Default Cyclone comparison

Hello folks, Am planning on a new cyclone this spring. Trying to decide
between three 2HP versions; Oneida, Penn State, and Grizzly. Any
opinions? I am not brand loyal to anything. I just use what works. I
pretty much have my piping plan worked out. The main tools we use are
the bandsaw, lathe, and scrollsaw. Plus sanding our projects. Leaning
towards the Penn State (bigger impeller). The Oneida seems pretty
expensive (I know they help you plan etc but that part is pretty well
done). Griz is unknown but I have several of their items and they work
well for a fair price. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch,
Guy

robo hippy

After a couple of years of taking a 1 hp. collector from machine to
machine, I got a centralized system. I went for the Oneida system also.
Penn St didn't have theirs out then. I believe that both offer duct
design now. I would imagion that the systems will be simialar. Do get
the pleated paper cartridges instead of the bags. You can vent the air
back into the shop. I didn't believe Oneida when they told me that
their system didn't leak any dust back into the shop, but after 1 1/2
years, they are right. If you can, an enclosed room for the collector
does help cut down on the noise a bit. Also get one of the remote start
systems (I think it is called the 'Lone Ranger') and one extra remote
switch. One of mine went out with the shavings on the floor. Extra
switches are available from Penn St. I don't own any Grizzly tools.
From reading and talking to others who do, a lot of times, they do need

some fine tuning to function well. I don't like to work on my machines.
robo hippy

wrote:
Hello folks, Am planning on a new cyclone this spring. Trying to

decide
between three 2HP versions; Oneida, Penn State, and Grizzly. Any
opinions? I am not brand loyal to anything. I just use what works. I
pretty much have my piping plan worked out. The main tools we use are
the bandsaw, lathe, and scrollsaw. Plus sanding our projects. Leaning
towards the Penn State (bigger impeller). The Oneida seems pretty
expensive (I know they help you plan etc but that part is pretty well
done). Griz is unknown but I have several of their items and they

work
well for a fair price. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a

bunch,
Guy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Hello folks, Am planning on a new cyclone this spring. Trying to decide
between three 2HP versions; Oneida, Penn State, and Grizzly. Any
opinions? I am not brand loyal to anything. I just use what works. I
pretty much have my piping plan worked out. The main tools we use are
the bandsaw, lathe, and scrollsaw. Plus sanding our projects. Leaning
towards the Penn State (bigger impeller). The Oneida seems pretty
expensive (I know they help you plan etc but that part is pretty well
done). Griz is unknown but I have several of their items and they work
well for a fair price. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch,
Guy

BEFORE you decide which one to buy spend, some time on Bill
Pentz's site on the subject of dust collection and dust collectors.
If you've wondered about horsepower claims (7.5 HP and you can
plug it into any 110V outlet in your shop - HUH? Typical wall
outlet - 20 amps max at 110/120V. 1 hp = 746 watts which
at 110V = 6.8 amps. 6.8 amps x 7.5 = 51.86 amps. What's
wrong with this picture?). Similar hype with dust collectors.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

If you aren't interested in ALL the details, then go here

http://BillPentz.com/woodworking/cyc...oneReviews.cfm

AFTER you've got more objective information on dust
collectors you'll probably make an informed decision about
which one to get for your needs.

charlie b