Buzz

Default moving washing machine to opposite side of wall

This weekend I plan to move my washer and dryer to the other side of
the wall that they currently back up to. The wall is a typical 5 year
old wood 2x4 drywalled wall. The wall is shared between the current
laundry/mudroom and the not-used-as-a-dining-room dining room. The
washer hooks to a single lever valve in an Oatey plastic inset box. It
drains into a drain in this same box. It plugs into an outlet also on
this wall. The dryer is a gas dryer. The gas line comes up from the
floor, close to the wall. The exhaust goes down into the floor, also
close to the wall. The dryer plugs into the same outlet as the washer.
The "dining" room is carpeted.
I am looking for answers/suggestions/criticism to my plan:

- The electrical outlet, and the water supply/drain box can be moved...
since the basement is right below.

- For the sake of re-sale & possible change of plans, I don't want to
put holes in the wall-to-wall carpet (convince me otherwise?). So, I
will add to the existing gas pipe, running it through the drywall wall.
I will also run the existing exhaust duct through the drywall wall.
Is there some kind of protective sheath that needs to go b/w the duct
and drywall?

- The new arrangement would end up with the washer on the right,
instead of the left (as it is now). The dryer door handle will now be
close to a wall, and open towards the washer.... instead of the other
way around. OR...In order to keep the original orientation, I could
run the exhaust duct and gas over before coming through the drywall.

- I plan on putting down a piece of 3/4" plywood over the carpet, and
use a catch try under the washer.

I'm trying to do this the easiest way possible, that avoids an ugly
situation if I go to sell my house someday and someone says "What moron
put a washing machine in the dining room and cut holes in the carpet.
I'm not sure others will value my change as much as I will.
Thanks for any help
Buzz

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Buzz -
This weekend I plan to move my washer and dryer

I'm trying to do this the easiest way possible, that avoids an ugly
situation if I go to sell my house someday and someone says "What

moron
put a washing machine in the dining room and cut holes in the carpet.
I'm not sure others will value my change as much as I will.

- Nehmo -
The placement of the washer and dryer in a house should be considered
permanent. The carpet under the plywood or pan under the washer and
dryer is lost anyway. It's your house. Arrange it to suit your own
circumstances and needs – not those of some possible future buyer.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

John Harlow

Buzz wrote:
This weekend I plan to move my washer and dryer to the other side of
the wall that they currently back up to.

I have to ask... what is your motivation to do this?

If the carpet is fantastic and you're worried about resale, why not just
pull it up and store it?

The rest of the stuff can be restored pretty easily.

Duane Bozarth

John Harlow wrote:

Buzz wrote:
This weekend I plan to move my washer and dryer to the other side of
the wall that they currently back up to.

I have to ask... what is your motivation to do this?

If the carpet is fantastic and you're worried about resale, why not just
pull it up and store it?

The rest of the stuff can be restored pretty easily.

Yeah, the carpet will be toast as far as resale is concerned if a
washer/dryer unit sit in there for any length of time at all...and I
agree, w/o knowing the situation this sounds wacko...
Buzz

The placement of the washer and dryer in a house should be considered
permanent.

Well... permanent? I'm about to move them aren't I? Once I move them
are the appliance police going to make me keep them there? What if we
change our minds and having a working mudroom doesn't pan out, and we
decide to move them again? I will if it makes sense again.

The carpet under the plywood or pan under the washer and
dryer is lost anyway.

It never occurred to me that the carpet would be ruined from this.
Carpet seems to survive furniture... and because furniture generally
has a smaller footprint, I has a fairly high pounds per square inch.
Sure it looks crushed at first, but over some time and vacuuming... it
comes back. Why won't it in this case? I'd have to do some math to
find the full load weight versus the footprint.

It's your house. Arrange it to suit your own
circumstances and needs - not those of some possible future buyer.

Although a toilet might be convenient as a night stand... I'd warn you
that I won't be buying your house if I find this.

Buzz

I have to ask... what is your motivation to do this?

Our laundry/mudroom is really small. It is just long enough for a
washer and dryer, and just wide enough open the door. No room for
laundry baskets, coats, shoes, bags, kids. (door hits them) Of course
a stacked washer dryer is a thought... but I'm not posting about that.

If the carpet is fantastic and you're worried about resale, why not

just
pull it up and store it?

It is wall to wall. The rest of the room will be usable with
carpeting... just not the washer/dryer section of carpet.

Duane Bozarth

Buzz wrote:
It never occurred to me that the carpet would be ruined from this.
Carpet seems to survive furniture... and because furniture generally
has a smaller footprint, I has a fairly high pounds per square inch.
Sure it looks crushed at first, but over some time and vacuuming... it
comes back. Why won't it in this case? I'd have to do some math to
find the full load weight versus the footprint.

It's not the weight itself that will be the problem, it's the inevitable
water and dirt that will, over time, accumulate and get ground in that
will be the problem.

Self-Reproducing Machine Tools Doug Goncz Metalworking 17 July 13th 17 06:57 AM
HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 8th 05 12:32 AM
blocks of stuff in drain coming out of washing machine j west +++ UK diy 1 July 26th 04 12:02 AM
walking washing machine Kerry Hoskin UK diy 10 March 1st 04 12:15 AM
Moving a Lightswitch - Cavity Wall Roger Mills UK diy 4 September 3rd 03 05:13 PM