Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

On 8/31/2020 10:43 AM, wrote:

Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?
John T.

The Deere X55 series is a more conventional compact utility tractor than
any other lawn tractor I've ever run across -- the whole series includes
both 3-pt rear hitch plus they have both rear and mid- conventional
six-spline PTO -- rear 540 rpm/mid at 2100 rpm @ 3200 engine rpm.

I suppose somebody else may make or have made such configuration as
small as the 655 w/ 16HP engine, but all the consumer brands I'm aware
of don't have rear PTO or 3-pt and most will use a belt drive for
midmount mower instead of PTO shaft.

The trouble with the operator station shutting off the tractor if PTO is
on is one outlined above -- if have a 3-pt sprayer with PTO-driven pump,
then one can't get off to use the hand wand or the like...

It can be ok to have for just a mower, the Deere ZTR is set up like you
describe and requires the hand brake to be set to get off even if blades
aren't on. But, while sometimes a nuisance because forget, it's not
really a problem in practice because it is only a mower; doesn't have
PTO for other uses the utility tractors in question have that leads to
other real uses that are not excessively risky.

One _could_ do really dumb things, of course, but that's on the operator
imo.