George

"Rob Ritch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
SWMBO has agreed for me to get a new band saw. The two that I am looking
at are the delta 14" open stand (28-276) and the Rikon 14". I have heard
good things about both saws so quality comparison is not my real concern,
although I will closely compare the two. My bigger question is the
different style of the two saws. The Rikon is a European style saw and
therefore a riser block is not an option. With the Delta I can obviously
add a riser to allow 12" resaw. I am not sure how important the 12"
capacity will be to me. To date I have done some 5" - 6" resawing on my
old craftsman 12" but have never had a need for any more than that. Keep
in mind that I only have a 6: jointer so I can not prep bigger at this

time
unless I learn to do it with hand planes. From what I understand the
European style saws tend to be smoother, and the Rikon has a 1hp motor and
roller guides; but I am concerned that I will want to resaw larger pieces
in the future. Of course my dad already has the 28-276 so I could always
use his to resaw in the future. What are other people's opinions about

the
two different styles of saw, and these saws in particular? TIA

Both styles have been around for a while, so nobody gets longevity points.
Points are awarded, in my mind for robustness of table and trunnion. (D)

Roller guides are useful in certain circumstances, worse than useless in
others. Points for ease of change, perhaps. (D)

One horse options for the Delta, so add the bucks to your price comparison.
If you saw big or wet, really makes a difference in speed. (R)

Used to say the parts chain would be open forever, but that's in doubt - for
both. Still, in sheer numbers of saws, I still like my Delta's chances,
which is why I'd recommend it.