Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

On 8/31/2020 11:41 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 08:45:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

I can't speak for Deere, but my WheelHorse was famous for wiring
problems involving the fuse holder block - I found a fuse badly
melted last time and it wasn't obvious with a quick look -
I needed to remove the fuse - to see the blade half-gone !
Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?

My JD lawn tractor shuts down the engine if either the
blades are engaged or the parking brake is not set when
the seat switch opens.

Probably all are but...the X55 series are more than "just" lawnmowers;
the 955 I have is 30HP Cat-1 3-pt plus 5-ft bucket loader or bale spear,
etc., so it's a very useful little utility tractor.

The 655 is on the way low end on the HP and I don't know what the
capacity of the frontend loader might be as to whether it could pick up
a 1100-lb round bale high enough to move it around a little like the 955
can, but it'll still be more than just a mower.

One big PITA for me that is a deal breaker is the operator station
switch is interlocked with the PTO as well so (for example) can't use
the handheld wand with the sprayer. One could add an override switch
but bypassed in the entirety if fine as I think really is unnecessary.

I also use the frontend load a lot as a third hand when working by
myself. In that mode I operate the hydraulics from the ground. There
are just any number of things to do that do while not on the tractor itself.

I hadn't realized it had the tranny interlock even, the only way to have
the hydrostatic "in gear" would be to be physically pushing the
forward/reverse pedal while trying to crank.