Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Mustangs and Retro designs was old cars, rusty cars ... was what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

J. Clarke writes:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 08:24:54 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 13:13:43 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

Hey, it lasted more than a year, what's yer beef?
I only had my Mustang II for three years until the body rotted out so
badly it couldn't be driven.
Ford liked to dress up other model cars and call them the Mustang. When
they turned the Pinto into a Mustang it was a bad move.

Had a friend with a Shelby Mustang. She called it "Mouse" because
it squeaked. Even at a 105.

And now we have the electric "crossover" that's called a Mustang. Ford
never learns. I remember when the T-Bird was something special, then
it went through a period in which it was "just a car" and now it's
dead. On the other hand GM never lost focus on the Corvette and it's
still going strong.

SWMBO had a '14 Mustang which was a nice car, which she traded in a
'19 (I told her "now or never"). That's a nice car. She looked at
the electric mustang and laughed. "That's not a Mustang!" I's bug
ugly, for one.

After the success of the "Prowler" I repeated: Ford should bring
back the "sheet metal" for the 66-68 Mustang, and put 40 (fifty) years
of actual technology and material improvement underneath.

They kind of did that. They can't make it look identical because they
have a bunch of new regulations they have to comply with, and some of
those affect exterior appearance.

The mustang started as a really nice car, which grew into a monster,
into a sissy, then dead. They did a really good job of bring back the
retro-Mustang and improved it a lot over the decade or so. Then...

OTOH, the Thunderbird was a HOT car, which grew into a monster, then
poof. The retro version skipped the retro phase and went straight to
bug ugly. They just can't leave well enough alone.

Well, Ford still has the F150 (I wonder where the F100 went?).

Me too. I also wonder about getting a Truck, Pickup, One Each"
which does not have all the bells, whistles, doodads, dual overhead
windshield wipers knobs, chromed twin muffler bearings, in cab movie
theatre, and a turntable for the stereo.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Honda Acty. Google it. It's
cute as hell, tiny, and has a bed bigger than a short-bed F-150 (and
the bed converts into a flatbed).

While waiting for an oil-change, I walked over to the neighboring
used-car lot and spotted a Corvair Rampside (something I'd never seen).

Side-loading bed with a built-in ramp (the bed is lower to the
ground than modern pickups).

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...e-and-loadside