Doug Miller

In article 36, Rob Ritch wrote:
SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking
at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14".

Couple of points to consider:

When I was in the market for a bandsaw a few years ago, I decided *against*
the Delta 14" open-stand model in part due to the position of the switch: too
low to be easily reached by hand (particularly if the need arises to shut it
off quickly), and low enough that it could be bumped by a leg or knee. I don't
want the saw turning on or off accidentally.

I settled on the Delta 14" closed-stand with Carter roller guides. While the
roller guides are *great* for resawing, or for ripping thick stock, they
*suck* for scrollwork. You can't use blades smaller than 3/16" with roller
guides: there just isn't enough metal there to guide. For scrollwork, you need
a finer blade than 3/16, and that means you need guide *blocks* that can
completely enclose the blade.

Also, the roller guides are a real pain in the neck to adjust, when you change
to a blade of a different thickness. Block guides generally have a
micrometer-style thickness adjustment.

--
Regards,