Rob Ritch

Default Band Saw comparison

SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking
at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14". I have heard
good things about both saws so quality comparison is not my real concern,
although I will closely compare the two. My bigger question is the
different style of the two saws. The Rikon is a European style saw and
therefore a riser block is not an option. With the Delta I can obviously
add a riser to allow 12" resaw. I am not sure how important the 12"
capacity will be to me. To date I have done some 5" - 6" resawing on my
old craftsman 12" but have never had a need for any more than that. Keep
in mind that I only have a 6: jointer so I can not prep bigger at this time
unless I learn to do it with hand planes. From what I understand the
European style saws tend to be smoother, and the Rikon has a 1hp motor and
roller guides; but I am concerned that I will want to resaw larger pieces
in the future. Of course my dad already has the 28-276 so I could always
use his to resaw in the future. What are other people’s opinions about the
two different styles of saw, and these saws in particular? TIA

-Rob
George

"Rob Ritch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
[...]

Both styles have been around for a while, so nobody gets longevity points.
Points are awarded, in my mind for robustness of table and trunnion. (D)

Roller guides are useful in certain circumstances, worse than useless in
others. Points for ease of change, perhaps. (D)

One horse options for the Delta, so add the bucks to your price comparison.
If you saw big or wet, really makes a difference in speed. (R)

Used to say the parts chain would be open forever, but that's in doubt - for
both. Still, in sheer numbers of saws, I still like my Delta's chances,
which is why I'd recommend it.

Swingman

"Rob Ritch" wrote in message

use his to resaw in the future. What are other people’s opinions about

the
two different styles of saw, and these saws in particular? TIA

I own an older, but not ancient 14" Delta, closed stand, with a riser block.
The answer to the question really depends upon what is your main use of the
saw.

Although I have the riser block installed, I've rarely approached the
capacity in most of my furniture and cabinet endeavors. IOW, I don't think I
would miss it.

In short, do you really need the added capacity with the riser? If not, I'd
pick the smoothest cutting, most vibration free of the two. Since you
already have a 28-276 as a go-by, I'd certainly tryout the Rikon, equipped
with the same blade, for those qualities before making up my mind.

Also keep in mind that, at least in my experience, the addition of the riser
can often throw things out of whack and, particularly with the newer models,
getting them back cutting to "spec" may be more of an involved process than
you want to be bothered with if all what you want to do is make sawdust.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Doug Miller

In article 36, Rob Ritch wrote:
SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking
at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14".

Couple of points to consider:

When I was in the market for a bandsaw a few years ago, I decided *against*
the Delta 14" open-stand model in part due to the position of the switch: too
low to be easily reached by hand (particularly if the need arises to shut it
off quickly), and low enough that it could be bumped by a leg or knee. I don't
want the saw turning on or off accidentally.

I settled on the Delta 14" closed-stand with Carter roller guides. While the
roller guides are *great* for resawing, or for ripping thick stock, they
*suck* for scrollwork. You can't use blades smaller than 3/16" with roller
guides: there just isn't enough metal there to guide. For scrollwork, you need
a finer blade than 3/16, and that means you need guide *blocks* that can
completely enclose the blade.

Also, the roller guides are a real pain in the neck to adjust, when you change
to a blade of a different thickness. Block guides generally have a
micrometer-style thickness adjustment.

--
Regards,

Never Enough Money

Why did you exclude the Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS from your
choices. I think it beats out both Delta and Rikon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=552914
[snip]

Rob Ritch

"Never Enough Money" wrote in
ups.com:

Why did you exclude the Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS from your
choices. I think it beats out both Delta and Rikon.

Simple matter of cost. $900.oo is not in the budget.
Never Enough Money

The Delta 14" model 475 (I think) is roughly the same cost. Is that not
the 14" Delta you were looking at?

Rob Ritch

"Never Enough Money" wrote in
oups.com:

The Delta 14" model 475 (I think) is roughly the same cost. Is that not
the 14" Delta you were looking at?

The one that I am looking at is the 28-276 at ~$450.00

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1108736507/sr=
8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl60/104-9149691-9227923?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

Rob Ritch wrote:
"Never Enough Money" wrote in
oups.com:

The Delta 14" model 475 (I think) is roughly the same cost. Is that

not
the 14" Delta you were looking at?

The one that I am looking at is the 28-276 at ~$450.00

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1108736507/sr=

8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl60/104-9149691-9227923?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

$450 seems steep. This exact same model is available at Lowes for
$399.

Just got this e-mail from Grizzly...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1019

looks like they are having a closeout on their 14".

The riser kit is $40.00

Phisherman

No comparison. The Delta will give a more accurate cut, it is a
higher quality machine. Plus, the Delta will have more options,
accessories, and parts available 10 years from now.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:02:56 -0600, Rob Ritch
wrote:

[...]

mac davis

wrote:

[...]

Rob.. you have a lot more band saw experience than me.. I've had mine for about
2 weeks.. *g*

I have the ridgid bs1402, which seems identical to the griz.. not sure how it
compares to the Delta.. it was on "sale" at HD for $350..

About the riser block issue.. I just got mine (from griz) and will install it
this weekend..
My main reason for the extra cutting height is for slicing bowl blanks, but
there is another issue that you might want to consider..
I want to build a better table and fence system for mine, probably like
Charlie's..
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...leDetails.html

I figure that making a NEW table is reinventing the wheel, but adding a table
such as Charlie's makes sense..
If I add the table to my saw as it is now, I'm probably going to lose between 1"
and 2" off my max cut, because of the added thickness of the table..
An inch or 2 off 12" is a lot less "ouch" than the same amount off 6"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

wrote:

[...]

Mac, I just picked up the exact same Ridgid about 45 minutes ago. What
are your thoughts on this saw?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

George

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article 36, Rob

Ritch wrote:
SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking
at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14".

Couple of points to consider:

When I was in the market for a bandsaw a few years ago, I decided

*against*
the Delta 14" open-stand model in part due to the position of the switch:

too
low to be easily reached by hand (particularly if the need arises to shut

it
off quickly), and low enough that it could be bumped by a leg or knee. I

don't
want the saw turning on or off accidentally.

The mounting holes for the switch box were already there on mine, so I
mounted a box right where the closed stand switch mounts. Not having the
closed stand gives me a bit of "storage" for someday wood underneath, with
an additional plywood shelf to which the casters are mounted where the floor
would be.

mac davis

On 18 Feb 2005 10:18:10 -0800, "
wrote:

Mac, I just picked up the exact same Ridgid about 45 minutes ago. What
are your thoughts on this saw?

mac

Thought ONE: follow the part of the assembly directions that state "have a
helper when you take the band saw out of the box and place on stand"..

I spent over an hour putting the stand together and then didn't have the
patience to go find help..
As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by myself..
NOT a good idea..

Once the thing is assembled and steady on the feet, it seems very nice...
I can't compare it to any other saw, but the bottom guides seem really hard to
get to and/or see when you do your adjustments... almost need to take the table
off to do it right..

The dust collection is very poor.. I'm thinking of putting a 4" port in the
bottom door, but it would be a PITA for cleaning and stuff, and if you happen to
stand in front of the table, it would get in the way..

I was sort of worried about the Ridgid brand, but it's the same as a Grizzly, so
it can't be that bad.. it cuts well and now I wonder what I did without it!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

John

mac davis wrote:
On 18 Feb 2005 10:18:10 -0800, "
wrote:

Mac, I just picked up the exact same Ridgid about 45 minutes ago. What
are your thoughts on this saw?

mac

Thought ONE: follow the part of the assembly directions that state "have a
helper when you take the band saw out of the box and place on stand"..

I spent over an hour putting the stand together and then didn't have the
patience to go find help..
As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by myself..
NOT a good idea..

I tried that when I assembled mine and decided no way. I bolted the saw
to the stand with both lying on their sides. Easier to walk it up to
vertical then to lift it on to the stand.

Once the thing is assembled and steady on the feet, it seems very nice...
I can't compare it to any other saw, but the bottom guides seem really hard to
get to and/or see when you do your adjustments... almost need to take the table
off to do it right..

I have found it convenient to do just that since I do not change the
blade too often. It is so much easier to set the guides with no table.
Plus you get great access to clean out sawdust.

The dust collection is very poor.. I'm thinking of putting a 4" port in the
bottom door, but it would be a PITA for cleaning and stuff, and if you happen to
stand in front of the table, it would get in the way..

I put a 4" adaptor on the existing port and connected a portable dust
collector. A lot better than nothing but still leaves a lot compared to
the same dust collector on a jointer or planer.

I was sort of worried about the Ridgid brand, but it's the same as a Grizzly, so
it can't be that bad.. it cuts well and now I wonder what I did without it!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

John

Bob G.

As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by myself..
NOT a good idea..

mac

==================
ROTFLMAO..... As a guy just a few years older then you (61) I can
relate...but my body honestly has no idea of what it looks like
(pictured itself) ...it does however have lots of parts (arms, legs,
knees, back etc that send a signal up to my 18 year old brain
telling the brain that boy this guy is going to feel it tomorrow...

Bob Griffiths

Rob Ritch

Rob Ritch wrote in
. 97.136:

SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am
looking at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14".

Went to the woodworking show this weekend and ended up getting a good deal
on the Jet 14" closed stand. Was able to pick it up for $455.00 after
$50.00 mail in rebate. Put it together and installed the Kreg fence this
afternoon. First impressions is that this is a much nicer saw than either
of the other 2 that I was looking at (Was able to look at all 3 at the
show)

firstjois

Rob Ritch wrote:
Rob Ritch wrote in
. 97.136:

SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am
looking at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14".

Went to the woodworking show this weekend and ended up getting a
good deal on the Jet 14" closed stand. Was able to pick it up for
$455.00 after $50.00 mail in rebate. Put it together and installed
the Kreg fence this afternoon. First impressions is that this is a
much nicer saw than either of the other 2 that I was looking at (Was
able to look at all 3 at the show)

Woodworking show at the Expo? I drooled on the Mini Max band saw and that
all-in-one whatever it was near by. It took me a few minutes to figure out
what did what and where you'd stand to use the TS component.

I missed the Kreg display - too many people around it. What made you
decide on the Kreg fence?

Josie

Norman D. Crow

"Bob G." wrote in message

As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by

myself..
NOT a good idea..

mac

==================
ROTFLMAO..... As a guy just a few years older then you (61) I can
relate...but my body honestly has no idea of what it looks like
(pictured itself) ...it does however have lots of parts (arms, legs,
knees, back etc that send a signal up to my 18 year old brain
telling the brain that boy this guy is going to feel it tomorrow...

Ayup. Thank God for a strapping 14 yr. old Grandson! Not at all sure this
67(then) yr. old would have gotten the G0555 stand & rolling base together,
then get the saw itself down the cellar steps.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

mac davis

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:23:46 -0500, Bob G. wrote:

As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by myself..
NOT a good idea..

mac

==================
ROTFLMAO..... As a guy just a few years older then you (61) I can
relate...but my body honestly has no idea of what it looks like
(pictured itself) ...it does however have lots of parts (arms, legs,
knees, back etc that send a signal up to my 18 year old brain
telling the brain that boy this guy is going to feel it tomorrow...

Bob Griffiths

Your mental image is always out of date, Bob... *g*

I got my first real taste of this factor when I started playing volleyball at
about 38 or 40... it FELT like I was going up about 2 feet to block shots, but
in reality it was probably 3 or 4 inches.. lol

The last time that I'd played was in high school, so my mental image must have
been VERY dated..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ba r r y

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:33:28 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

I got my first real taste of this factor when I started playing volleyball at
about 38 or 40... it FELT like I was going up about 2 feet to block shots, but
in reality it was probably 3 or 4 inches.. lol

The last time that I'd played was in high school, so my mental image must have
been VERY dated..

That's what's great about cycling. We have tools like cyclocomputers
and GPS units to PROVE that we're just as slow as we ever were!

Barry
Rob Ritch

"firstjois" wrote in
:

Woodworking show at the Expo? I drooled on the Mini Max band saw and
that all-in-one whatever it was near by. It took me a few minutes to
figure out what did what and where you'd stand to use the TS
component.

I missed the Kreg display - too many people around it. What made you
decide on the Kreg fence?

Josie

Yeah, I saw the minimax as well; but at a grand SWMBO would have killed
me. My dad and I both got the Kreg fence and re-sw guide. I decided
on it based on the opinions here of the fasttrack which was it's
predecessor before Kreg bought them, plus the price, $99.00 for the
fence and re-saw guide. Woddcrafts price was $109.00 for the fence and
$18.00 for the re-saw guide.

-Rob

--
-Rob Ritch

(Remove nospam)
Mark

What are you going to do with this saw?
If you are going to resaw and plan on needing up to 12", my recommendation
would be not to get a small saw and make it bigger.
Larger units that can be had in the $1,000 neighborhood although not feature
rich but you will have the capability of using a larger blade and have more
HP both of which you will require for resawing large pieces.
Mark

. 97.136...