Mark

What are you going to do with this saw?
If you are going to resaw and plan on needing up to 12", my recommendation
would be not to get a small saw and make it bigger.
Larger units that can be had in the $1,000 neighborhood although not feature
rich but you will have the capability of using a larger blade and have more
HP both of which you will require for resawing large pieces.
Mark

"Rob Ritch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking
at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14". I have heard
good things about both saws so quality comparison is not my real concern,
although I will closely compare the two. My bigger question is the
different style of the two saws. The Rikon is a European style saw and
therefore a riser block is not an option. With the Delta I can obviously
add a riser to allow 12" resaw. I am not sure how important the 12"
capacity will be to me. To date I have done some 5" - 6" resawing on my
old craftsman 12" but have never had a need for any more than that. Keep
in mind that I only have a 6: jointer so I can not prep bigger at this

time
unless I learn to do it with hand planes. From what I understand the
European style saws tend to be smoother, and the Rikon has a 1hp motor and
roller guides; but I am concerned that I will want to resaw larger pieces
in the future. Of course my dad already has the 28-276 so I could always
use his to resaw in the future. What are other people's opinions about

the
two different styles of saw, and these saws in particular? TIA

-Rob