phil

Default Electrical wiring inspector?

Is there such a person as an electrical wiring inspector?

I mean someone who will check on not only the safety of the wiring but
also the general structure (ie whether it's likely to cause electrical
problems in the future such as tripping fuses and the like)?

And more to the point, do they charge much?

I've recently moved into a property that has one one major problem
with the wiring and still has the odd 'hiccup' (a light in an
out-building, when switched on, blows a trip switch; intermittent
slight flickering of lights in the house itself; and the mysterious
case of a tripped fuse on the lighting circuit this morning).

All in all, I think whoever wired the place bodged the job a bit (some
of the wiring is obviously new, and some a bit older).

I am somewhat loathe to call out an electrician to do the inspection
as, knowing my luck, I'll end up with one who recommends the maximum
work when all I want doing is the basics to ensure that we don't get
any more wiring problems and that it's safe.

I live near Carmarthen in Wales if it's of any relevance, out in the
wilds.

Phil

phil

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:36:20 +0000, PoP
wrote:

Is there such a person as an electrical wiring inspector?

He's called an electrician. Only you should check to make sure he is
capable of carrying out certification of electrical installations - I
think that means he should be able to show you his NICEIC card.

I see, thanks.

As for your comments about an electrician trying it on with respect to
what's needed, that does seem to be a bit of a slur on the industry.
Most electricians will be fine upstanding people who can be trusted to
give you good advice.

I'm sure they are and no slur was intended, but there's a few bad
apples in every barrel I'm afraid hence my reason for asking if there
was such a person as an independant inspector (or in this case,
electrician :-)

And there's nothing to stop you getting 2-3 quotes from different
electricians - and I would encourage you to do that regardless. If
they all come up with the same advice then it's a sure bet that the
necessary work has been identified by each. You would need to question
any deviances.

Indeed, thanks.

Getting hold of a suitably qualified electrician is probably your main
problem. There are quite a few have-a-go heroes who may well be
qualified electricians - but I understand that relatively few of them
(about 20% was the number I heard!) are qualified to carry out
installation testing. Check the NICEIC card.....

Will do.

If you can't find a suitable electrician then poke around on the
NICEIC web site:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/

I'll give it a go. Many thanks for your help and advice.

Phil

Owain

"PoP" wrote
| He's called an electrician. Only you should check to make sure he
| is capable of carrying out certification of electrical installations
| - I think that means he should be able to show you his NICEIC card.

NICEIC is a trade association of member firms and does not certify an
individual's technical qualifications.

"Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City &
Guilds 2391" is what is required.

Owain

phil

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:58:13 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

NICEIC is a trade association of member firms and does not certify an
individual's technical qualifications.

"Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City &
Guilds 2391" is what is required.

I see. So is there a web site that lists those electricians (by
location) with that qualification?

Ta
Phil

PoP

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:24:01 GMT, (phil)
wrote:

I'm sure they are and no slur was intended, but there's a few bad
apples in every barrel I'm afraid hence my reason for asking if there
was such a person as an independant inspector (or in this case,
electrician :-)

Bad apples are in every type of profession, very profuse in the world
of politics I believe

Some general pointers which could be helpful might be, in no
particular order:

Does the electrician have a web site?
Does he have a landline (not mobile) phone number?
What does he say when you ask "do you have an NICEIC card"?
Has he been recommended by others?

The former questions give some visible means of stability and having
been in business for a while. He's probably likely to be around next
year too.

The question about NICEIC card could be quite important. You might
find the sparky saying something along the lines of "no, I don't need
one of those". In reality he really doesn't - he can still be a
qualified sparky without ever joining NICEIC, so it's only a
half-pointer for you. But without NICEIC he isn't able to certificate
his work (not sure if this is the case today - but in a few months
time that's going to be the law).

On the other hand, if he does have NICEIC membership then he's
probably (note "probably" - I understand there are bad apples in
NICEIC!) okay. Reason being that to join NICEIC he has to be
positively vetted by the organisation and some of his work inspected.
That vetting doesn't necessarily mean free of all evil, but if he's
gone to the bother of getting his NICEIC membership then luck says
he'll be on the right side of the track.

Andrew

PoP

wrote:

NICEIC is a trade association of member firms and does not certify an
individual's technical qualifications.

Err, not quite true I think. To join NICEIC you have to be positively
vetted, and have some of your work inspected at random. You have to
have documented procedures etc to join NICEIC.

Perhaps we are arguing here about schemantics rather than substance. I
think I would agree that NICEIC doesn't necessarily suggest technical
qualifications.

"Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City &
Guilds 2391" is what is required.

Undoubtedly. But even with C&G2391 our hapless electrician won't be
able to issue certificates - at least under the new legislation which
is being imposed shortly. That legislation requires that the
electrician is a member of NICEIC or another organisation recognised
as being competent to administer electricians (right now there's only
the NICEIC in that unique club).

So your electrician will be able to test and install, but won't be
able to write a valid certificate for the installation. Leastways,
that's the way I read the legislation.

PoP

Owain

"phil" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| NICEIC is a trade association of member firms and does not certify an
| individual's technical qualifications.
| "Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City &
| Guilds 2391" is what is required.
| I see. So is there a web site that lists those electricians (by
| location) with that qualification?

I don't think so. You have to ask each firm whether the person they will be
sending to your job will have this qualification.

Owain

Owain

"PoP" wrote
| Err, not quite true I think. To join NICEIC you have to be positively
| vetted, and have some of your work inspected at random. You have to
| have documented procedures etc to join NICEIC.

That applies to the firm, not the individual. AIUI only *one* designated
individual in a NICEIC firm actually has to be qualified.

| "Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City &
| Guilds 2391" is what is required.
| Undoubtedly. But even with C&G2391 our hapless electrician won't be
| able to issue certificates - at least under the new legislation which
| is being imposed shortly. That legislation requires that the
| electrician is a member of NICEIC or another organisation recognised
| as being competent to administer electricians (right now there's only
| the NICEIC in that unique club).

He will still be competent under the IEE Wiring Regulations to certify an
installation as complying with those Regulations.

| So your electrician will be able to test and install, but won't be
| able to write a valid certificate for the installation. Leastways,
| that's the way I read the legislation.

What he will not be able to do is exempt the householder from a Building
Control application.

In a similar way a Structural Engineer can sign a design certificate for a
lintel but that does *not* exempt the householder from a B.C. application
for making a new hole in a wall.

It's quite possible, indeed probable, that there will be installations
carried out by employees of NICEIC registered firms, those employees are
allowed to exempt the installation from a Building Control application but
they are not competent to sign the certificate under the IEE Regs.

Owain

bob

However the new regs (due to come in on April 1st 2004) advise that
the person issuing certificates for an installation must be recognised
by NICEIC - as I understand it.

No mention of JIB that I've come across.

The JIB (Joint Industry Board for the Electrical Contracting Industry)
is a member of the consultative committee for the implementation of
BS7671 into Building Control Regulations under its parent organisation
ECA.
You can visit the JIB website at
http://www.jib.org.uk/
bob

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"phil" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| NICEIC is a trade association of member firms and does not certify an
| individual's technical qualifications.
| "Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City &
| Guilds 2391" is what is required.
| I see. So is there a web site that lists those electricians (by
| location) with that qualification?

I don't think so. You have to ask each firm whether the person they will be
sending to your job will have this qualification.

Owain

Try Here
http://www.jib.org.uk/
Bob