John

mac davis wrote:
On 18 Feb 2005 10:18:10 -0800, "
wrote:

Mac, I just picked up the exact same Ridgid about 45 minutes ago. What
are your thoughts on this saw?

mac

Thought ONE: follow the part of the assembly directions that state "have a
helper when you take the band saw out of the box and place on stand"..

I spent over an hour putting the stand together and then didn't have the
patience to go find help..
As usual, my 58 year body still pictured myself as 25, so I did it by myself..
NOT a good idea..

I tried that when I assembled mine and decided no way. I bolted the saw
to the stand with both lying on their sides. Easier to walk it up to
vertical then to lift it on to the stand.

Once the thing is assembled and steady on the feet, it seems very nice...
I can't compare it to any other saw, but the bottom guides seem really hard to
get to and/or see when you do your adjustments... almost need to take the table
off to do it right..

I have found it convenient to do just that since I do not change the
blade too often. It is so much easier to set the guides with no table.
Plus you get great access to clean out sawdust.

The dust collection is very poor.. I'm thinking of putting a 4" port in the
bottom door, but it would be a PITA for cleaning and stuff, and if you happen to
stand in front of the table, it would get in the way..

I put a 4" adaptor on the existing port and connected a portable dust
collector. A lot better than nothing but still leaves a lot compared to
the same dust collector on a jointer or planer.

I was sort of worried about the Ridgid brand, but it's the same as a Grizzly, so
it can't be that bad.. it cuts well and now I wonder what I did without it!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

John