Posted to rec.woodworking

Default old cars, rusty cars ... was what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:07:53 -0500 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 4/26/2021 7:53 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:25:19 -0400,
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:50:36 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:01:38 -0400,
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 09:52:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 4/25/2021 8:42 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 17:07:12 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Snip
Between 1900 and 1975 the US managed to invent and bring into
production the airplane, nuclear power, computers, and the capability
to land on the Moon.
With the people born in the '30 and '40s. The millenials live in
mommy's basement and play X-Box. We were talking about 60 the last 60
years.
Well in all fairness, vehicles built in the US were pieces of crap from
72~2000. Progressively getting better year by year. Emission systems
that hardly worked and wasted fuel was not healthier for the earth.

Seems this is when the Japanese entered our market and pretty much
showed us how a vehicle should be built.

The Japanese had just followed the smart ideas coming out of the
US ... to bad American car companies hadn't adopted them.

Glad you only went back to 1972 !
1971 MotorTrend's Car Of The Year
Chevy Vega ... :-)
Which was actually a pretty nice car until it rusted away. My Dad had
one--he really enjoyed driving it.
I had one as a teenager - my second car - it was ~ 4 years old
& I paid $ 450. for it - I needed wheels fast for a job transfer -
- the rust-repairs were already failing badly ;
it burned oil ; noisy ; no trunk space ; uncomfortable seats ;
terrible rear wheel drive traction ; etc
I can't think of a single plus that I could grant it.

$450

Which was still a lot of money in the seventies.

Friends story was of buying a car for $235 "because of a
vibration", which turned out to be the result of a bubble on the
inside of one of the front tires. Drove it, sold to friend, engine
seized, took it back. Had it parked at his dad's station where he
work. Guy comes in the station, wonders if the car might be for sale.
"Yeah, but the engine's shot". Guy just wants it for a restoration.
"So what do you want to offer for it?
$650
"That's fair."

One winter morning, I was spinning on a patch of snow in the
parking lot when a nice guy offered a push - he put one hand on the
drivers door handle and his other hand grabbed the rear fender well -
and gave a good heave-ho - he apologized as he stood there with
a good chunk of fender in his hand - I thanked him for the help and
said don't worry about it .. you can keep that .. :-) true story.

Drove it about 2 years and gladly scrapped it.
Car-Of-The-Year ! yeah right.

Hey, it lasted more than a year, what's yer beef?
I only had my Mustang II for three years until the body rotted out so
badly it couldn't be driven.

Ford liked to dress up other model cars and call them the Mustang. When
they turned the Pinto into a Mustang it was a bad move.

Had a friend with a Shelby Mustang. She called it "Mouse" because
it squeaked. Even at a 105.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.