Doug Miller

In article , "Billy Smith" wrote:
I'm looking for a good paste wax to use on my cast-iron
table saw top. I found a thread from a couple years ago
that said that Johnson's paste wax was the best, but is
no longer manufactured. A specialty product called TopCote
works but is expensive.

Johnson's is still manufactured. It's tough to find in some areas, but it's
still available. Your best bets are real hardware stores (e.g. Ace, Tru-Value,
or any independent mom-and pop operation) and smaller grocery stores.

Lowe's does carry it, but not in every store. They can probably order it for
you. According to a post by Silvan earlier this year, the Lowe's stock number
is 44690.

Home Depot and WalMart are alleged to have it in some stores. I've never seen
it at either one, and nobody has posted stock numbers.

You can also order it direct from the manufacturer:
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

I started to buy some Turtle Wax today but stopped because
the directions said to apply it with a wet rag (rust hazard).

It's a bad idea in any event. Most automobile waxes contain silicone, which
will cause "fish-eye" in a lot of wood finishes. You don't want silicone
anywhere near any of your woodworking tools.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, readily
available wax for this purpose?

Johnson's, or Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

--
Regards,