Man on the mountain

Chuck,

Go to Google and type in John Deer and it will take you to their web site.
You can look up your tractor there and even the manual/s for tractors. They
also have a "help" site.

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a JD 655 compact tractor/mower with a 3 cyl diesel engine. The
starter went bad and I took it to a guy who fixes starters and
alternators.
He removed it from the tractor, took it apart and determined that he
couldn't fix it.

I took it to another guy who fixed it. Now I need to re-install it on the
tractor. No problem - except for one thing. Since the first mechanic
removed it from the tractor, I didn't notice where all of the wires
connect.
Actually, I know where they all go except ONE. There is the battery cable
and generator cable that connect to one side of the solenoid and the cable
from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

The remaining wire runs over to what appears to be a fuel shutoff. I
THINK
it connects to the hot terminal on the solenoid but when I connect it, the
fuel shutoff engages - even when the ignition is off. Obviously, this
would
drain the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the purpose of this wire AND where
it
connects?

Thanks.

Chuck