Posted to rec.woodworking

Default old cars, rusty cars ... was what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:07:53 -0500 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 4/26/2021 7:53 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:25:19 -0400,
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:50:36 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:01:38 -0400,
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 09:52:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 4/25/2021 8:42 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 17:07:12 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Snip
Between 1900 and 1975 the US managed to invent and bring into
production the airplane, nuclear power, computers, and the capability
to land on the Moon.
With the people born in the '30 and '40s. The millenials live in
mommy's basement and play X-Box. We were talking about 60 the last 60
years.
Well in all fairness, vehicles built in the US were pieces of crap from
72~2000. Progressively getting better year by year. Emission systems
that hardly worked and wasted fuel was not healthier for the earth.

Seems this is when the Japanese entered our market and pretty much
showed us how a vehicle should be built.

The Japanese had just followed the smart ideas coming out of the
US ... to bad American car companies hadn't adopted them.

Glad you only went back to 1972 !
1971 MotorTrend's Car Of The Year
Chevy Vega ... :-)
Which was actually a pretty nice car until it rusted away. My Dad had
one--he really enjoyed driving it.
I had one as a teenager - my second car - it was ~ 4 years old
& I paid $ 450. for it - I needed wheels fast for a job transfer -
- the rust-repairs were already failing badly ;
it burned oil ; noisy ; no trunk space ; uncomfortable seats ;
terrible rear wheel drive traction ; etc
I can't think of a single plus that I could grant it.

$450

Which was still a lot of money in the seventies.

Friends story was of buying a car for $235 "because of a
vibration", which turned out to be the result of a bubble on the
inside of one of the front tires. Drove it, sold to friend, engine
seized, took it back. Had it parked at his dad's station where he
work. Guy comes in the station, wonders if the car might be for sale.
"Yeah, but the engine's shot". Guy just wants it for a restoration.
"So what do you want to offer for it?
$650
"That's fair."

One winter morning, I was spinning on a patch of snow in the
parking lot when a nice guy offered a push - he put one hand on the
drivers door handle and his other hand grabbed the rear fender well -
and gave a good heave-ho - he apologized as he stood there with
a good chunk of fender in his hand - I thanked him for the help and
said don't worry about it .. you can keep that .. :-) true story.

Drove it about 2 years and gladly scrapped it.
Car-Of-The-Year ! yeah right.

Hey, it lasted more than a year, what's yer beef?
I only had my Mustang II for three years until the body rotted out so
badly it couldn't be driven.

Ford liked to dress up other model cars and call them the Mustang. When
they turned the Pinto into a Mustang it was a bad move.

Had a friend with a Shelby Mustang. She called it "Mouse" because
it squeaked. Even at a 105.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glad you only went back to 1972 !
1971 MotorTrend's Car Of The Year
Chevy Vega ... :-)
Which was actually a pretty nice car until it rusted away. My Dad had
one--he really enjoyed driving it.
I had one as a teenager - my second car - it was ~ 4 years old
& I paid $ 450. for it - I needed wheels fast for a job transfer -
- the rust-repairs were already failing badly ;
it burned oil ; noisy ; no trunk space ; uncomfortable seats ;
terrible rear wheel drive traction ; etc
I can't think of a single plus that I could grant it.

$450

Which was still a lot of money in the seventies.

Nope. Not for a fully certified car in Niagara Falls
in 1975. It was as cheap-as-it-goes - legally.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:26:28 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:57:00 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Unobtanium is something you can't get. We're looking for the word for
something that you can't get rid of. ;-)

Bad quoting. I didnt say that.

Not so much "can't get rid of" as "I can't keep this, I "can't"
really sell it, I'm sure someone would want it for their Project."

It's actually a multi-word phrase:
https://[your-city-name-here].cr...uff/search/zip

Now *that* was me.

I knew there was a reason I hadn't put craigslist in the bookmarks
... "Oh, hey, neat ..."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 9:00:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:34:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 4:16:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:14:51 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

Snip

Between 1900 and 1975 the US managed to invent and bring into
production the airplane, nuclear power, computers, and the capability
to land on the Moon.

With the people born in the '30 and '40s. The millenials live in
mommy's basement and play X-Box. We were talking about 60 the last 60
years.

Well in all fairness, vehicles built in the US were pieces of crap from
72~2000. Progressively getting better year by year. Emission systems
that hardly worked and wasted fuel was not healthier for the earth.

And millenials had exactly what to do with that?
Nothing but before the millenials many things were poorly designed.

25% of the engineers and scientists at NASA are millennials. Maybe they
do live in their mommy's basements and play X-Box when they're not doing
rocket-scientist type stuff, but I won't fault them for that.

When was the last time that the US actually built a new rocket?

Define "US".

Since the comment was about NASA...

But thats not what you asked. Direct answer: The US
i.e. the country, never made a rocket but US based
companies have and still do.

This better?

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX

Besides, it takes more - a lot more - than "building rockets" for a space
program to succeed.

Moving on...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

In
'68 I bought a '61 Mini for $60. I likely spent $100 in repairs -
frove it for a year and a bit and sold it for something like $250.
Bought a '63 Valiant sedan for $300 with a fresh paint job. Drove it
for about a year and a half anf bought a '69 Dart (in 1971) for $1800.
I sold it in 1972 when I was leaving for Africa. Picked up a '65
Rambler Classic for $50 to tide me over 'till I left - Dad sold it for
me for $75 after I was gone.

Cars from the sixties were better than from the '70s.
When I came back I bought a '72 Colt (in '75) Ended up trading it to
my younger brother for Dad's old '57 Fargo pickup truck - I think I
came out ahead on that deal

The Vega was, like many of GM's small car attempts, a good idea very
poorly executed - you'd swear they purposely sabotaged them to be able
to sell their bigger junk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 17:07:12 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Snip
Between 1900 and 1975 the US managed to invent and bring into
production the airplane, nuclear power, computers, and the capability
to land on the Moon.
With the people born in the '30 and '40s. The millenials live in
mommy's basement and play X-Box. We were talking about 60 the last 60
years.
Well in all fairness, vehicles built in the US were pieces of crap from
72~2000. Progressively getting better year by year. Emission systems
that hardly worked and wasted fuel was not healthier for the earth.

Seems this is when the Japanese entered our market and pretty much
showed us how a vehicle should be built.

The Japanese had just followed the smart ideas coming out of the
US ... to bad American car companies hadn't adopted them.

Well yeah, because those ideas never work in the US. I went through
an example of that at a PPOE. The management jumped on the "Toyota
Production System" and gave all kinds of trainings and started using
words like "Kanban" and "Gemba". They even got an award for it (a US
based award named after a Japanese who don't get no respect in Japan).
I finally gave up on the company's training and started reading up on
the Toyota Production System from the people who actually created and
ran it. Well, what we were doing wasn't anything like the Toyota
Production System. And after a few years in which their
"improvements" didn't improve anything they jumped on the next flashy
thing that some consultand dangled in front of them and then pretended
to implement that.

[...]

And now we have the electric "crossover" that's called a Mustang. Ford
never learns. I remember when the T-Bird was something special, then
it went through a period in which it was "just a car" and now it's
dead. On the other hand GM never lost focus on the Corvette and it's
still going strong.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

ISO9001
Zero Defect
PPM
rinse repeat

[...]

SWMBO had a '14 Mustang which was a nice car, which she traded in a
'19 (I told her "now or never"). That's a nice car. She looked at
the electric mustang and laughed. "That's not a Mustang!" I's bug
ugly, for one.

The mustang started as a really nice car, which grew into a monster,
into a sissy, then dead. They did a really good job of bring back the
retro-Mustang and improved it a lot over the decade or so. Then...

OTOH, the Thunderbird was a HOT car, which grew into a monster, then
poof. The retro version skipped the retro phase and went straight to
bug ugly. They just can't leave well enough alone.

Well, Ford still has the F150 (I wonder where the F100 went?).
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 13:13:43 -0400 typed in
[...]

I got an assignment as The Stocker. I was to go round the floor,
pick up the empty parts bins, refill them and take them back. The
idea being that the guys on the floor would not have to go looking for
parts {nuts, bolts, flanges, decals, etc}. "Lean Manufacturing /
Five5. But I got let go after two days [remember, temp agency], then
called back, and even offered to let me come in an hour later. First
time I ever got "recruited".
Seems there had been a great deal of outrage on the floor "we
finally get someone who 'gets it' and you got ride of him!" Yeah me.
Then someone in manglement got the Brilliant Idea to have the
suppliers stock their part of the supply room. Fair enough. But then
came the idea that those bins needed to be consolidated elsewhere to
make restocking easier. Excellent idea! Lets have me check _three_
places for parts!
"And then they came up short in the orders, either bad scheduling
or lack of sale, what ever." and that was the end of that assignment.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 06:05:17
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

wrote:
[...]

Operative term "flashy thing". Everybody is looking for the magic
pill which will solve the problem if not in this quarter, then by the
time for the annual report.

When I ran into the terms "lean manufacturing" I was retraining in
tech school I kept thinking "I've heard this before, but where?" It
quickly came to me, "Ach Ja! 'Onkel Jan's Werkstat!' and all those
bossisms":
if you haven't got time to do it right, when will you have time to
fix it?
if you haven't got time to put it away, what makes you feel you'll
have time to look for it?
Every place with it's thing, every thing with it's place.
Well begun is half done.
Etc.

Others: "Only Customers pay wages. The Company is here to collect
my wages from the customer. But paychecks can't come in until good
product ship."
"You can't make scrap fast enough to show a profit."

"Lean" like 5S, like just about everything, is a "process". not a
quick fix, but a means to an end. A series of little things which can
make production "easier". As I said of a new layout "every step I
take away from the machine (to get the parts to load into the machine)
is another step closer to the coffeepot."
It boils down to "work smart, not hard." But what is "smart"?
Depends on the situation.

Again,we're back to "how much planning is enough?" The proverb is
old, "Well begun is half done". Carlin got a certain amount of static
for his meticulous arraying of the parts to be worked on before he
started. Until it was noticed that his over all run times were well
within 'spec'. And that he had the eerie ability to when all were
laid out, to spot the out of tolerance part before he started.
I figured out that if I lined up the "in" parts and the out parts,
I could "see" how many to go, how many done, and have a ready answer
to "How much longer?" when the foreman asked. (My record is when I
got things set up "just so" and was able to get two work orders done
in 6 hours, when the schedule called for 12. Yeah me.)

I really need to cut back on the coffee.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
I shall now ask my colleague to tell you how good I am at delegating.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

After the success of the "Prowler" I repeated: Ford should bring
back the "sheet metal" for the 66-68 Mustang, and put 40 (fifty) years
of actual technology and material improvement underneath.

The mustang started as a really nice car, which grew into a monster,
into a sissy, then dead. They did a really good job of bring back the
retro-Mustang and improved it a lot over the decade or so. Then...

OTOH, the Thunderbird was a HOT car, which grew into a monster, then
poof. The retro version skipped the retro phase and went straight to
bug ugly. They just can't leave well enough alone.

Well, Ford still has the F150 (I wonder where the F100 went?).

Me too. I also wonder about getting a Truck, Pickup, One Each"
which does not have all the bells, whistles, doodads, dual overhead
windshield wipers knobs, chromed twin muffler bearings, in cab movie
theatre, and a turntable for the stereo.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:22:57 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:26:28 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:57:00 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Unobtanium is something you can't get. We're looking for the word for
something that you can't get rid of. ;-)

Bad quoting. I didnt say that.

Oops...

Not so much "can't get rid of" as "I can't keep this, I "can't"
really sell it, I'm sure someone would want it for their Project."

It's actually a multi-word phrase:
https://[your-city-name-here].cr...uff/search/zip

Now *that* was me.

And thanks.

I mean, it isn't like I already have too much free stuff of my own
.... including "free time" to spend browsing the want ads.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:59:45 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:07:28 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 9:20:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I had a '70 AMC Gremlin. That really should have been Car of the
year. They made more money on parts than the car. It _had_ to be
profitable.

I had a couple friends with AMC cars - they seemed to have the
weirdest things break - a Gremlin was the only case that I have ever
heard of a seat breaking - drivers seat-back - the car wasn't
abused and no extra-large drivers.

I had a 1966 Rambler Ambassador 990.

Weird thing to have break: The vacuum booster pump that was mounted
to the top of the fuel pump, causing the windshield wipers to stop working.
I solved the issue by pulling the hoses off both sides of the pump and
connecting them to each other. It worked great as long as you didn't mind
the wipers stopping mid-wipe when you accelerated, like you might do
while getting on a highway. :-O

Oh, I'd forgotten that part. I remember the wipers slowing on
acceleration and going a mile a minute when decelerating. I don't
remember a booster but I did have to replace the vacuum wiper motor
several times. Good thing it was easy and relatively cheap
("relatively" because I was a poor student).

No one would believe that vacuum wipers still existed.

Had a friend who had at one time a 1946 Travelal. With the vacuum
wipers. Fortunately, they also had the lever inside to operate the
wipers when there wasn't enough vacuum, which was often.
It was painted battleship / primer grey, and someone as a lark had
hung some go cart tires on the sides as "fenders' (like the sort you
see on the side of ships tying up at a wharf). "Funny, no matter how
backed up traffic might be, there always seemed to be room for her to
merge..."

[snip]

The reason we had to replace the clutch was that the starter took out
the ring gear. I got pretty good at jump starting the car and could
do it by myself (not all that safe but I was 19 or 20, invincible) but
SWMBO wasn't pleased with the situation.

Try push starting a diesel bus. The one time it was Mark and me
.... fortunately, we were parked on a slope. {starter failed, we were
long way from home. "It seemed normal" to us.}

[chop]

I knew a guy that was an auto mechanic and also plowed snow as
a side job. He built a plow truck by mounting a Pacer body on a 4x4
truck chassis. He said he wanted the extra visibility provided by the
Pacer's expansive glass. Funny looking vehicle, but it got the job done.

Uh, what model is it?
Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53,
'54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile

"Negatyory on the cost of this mo-cheen. Might say I picked it up
at the factory.."
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 13:13:43 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

Well, Ford still has the F150 (I wonder where the F100 went?).

Believe that the F100 became the Ranger, which brings me to my former
2019 Ranger. It got totaled, was behind a septic pumper truck, at a
stop sign on a down hill approach. the truck back into me sitting
still.

When the intial repair estimate was $29,500 (Blue truck value $32k) I
said total it. So after trying to get a new Ranger through the dealer,
via trades from other dealers bought a F150.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 08:24:54 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

They kind of did that. They can't make it look identical because they
have a bunch of new regulations they have to comply with, and some of
those affect exterior appearance.

The mustang started as a really nice car, which grew into a monster,
into a sissy, then dead. They did a really good job of bring back the
retro-Mustang and improved it a lot over the decade or so. Then...

OTOH, the Thunderbird was a HOT car, which grew into a monster, then
poof. The retro version skipped the retro phase and went straight to
bug ugly. They just can't leave well enough alone.

Well, Ford still has the F150 (I wonder where the F100 went?).

Me too. I also wonder about getting a Truck, Pickup, One Each"
which does not have all the bells, whistles, doodads, dual overhead
windshield wipers knobs, chromed twin muffler bearings, in cab movie
theatre, and a turntable for the stereo.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Honda Acty. Google it. It's
cute as hell, tiny, and has a bed bigger than a short-bed F-150 (and
the bed converts into a flatbed).

Saw one on the street the other day and said "WTF is _that_" so I
looked it up. Japan-only, can import to the US after 25 years.

Not a lot of load but I don't really need a lot of load.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 08:36:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:59:45 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

[snip]

The reason we had to replace the clutch was that the starter took out
the ring gear. I got pretty good at jump starting the car and could
do it by myself (not all that safe but I was 19 or 20, invincible) but
SWMBO wasn't pleased with the situation.

Try push starting a diesel bus. The one time it was Mark and me
... fortunately, we were parked on a slope. {starter failed, we were
long way from home. "It seemed normal" to us.}

After the Rustang II, we had a '78 Granada. It was probably the best
car we had until at least 2000. No issues, other than rust. V-6,
4-door and stick transmission (three on the tree). Nothing to go
wrong, except the $@## 1 bbl Carter carb. The thing would die at
least once a year and it would take at least two to find one that
worked. When it failed the screwedriver in the choke trick ended up
pumping a stream of gas on the windshield. "I don't think this is
supposed to happen, says I". Of course, the air cleaner was soaked
with gas.

Anyway, back to the story... There was a hole in the door that the
water caused a rust stain down the side of the door. Friends called
it my "Liberian Tanker". (OK, the carb was a better story.)

[chop]

I knew a guy that was an auto mechanic and also plowed snow as
a side job. He built a plow truck by mounting a Pacer body on a 4x4
truck chassis. He said he wanted the extra visibility provided by the
Pacer's expansive glass. Funny looking vehicle, but it got the job done.

Uh, what model is it?
Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53,
'54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile

"Negatyory on the cost of this mo-cheen. Might say I picked it up
at the factory.."

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

While waiting for an oil-change, I walked over to the neighboring
used-car lot and spotted a Corvair Rampside (something I'd never seen).

Side-loading bed with a built-in ramp (the bed is lower to the
ground than modern pickups).

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...e-and-loadside

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Worse. They only wanted to make their boss look like they were doing
something, without the work of actually doing something.

When I ran into the terms "lean manufacturing" I was retraining in
tech school I kept thinking "I've heard this before, but where?" It
quickly came to me, "Ach Ja! 'Onkel Jan's Werkstat!' and all those
bossisms":
if you haven't got time to do it right, when will you have time to
fix it?
if you haven't got time to put it away, what makes you feel you'll
have time to look for it?
Every place with it's thing, every thing with it's place.
Well begun is half done.
Etc.

Yep. But the hand gets slapped every time sanity is spoken.

Others: "Only Customers pay wages. The Company is here to collect
my wages from the customer. But paychecks can't come in until good
product ship."

In the long term, there is no other way to operate.

"You can't make scrap fast enough to show a profit."

"Lean" like 5S, like just about everything, is a "process". not a
quick fix, but a means to an end. A series of little things which can
make production "easier". As I said of a new layout "every step I
take away from the machine (to get the parts to load into the machine)
is another step closer to the coffeepot."
It boils down to "work smart, not hard." But what is "smart"?
Depends on the situation.

It's another way of saying "Laziness is the mother of invention." It's
really true but it more often turns into "look busy".

Again,we're back to "how much planning is enough?" The proverb is
old, "Well begun is half done". Carlin got a certain amount of static
for his meticulous arraying of the parts to be worked on before he
started. Until it was noticed that his over all run times were well
within 'spec'. And that he had the eerie ability to when all were
laid out, to spot the out of tolerance part before he started.
I figured out that if I lined up the "in" parts and the out parts,
I could "see" how many to go, how many done, and have a ready answer
to "How much longer?" when the foreman asked. (My record is when I
got things set up "just so" and was able to get two work orders done
in 6 hours, when the schedule called for 12. Yeah me.)

Gotta get rid of that guy. He's making the rest of us look bad.

I really need to cut back on the coffee.

Nothing but decaf here. (Heart doesn't like caffiene)
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Thu, 29 Apr 2021 12:02:35
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Well, Ford still has the F150 (I wonder where the F100 went?).

Me too. I also wonder about getting a Truck, Pickup, One Each"
which does not have all the bells, whistles, doodads, dual overhead
windshield wipers knobs, chromed twin muffler bearings, in cab movie
theatre, and a turntable for the stereo.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Honda Acty. Google it. It's
cute as hell, tiny, and has a bed bigger than a short-bed F-150 (and
the bed converts into a flatbed).

Saw one on the street the other day and said "WTF is _that_" so I
looked it up. Japan-only, can import to the US after 25 years.

Hmmm, will look it up.

Not a lot of load but I don't really need a lot of load.

What I want is a "beater" - something I can haul stuff home from
the store, the side of the road or to the dump, the second hand store,
or the recycle.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 15:44:08 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

It's certainly not a beater but that's why I have an F150. I
certainly don't want to pay to register, insure, and house another
vehicle, just to go to the BORG.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Some guys can turn ANYTHING into a "beater" in short order. I do all
of the above with my 25 year old truck but try REALLY HARD not to make
a "beater" out of it!!