Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:59:45 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:07:28 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 9:20:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I had a '70 AMC Gremlin. That really should have been Car of the
year. They made more money on parts than the car. It _had_ to be
profitable.

I had a couple friends with AMC cars - they seemed to have the
weirdest things break - a Gremlin was the only case that I have ever
heard of a seat breaking - drivers seat-back - the car wasn't
abused and no extra-large drivers.

I had a 1966 Rambler Ambassador 990.

Weird thing to have break: The vacuum booster pump that was mounted
to the top of the fuel pump, causing the windshield wipers to stop working.
I solved the issue by pulling the hoses off both sides of the pump and
connecting them to each other. It worked great as long as you didn't mind
the wipers stopping mid-wipe when you accelerated, like you might do
while getting on a highway. :-O

Oh, I'd forgotten that part. I remember the wipers slowing on
acceleration and going a mile a minute when decelerating. I don't
remember a booster but I did have to replace the vacuum wiper motor
several times. Good thing it was easy and relatively cheap
("relatively" because I was a poor student).

No one would believe that vacuum wipers still existed.

Had a friend who had at one time a 1946 Travelal. With the vacuum
wipers. Fortunately, they also had the lever inside to operate the
wipers when there wasn't enough vacuum, which was often.
It was painted battleship / primer grey, and someone as a lark had
hung some go cart tires on the sides as "fenders' (like the sort you
see on the side of ships tying up at a wharf). "Funny, no matter how
backed up traffic might be, there always seemed to be room for her to
merge..."

[snip]

The reason we had to replace the clutch was that the starter took out
the ring gear. I got pretty good at jump starting the car and could
do it by myself (not all that safe but I was 19 or 20, invincible) but
SWMBO wasn't pleased with the situation.

Try push starting a diesel bus. The one time it was Mark and me
.... fortunately, we were parked on a slope. {starter failed, we were
long way from home. "It seemed normal" to us.}

[chop]

I knew a guy that was an auto mechanic and also plowed snow as
a side job. He built a plow truck by mounting a Pacer body on a 4x4
truck chassis. He said he wanted the extra visibility provided by the
Pacer's expansive glass. Funny looking vehicle, but it got the job done.

Uh, what model is it?
Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53,
'54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile

"Negatyory on the cost of this mo-cheen. Might say I picked it up
at the factory.."
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.