Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

dpb writes:
On 8/31/2020 10:43 AM, wrote:

Also - the seat safety switch is a good thing - when it
functions like my WheelHorse - it only shuts-down the engine
if the blades are engaged - I can't understand why apparently
some other lawn tractors are wired differently ?
John T.

The Deere X55 series is a more conventional compact utility tractor than
any other lawn tractor I've ever run across -- the whole series includes
both 3-pt rear hitch plus they have both rear and mid- conventional
six-spline PTO -- rear 540 rpm/mid at 2100 rpm @ 3200 engine rpm.

I suppose somebody else may make or have made such configuration as
small as the 655 w/ 16HP engine, but all the consumer brands I'm aware
of don't have rear PTO or 3-pt and most will use a belt drive for
midmount mower instead of PTO shaft.

My Kubota B7800 (26hp, 22 at the PTO) has the 3-pt, rear 540 pto and
midmount PTO for a mower deck. To keep the rear PTO running when
dismounting the operators seat, the seat can be quickly flipped up
(e.g. when using the backhoe attachment for which the PTO drives the
hydraulic pump or when using a PTO-driven generator).

The trouble with the operator station shutting off the tractor if PTO is
on is one outlined above -- if have a 3-pt sprayer with PTO-driven pump,
then one can't get off to use the hand wand or the like...

It can be ok to have for just a mower, the Deere ZTR is set up like you
describe and requires the hand brake to be set to get off even if blades
aren't on. But, while sometimes a nuisance because forget, it's not
really a problem in practice because it is only a mower; doesn't have
PTO for other uses the utility tractors in question have that leads to
other real uses that are not excessively risky.

One _could_ do really dumb things, of course, but that's on the operator
imo.