seen that trick of there apparently being another position
switch when seat is up? The 955 was in shop a couple years ago for some
serious work (the bolts holding front/rear halves together had worked
loose and actually broken a couple -- had to pull completely in two to
get broken stubs out and replace. I didn't have any convenient place to
set up to hold up the two halves so took it in to Mr Deere) and needed
to do some spot spraying in time-critical window so borrowed a new
similar-sized from dealer. It had same problem with the seat, stand up
to find the next spot to go touch up and it die...I don't think flipping
the seat up on it would have kept it going but never would have thought
to try.