Billy Smith

Default What paste wax for table saw top?

I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

Dave Balderstone

In article , Billy Smith
wrote:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

I use Minwax paste wax.
Swingman

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

A better to reason to not use a car polish is that it may contain silicone
and you don't want that in your shop.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

You can still buy JPW here at the BORG.

Try TopCote ... it is more expensive, but works better and lasts longer.
Available at just about any woodworking supply sto Rockler, WoodCraft,
Cutting Edge,. Porter Cable stores, and many places that supply cabinet
parts and hardware to the trades.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Michael Latcha

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

If you can't find it locally, you can still get Johnson's Paste Wax directly
from the manufacturer:

http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400, "Billy Smith"
wrote:

I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

meguiar's carnauba paste wax.
get it at an automotive parts store.

Leon

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

While TopCote looks expensive, I have only used 3 cans of it since 1989. I
live in humid Houston so it does get tested. Keep in mind to put on at
least 2 liberally heavy coats to start and as time goes by you can use it
less and less. Now I use it to simply slick up the surface, which is what
it was originally intended for. I discovered that it also kept the rest
away. And, it is simple to use. Spray it on, wipe it off if you want. I
never wipe it off any more.

Rob Mills

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Billy Smith

I use Minwax paste wax.

That's what I use. I first use an automotive type buffer and Dupont buffing
compound to clean it up. I then apply several coats of the wax buffing out
each coat. Rob Mills ~

PS, I didn't use the buffing compound on my new saw.

Bob

"Swingman" wrote in message

Try TopCote ... it is more expensive, but works better and lasts longer.
Available at just about any woodworking supply sto Rockler, WoodCraft,
Cutting Edge,. Porter Cable stores, and many places that supply cabinet
parts and hardware to the trades.

I have been very disappointed in TopCote. Minwax paste wax works better for
me. TopCote is very expensive. Maybe I'm not applying right. But I find
Minwax works better and lasts longer. What am I doing wrong?

Bob

Bob

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured.

Johnson's paste wax is carried by Ace Hardware.

Bob

Al Reid

"Bob" wrote in message nk.net...

I have been very disappointed in TopCote. Minwax paste wax works better for
me. TopCote is very expensive. Maybe I'm not applying right. But I find
Minwax works better and lasts longer. What am I doing wrong?

Bob

Funny. That is the exact opposite of my experience. I was using paste wax but was disappointed and was constantly applying more
wax. Now that I am using TopCote, the treatments are few and far between.

Al

Swingman

"Bob" wrote in message

TopCote is very expensive.

I seem to have read that somewhere.

Maybe I'm not applying right. But I find
Minwax works better and lasts longer. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing at all ... it's likely a climatic thing. You use what works best
for you in your particular climate.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Stephen M

Great link.

They only want $5.80/can. The last time that I bought the Minwax paste wax
at Lowes it was closer to $10 IIRC.

$5.99 shipping/no tax is not bad if you buy a couple of cans.

Thanks,

Steve

"Michael Latcha" wrote in message

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

If you can't find it locally, you can still get Johnson's Paste Wax

directly
from the manufacturer:

http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Doug Miller

In article , "Billy Smith" wrote:
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

Johnson's is still manufactured. It's tough to find in some areas, but it's
still available. Your best bets are real hardware stores (e.g. Ace, Tru-Value,
or any independent mom-and pop operation) and smaller grocery stores.

Lowe's does carry it, but not in every store. They can probably order it for
you. According to a post by Silvan earlier this year, the Lowe's stock number
is 44690.

Home Depot and WalMart are alleged to have it in some stores. I've never seen
it at either one, and nobody has posted stock numbers.

You can also order it direct from the manufacturer:
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

It's a bad idea in any event. Most automobile waxes contain silicone, which
will cause "fish-eye" in a lot of wood finishes. You don't want silicone
anywhere near any of your woodworking tools.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

Johnson's, or Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

--
Regards,

Leon

TopCote works better and better over time as the layers build. You have to
start off with 2 liberally heavy layers and reapply as necessary afterward.
Applications become farther and farther apart.

William Wilson

"Bob" wrote in message ink.net...
I have been very disappointed in TopCote. Minwax paste wax works better for
me. TopCote is very expensive. Maybe I'm not applying right. But I find
Minwax works better and lasts longer. What am I doing wrong?

Bob

I have to admit that I tried TopCote for the first time, here in FL,
and I'm having problems with it as well. First I applied a coat and
wiped off...found rust the next day. Tried again with the same
results. Posted a message here and got a suggestion to put it on but
not wipe it off. Tried that, too. After applying two coats & not
wiping off, was working near the saw, and a couple of drops of sweat
fell on the table top. I figured it should be fine, but 20 mins later
when I looked back, the drops of sweat had rusted the table.

Went back to Johnson's paste wax I had a bought a couple of months
ago. Put on a liberal coat and left it (unbuffed). As of now (a week
later, and a couple of projects later) no rust. I did have a small
issue with the first couple of boards sticking a little bit, so I
guess I should have buffed it out, but when I was using the unbuffed
TopCote, I found that it made the top VERY sticky.

Just my experience, and I assume that I'm doing something wrong with
the product because of all the people here that rave about it, but I
guess it's just too high-tech for me ;-)

Trace

Leon

"William Wilson" wrote in message
om...
"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...

I have to admit that I tried TopCote for the first time, here in FL,
and I'm having problems with it as well. First I applied a coat and
wiped off...found rust the next day. Tried again with the same
results. Posted a message here and got a suggestion to put it on but
not wipe it off. Tried that, too. After applying two coats & not
wiping off, was working near the saw, and a couple of drops of sweat
fell on the table top. I figured it should be fine, but 20 mins later
when I looked back, the drops of sweat had rusted the table.

While nothing is perfect, salt water is pretty corrosive. I am not sure
anything is going to protect against standing salt water. I believe that
most of the protective products are more aimed at constant humid conditions
that cause large areas of rust.

RonB

I didn't read all of the responses so forgive if this is repetitive.

I use a non-silicon product called Slipit. It is a contact lubricant but
works well on metal tables and does not leave a residue. It come is both
paste and spray form and the salesman at the Grizzly store recomended paste
for durability. You brush the gooey paste on with a brush, then wipe it off
with a rag. Sounds messy but not that bad. The lubricant also frees up
your miter gages and if your fence rides on the table it will slide more
smoothly for a while.

A can of paste is available through Grizzly for about $10. I have had a can
for about 2-1/2 years and use it on everything 4-5 times a year and have
used less than 1/4 of the content. It might be available other places too.

Ron

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message
of sweat had rusted the table.

While nothing is perfect, salt water is pretty corrosive.

I wonder if he sweated on the JPW as well?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:43:15 GMT, "Bob"
calmly ranted:

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured.

Johnson's paste wax is carried by Ace Hardware.

I've seen it at Walmart in two different states, too.
Check the floor polish/mop area in grocery stores as well.

---
- Friends don't let friends use FrontPage -
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Programming

Pat Barber

Did you clean the top completely before you applied
the TopCote ??? I live on a salt creek and 3 miles
from the ocean and Topcote works fine on all my tools.

Johnson's paste wax left unbuffed is going to be a
sticky mess.

William Wilson wrote:

Bob

I have to admit that I tried TopCote for the first time, here in FL,
and I'm having problems with it as well. First I applied a coat and
wiped off...found rust the next day. Tried again with the same
results. Posted a message here and got a suggestion to put it on but
not wipe it off. Tried that, too. After applying two coats & not
wiping off, was working near the saw, and a couple of drops of sweat
fell on the table top. I figured it should be fine, but 20 mins later
when I looked back, the drops of sweat had rusted the table.

Slowhand

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:43:15 GMT, "Bob"
calmly ranted:

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured.

Johnson's paste wax is carried by Ace Hardware.

I've seen it at Walmart in two different states, too.
Check the floor polish/mop area in grocery stores as well.

They quit selling it in California. It causes cancer there. g
SH

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:56:38 -0700, Slowhand I'm@work wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I've seen it at Walmart in two different states, too.
Check the floor polish/mop area in grocery stores as well.

They quit selling it in California. It causes cancer there. g

Yeah, but only in Californians, so it's perfectly safe for the rest
of us.

Dave "That, or it's a politics thing rather than a science thing" Hinz

Slowhand

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

I use Johnsons paste wax. And yes, it is still available. I've used it for
years. I have never had the urge to use anything else. And at $5 and
change a can, it won't leave you short on soup for the family. I've had the
same can for about 2 years now and prolly have another year left. When I
first started applying it, I probably applied it every cuppla months or so.
Now I just apply it every six months or so. Highly recommend.
SH

David

It's still available in some stores in CA. For instance, Orchard Supply
and Lowe's. I've seen it as recently as a few weeks ago. It HAS been
harder to find than years ago, however...

David.

Slowhand wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:43:15 GMT, "Bob"
calmly ranted:

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured.

Johnson's paste wax is carried by Ace Hardware.

I've seen it at Walmart in two different states, too.
Check the floor polish/mop area in grocery stores as well.

They quit selling it in California. It causes cancer there. g
SH

Leon

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message
..

They quit selling it in California. It causes cancer there. g
SH

I opened up a bag of Mesquite Kingsford Charcoal. The warning label
indicated that in California the smoke could cause birth defects and or
cancer.

David

so can the air in LA! (I was down in LaLa land last week and wonder
how/why folks live there!)

David

Leon wrote:

I opened up a bag of Mesquite Kingsford Charcoal. The warning label
indicated that in California the smoke could cause birth defects and or
cancer.

Rolling Thunder

What I've read is to use a furniture paste wax like Butchers. You
can get this at Home Depot in the paint section. Don't use a paste
wax that has a silicone in it like the car waxes.

Thunder

wrote:

I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

William Wilson

"Swingman" wrote in message ...
"Leon" wrote in message
of sweat had rusted the table.

While nothing is perfect, salt water is pretty corrosive.

I wonder if he sweated on the JPW as well?

Actually, I did. It wound up sitting on the table for about 10-15
mins before I cleaned it off (I just wanted to see what would happen),
and I didn't see any rust under drops when I wiped it off.

Trace

William Wilson

Pat Barber wrote in message ...
Did you clean the top completely before you applied
the TopCote ??? I live on a salt creek and 3 miles
from the ocean and Topcote works fine on all my tools.

Johnson's paste wax left unbuffed is going to be a
sticky mess.

Not sure exactly how the top should be cleaned (VERY new at this).
After unpacking the saw, I wiped it down about 3-4 times with
kerosene, wiped it a couple of times with with clean paper towels,
then applied the TopCote. Like I said before, with all the positive
feedback on the product, I'm pretty sure it's me, not the product.

As for not buffing the wax, yep, I found that out. I tried buffing it
after I saw the mess, but that did no good, so I took a scrap of stock
and ran it across the surface for a few mins. Smoothed out the
finish, and it seems to be working well...no rust, nice slick top.
When it comes time to reapply, I'll definately remember to buff!!!

Oh well, I guess this is part of the fun...trying something that you
THINK will work, then going back and doing it correctly!! ;-) Maybe
next time I should just LISTEN to the sage advice offered here!!

Trace
John

Who ever told you that Johnson's was no longer made steered you wrong,
it is definitely STILL in production

Butcher's Bowling Alley wax is also good, as is Renasance Wax, as is
TriWax

John

wrote:

I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

Nate Perkins

"Billy Smith" wrote in message t...
Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

I use Trewax brand paste wax (the clear color; they also have a
brownish one called Indian Sand). I use the same as a final coat on
the pieces I make. It's silicone free.

Rob Stokes

'tis true. It's no longer made. I checked with them myself.... They have
residual stock, that they sell on the Internet only and if you find some in
a store, buy it as it's all that's left....

Good luck
Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"CW" no adddress@spam free.com wrote in message
No longer manufactured? SC Johnson (the manufacturer) sells it on their
website. I can buy it locally too.

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

Jim K

Ace has Johnson's online:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=search

wrote:

I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

--Billy

Pickling Paste on stainless steel: WHITE HAZE WON'T COME OFF RainLover Metalworking 18 September 6th 04 03:23 PM
Bees wax paste Kip055 Woodturning 3 January 28th 04 12:25 AM
Use paste wax (only) on fir floor? GotOuttaIdaho Home Repair 9 January 25th 04 07:05 PM
Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah! Tom Watson Woodworking 35 December 3rd 03 10:26 PM
Tinting Paste Wax Adam Kropinski Woodworking 9 July 20th 03 01:34 PM