D. J. Dorn

Default Had enough of the crap here

I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

Robatoy

In article ,
"D. J. Dorn" wrote:

I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

And your leaving helps us how?
I find my kill filters work really well.
Ya gotto dig a lot of dirt if you want find diamonds.

Don't hand the scriptkiddies a victory, Don.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob
Doug Miller

In article , "D. J. Dorn" wrote:
I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

It's *very* easy to avoid the troll posts. Do a Google search on this
newsgroup for "nfilter" or "newsproxy". Then download my TrollFilters; see my
sig for download instructions. Up until this morning, I hadn't seen *any* of
the "disgusting posts" for a *long* time, and the filters are already updated
to catch the garbage that got through earlier today.

--
Regards,

loutent

Gotta agree with Robatoy,

Just added about 10 new filters to my list this morning.
Gets rid of 99% of the trash.

My feeling is that the net is full of this stuff anyway, so
just not participating won't solve anything. Just gotta
work around this stuff.

I think that it's worth the little bit of time & trouble.

Lou

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"D. J. Dorn" wrote:

I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

And your leaving helps us how?
I find my kill filters work really well.
Ya gotto dig a lot of dirt if you want find diamonds.

Don't hand the scriptkiddies a victory, Don.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob

Woodchuck34

I don't use a newgroup reader myself. What's the point to downloading
all this stuff into your computer when Google posts everything on their
server. I look at the titles and just pass by the troll posts. If you
don't want to do that, just keep tapping that delete button, but down
leave the group. There's too much good info here.

Chuck

Mr Beefy

As a newbie to this newsgroup, I will say that the amount of crap this
is posted is a pain, but the useful knowledge balances it out. I use
Google also, and it is easy enough to avoid the trolls.

Pat

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

D. J. Dorn wrote:
I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

What disgusting posts? I haven't seen one in months. At least not here...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Charlie Self

I'm using Google, too, but I no longer pass by the trolls and other
fools. The "show options" bit lets me post an abuse report easily. Too
early by far to see if that does any good, I think, but if it doesn't,
I can just avoid them, though the language and concepts get old in a
rush.

Leon

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

When do you recall that it was not like this?

Teamcasa

My delete button still works.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

NorthIdahoWWer

I tend to agree more with Don. There are not only more porn postings here,
which I know are under no control by actual woodworkers, but I recently
posted pics on abpw on a railing I did and there was more discussion about
the size of the pictures than on the work itself. What a complete waste of
time. I've found myself coming here less and less as the topic strays more
and more from woodworking.

If I have a specific question about something, the people here have always
been very helpful. I just get annoyed by the ot rants people get on and
it's becoming too time consuming to weed through it to find the useful
information. Anyway, that's my rant.

Will

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such a
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

Rick Cox

I love this group and I love the information that I get out of this group.
The rants are where I learn some good stuff. It reminds me of asking an IT
guy a question at work.....You are going to get an answer, but you are going
to have ask.....then listen to a rant on user error, ip addresses
logins...what bill in accounting is doing...etc....some where in the middle
of that is what you needed to know.

Also, most people willing to go on a rant have strong convictions about the
topic, probablly because they made the same mistake once.

Per Will Rogers

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgment.

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help
here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through
such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such
productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

Vic Baron

Understood but I was in the same position a while back and because I READ
some of the rants about size, I took the time to locate a resize application
before I uploaded. If you visit any binary group that uploads pix there will
ALWAYS be a discussion about size. True, some people belabor the point but
you did learn something, didn't you?

AS far as the other stuff - I have three options - kill filter, delete key
or just ignore. Unfortunately it comes with the territory and you will
always have something like this going on in any newsgroup or forum. When one
troll leaves another takes it's place.

SO WHAT! It is annoying yes but the overall info in this group is
exceptional.

IMHO, giving up on the group lets the bad guys win - that is their entire
aim - cause enough disturbance to disrupt everything.

Vic

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I've learned a great deal from people on this newsgroup either by asking
questions or by lurking. Hopefully, I've been able to pass some help

here
and there as well. For the time being, I've decided to take a hiatus
because I'm sick of all the disgusting posts and people going through

such
lengths to prevent you from blocking them. It's truly a shame that such

productive newsgroup has to be ruined by such people.

Don

firstjois

Charlie Self wrote:
I'm using Google, too, but I no longer pass by the trolls and other
fools. The "show options" bit lets me post an abuse report easily.
Too early by far to see if that does any good, I think, but if it
doesn't, I can just avoid them, though the language and concepts get
old in a rush.

Ditto - you know, it only takes a couple of seconds to send the "innards"
and body of the messsage to the abuse program of the sender. People who
circumvent this with special ISP and program covers still want recognition
(duh) and you can use your blocker to take care of them. (They use parts
of the same name over and over again so you can have the blocker block
anyone with whatever portion of their address they use over and over in
the "From" of the message.)

Doug Miller's suggested program is an excellent option and you can ask it
to block any email that has more than 1, 2, or 20 newsgroups in the "To"
line. That takes care of a lot of trash as well.

To me it is like washing the salt off the car or raking the leaves off the
grass.

Josie

I'm suprised that Google allows this. Alot of message boards trash the
account of anyone ever doing this.

Additionally, the PERL scripts that generate these pages from the posts
can scan for any words that are not allowed. If it finds a bad word (or
even something that resembles a bad word), the post gets deleted.

Instead of quitting the board, send your complaints to Google. Hey -
they must be a family-friendly company - right?

Bob Haar

On 2005/3/31 9:27 AM, "Woodchuck34" wrote:

I don't use a newgroup reader myself. What's the point to downloading
all this stuff into your computer when Google posts everything on their
server. I look at the titles and just pass by the troll posts.

All the newsreaders that I have used will function that same way. I download
just the headers until I see a subject of interest. When I click on a
message, then the body of the message is retrieved and displayed, but not
before I request it.

Owen Lowe

In article .com,
"Charlie Self" wrote:

I'm using Google, too, but I no longer pass by the trolls and other
fools. The "show options" bit lets me post an abuse report easily. Too
early by far to see if that does any good, I think, but if it doesn't,
I can just avoid them, though the language and concepts get old in a
rush.

The pitiful thing is that these people get a kick out of trying to rile
up a bunch of middle-age guys and old coots. The fact that they have
nothing better to do than get a few giggles and snickers from posting
their middle school based humor on a group of woodworkers - WOODWORKERS!
FOR GOD'S SAKE! - speaks volumes about their dismal existence.

I'm thinking it's Spring Break rotating around the country - sparks an
image of a socially inept, friendless kid sitting home on Friday and
Saturday nights. What else is there to do but watch the tube, play video
games, spam a bunch of newsgroups, and download porn ( with the expected
blistering frenzy to follow.)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Unquestionably Confused

Owen Lowe wrote:
[snip]

I'm thinking it's Spring Break rotating around the country - sparks an
image of a socially inept, friendless kid sitting home on Friday and
Saturday nights. What else is there to do but watch the tube, play video
games, spam a bunch of newsgroups, and download porn ( with the expected
blistering frenzy to follow.)

Well, that would account for blisters on two fingers, perhaps. Just
think... if they would actually do some work, they might be able to
have blisters all over their handsg

Renata

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:31:35 -0800, Owen Lowe
wrote:

The pitiful thing is that these people get a kick out of trying to rile
up a bunch of middle-age guys and old coots.

Ahem! Speak for yourself but I certainly ain't no middle aged old
coot!!

The fact that they have
nothing better to do than get a few giggles and snickers from posting
their middle school based humor on a group of woodworkers - WOODWORKERS!
FOR GOD'S SAKE! - speaks volumes about their dismal existence.

You ever heard of "di-ver-si-ty? Not all WW's are "old coots"!
Though most aren't middle school neither...

-snip-

Renata
Dave in Fairfax

Owen Lowe wrote:
The pitiful thing is that these people get a kick out of trying to rile
up a bunch of middle-age guys and old coots. The fact that they have
nothing better to do than get a few giggles and snickers from posting
their middle school based humor on a group of woodworkers - WOODWORKERS!
FOR GOD'S SAKE! - speaks volumes about their dismal existence.

I'm thinking it's Spring Break rotating around the country - sparks an
image of a socially inept, friendless kid sitting home on Friday and
Saturday nights. What else is there to do but watch the tube, play video
games, spam a bunch of newsgroups, and download porn ( with the expected
blistering frenzy to follow.)

I figured that was what was going on, but it's worse than you've
considered. They'd prefer poking us than wanking off. Now I'm
not gonna start a discussion of the merits or techniques of
wanking, but when you consider that they get greater satisfaction
from annoying a bunch of balding, old guys, it's pretty pitiful.
I apologise to any of the ladies who felt slighted, by the
exclusion. I can only assume that the "two fingers method" that
Unquestionably Confused mentioned, was a too generous assumption.
Can't find it, can't pull it.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

max

Hey, What is this balding old guys crack?
I have a full head of hair and am under 100.
Still have all of my fingers even though I've been cutting wood for 30
years. Actually, fingers are all there but do have nerve damage on the tip
of two from work shop accidents.
max

Owen Lowe wrote:
[...]

Owen Lowe wrote:
(snip).

[...]

Yep. Your thinking is consistent with my blanket philosophy regarding
the sad people who need to rankle others or just be generally obnoxious
to satisfy some emotional need. I always say:

"Being them is its own punishment".

That philosophy allows me to move on and forget about it.

And it's also important for the rest of us to realize that it's almost
impossible to chastise, enlighten, punish, or impact these cyber-jerks
in any way at all. To attempt to do so is a waste of (virtual) breath.
Our angry responses are exactly what they are seeking and only serve to
intensify the barrage.

That being said, it really is EASY to identify these posts from the
title, and it's EASY to skip over them. To me it's easier than
downloading the blocker software, though that's a good option too. You
won't hear me saying "I found the 40 obscene posts that I just read
extremely offensive". I wasn't offended by any of them because I DIDN'T
READ THEM.

Above all, it's absolutely critical that we all discipline ourselves to
ignore these posts and NOT reply. They'll get bored and go away. It's
been stated time and time again, but some of us can't resist. If you
reply in ANY way, your are essentially making a formal request for more
abuse. Put away your righteous indignation and skip down to the next
interesting title.

Wow, this turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry...

Tom

max wrote:
Hey, What is this balding old guys crack?

He must have been describing a plumber.

--

FF

Doug Miller wrote:
(snip)
It's not that easy to skip over them when there are thirty-seven

_hundred_ of
them, like there were last night, with a couple of dozen useful posts

interspersed.

I see what you're saying. I forget that most people use a different
message view than I do.

To me it's easier than
downloading the blocker software, though that's a good option too.

You
won't hear me saying "I found the 40 obscene posts that I just read
extremely offensive". I wasn't offended by any of them because I

DIDN'T
READ THEM.

Unfortunately, some of these posts have grossly offensive subject

lines; every
newsreader I'm familiar with downloads the headers of every post, and

if you
don't have filtering software in place to remove them, it's pretty

hard to
avoid seeing the subject lines.

That's true too. I'm pretty thick skinned so it doesn't bother me, but
I'm sensitive to the fact that that language can be upsetting to folks.
Also, it's sad that this trash forces parents to keep their kids off a
woodworking newsgroup for cryin' out loud!

Morris Dovey

Doug Miller wrote:

Nobody ever left footprints in the sands of time by sitting on
his butt. And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of
time?

I'd be most interesting if one day these buttprints reappeared
when some prospective wife/employer/customer/client decided to
dig out a bit of background information...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

a bunch of balding, old guys

Hey, watch it. What's this about "balding"? I'll have you know that I
still have all my hair and even a lot of hair(s) that I never used to
have. Why, I have hairs growing from many orifices that never had hair
before.

Gerry waxing indignant
Tom Watson

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:46:59 -0500, "G.E.R.R.Y."
wrote:

In article , Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

a bunch of balding, old guys

Hey, watch it. What's this about "balding"? I'll have you know that I
still have all my hair and even a lot of hair(s) that I never used to
have. Why, I have hairs growing from many orifices that never had hair
before.

Gerry waxing indignant

You'd better make that a bikini wax.

I figger I still have the same amount of hair as I did at thirty -
it's just moved to different places.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

BTW, thanks for that visual Gerry.

You should be thankful now that I have a digital camera and I'm not
afraid to use it. ;-)

Gerry
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

Why, I have hairs growing from many orifices that never had hair
before.

Yep, just noticed since turning 43 a few months back that I've suddenly
sprouted the beginnings of what may end up, if I'll be fortunate to hang
in here at least another 10 or 15 years, being Maniacal Eyebrows and
Furry Earbumps (those little protrusions to the cheek side of my ears).
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
____

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Renata wrote:

The pitiful thing is that these people get a kick out of trying to rile
up a bunch of middle-age guys and old coots.

Ahem! Speak for yourself but I certainly ain't no middle aged old
coot!!

My apologies, fair lady, I was speaking in demographic generalities.

The fact that they have
nothing better to do than get a few giggles and snickers from posting
their middle school based humor on a group of woodworkers - WOODWORKERS!
FOR GOD'S SAKE! - speaks volumes about their dismal existence.

You ever heard of "di-ver-si-ty?

Isn't that Ol' C-less's deally?
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
____

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:20:42 +0100, the inscrutable Martin Evans
spake:

(Doug Miller) wrote:

It's *very* easy to avoid the troll posts. Do a Google search on this
newsgroup for "nfilter" or "newsproxy". Then download my TrollFilters; see my
sig for download instructions. Up until this morning, I hadn't seen *any* of
the "disgusting posts" for a *long* time, and the filters are already updated
to catch the garbage that got through earlier today.

I've been on Usenet for many years using Agent almost every day.
Despite my well honed headers for email spam Usenet filtering is
lacking somewhat in Agent. So thanks for the tip Doug. It's easy to
install and use and hardly delays header retrieval at all.

I won't buy the upgrade until the day they improve the filtering.
(I tried 2.0 and reverted to 1.93 because very few things had changed
enough to warrant the upgrade fee (at least how I use agent, for news
only.)

Once Agent can filter on message text, they'll have gone a long,
long way toward making a perfect product. I just wish they'd DO
that. Then I could filter out replies to the jerks as well as the
jerks. As it is now, I have to nuke the sender and ALL repliers to
their posts if I don't want to see a particular person's messages.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications
skeezics

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:18:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Once Agent can filter on message text, they'll have gone a long,
long way toward making a perfect product. I just wish they'd DO
that. Then I could filter out replies to the jerks as well as the
jerks. As it is now, I have to nuke the sender and ALL repliers to
their posts if I don't want to see a particular person's messages.

it can.

filter by subject. when you hit the filter button click the button
that says by subject or past subject and then yes. this gets the
entire subject gone. violla!!! but it dont stop the trolls who
bombard us with several hundred different subject lines and addresses.

skeez
alexy

wrote:

Once Agent can filter on message text, they'll have gone a long,
long way toward making a perfect product. I just wish they'd DO
that. Then I could filter out replies to the jerks as well as the
jerks. As it is now, I have to nuke the sender and ALL repliers to
their posts if I don't want to see a particular person's messages.

it can.

filter by subject. when you hit the filter button click the button
that says by subject or past subject and then yes. this gets the
entire subject gone. violla!!!

And in what way does filtering on the subject header satisfy the
desire to be able to filter on message text?