Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 08:45:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 8/30/2020 9:20 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/30/20 8:36 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/30/2020 7:23 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 16:01:08 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

* brake must be on, in neutral, blade dissengaged, and driver on the
seat. From memory on my old JD lawn tractor.

The 955 doesn't demand the brake; I presume 655 won't either altho the
manual is downstairs and am too lazy to go look it up, but the
655/755/855/955 all have same base manual.

Well, did, but the only wiring diagram I have is 855/955; reminded me
tho there is the fuse block on the dash RH side; could be a fuse as
well as there is a fusible link in the starter line from +ive battery.

If have manual tranny, there's an in-neutral switch on it, too...this
955 is hydrostatic.

But, no sign of brake being in the starter interlock circuitry.

PTO, seat, tranny are it -- altho there is the glow plug timing module
if is diesel--dunno if any of the 655s were or not.

--

***** Yanmar 3 cyl. diesel
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/2/128-john-deere-655-engine.html

So they put the Yanmar and hydrostatic in the whole series -- @16 hp
that's more than I thought the 655 probably had, about half the 955. I
figured were 10 or so.

I'd still suspect cables first, but OP needs just start from battery and
figure out where loses continuity/voltage along the way. Clare's
suggestion to jump the solenoid to make sure it's ok is good quick check
too.

Somebody had short-circuited the operator station switch before I bought
this one so it's not the nuisance was with it -- it didn't/doesn't have
an override to be able to get off or move without killing it. Just not
practical for many farm operations.

I can't speak for Deere, but my WheelHorse was famous for wiring
problems involving the fuse holder block - I found a fuse badly
melted last time and it wasn't obvious with a quick look -
I needed to remove the fuse - to see the blade half-gone !
Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?
John T.