Posted to rec.woodworking

Default old cars, rusty cars ... was what's the opposite of "Obtainium"?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 08:24:54 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

J. Clarke on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 06:05:17
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 19:26:27 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:07:53 -0500 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 4/26/2021 7:53 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:25:19 -0400,
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:50:36 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:01:38 -0400,
wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 09:52:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 4/25/2021 8:42 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 17:07:12 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
Snip
Between 1900 and 1975 the US managed to invent and bring into
production the airplane, nuclear power, computers, and the capability
to land on the Moon.
With the people born in the '30 and '40s. The millenials live in
mommy's basement and play X-Box. We were talking about 60 the last 60
years.
Well in all fairness, vehicles built in the US were pieces of crap from
72~2000. Progressively getting better year by year. Emission systems
that hardly worked and wasted fuel was not healthier for the earth.

Seems this is when the Japanese entered our market and pretty much
showed us how a vehicle should be built.

The Japanese had just followed the smart ideas coming out of the
US ... to bad American car companies hadn't adopted them.

Well yeah, because those ideas never work in the US. I went through
an example of that at a PPOE. The management jumped on the "Toyota
Production System" and gave all kinds of trainings and started using
words like "Kanban" and "Gemba". They even got an award for it (a US
based award named after a Japanese who don't get no respect in Japan).
I finally gave up on the company's training and started reading up on
the Toyota Production System from the people who actually created and
ran it. Well, what we were doing wasn't anything like the Toyota
Production System. And after a few years in which their
"improvements" didn't improve anything they jumped on the next flashy
thing that some consultand dangled in front of them and then pretended
to implement that.

Operative term "flashy thing". Everybody is looking for the magic
pill which will solve the problem if not in this quarter, then by the
time for the annual report.

Worse. They only wanted to make their boss look like they were doing
something, without the work of actually doing something.

When I ran into the terms "lean manufacturing" I was retraining in
tech school I kept thinking "I've heard this before, but where?" It
quickly came to me, "Ach Ja! 'Onkel Jan's Werkstat!' and all those
bossisms":
if you haven't got time to do it right, when will you have time to
fix it?
if you haven't got time to put it away, what makes you feel you'll
have time to look for it?
Every place with it's thing, every thing with it's place.
Well begun is half done.
Etc.

Yep. But the hand gets slapped every time sanity is spoken.

Others: "Only Customers pay wages. The Company is here to collect
my wages from the customer. But paychecks can't come in until good
product ship."

In the long term, there is no other way to operate.

"You can't make scrap fast enough to show a profit."

"Lean" like 5S, like just about everything, is a "process". not a
quick fix, but a means to an end. A series of little things which can
make production "easier". As I said of a new layout "every step I
take away from the machine (to get the parts to load into the machine)
is another step closer to the coffeepot."
It boils down to "work smart, not hard." But what is "smart"?
Depends on the situation.

It's another way of saying "Laziness is the mother of invention." It's
really true but it more often turns into "look busy".

Again,we're back to "how much planning is enough?" The proverb is
old, "Well begun is half done". Carlin got a certain amount of static
for his meticulous arraying of the parts to be worked on before he
started. Until it was noticed that his over all run times were well
within 'spec'. And that he had the eerie ability to when all were
laid out, to spot the out of tolerance part before he started.
I figured out that if I lined up the "in" parts and the out parts,
I could "see" how many to go, how many done, and have a ready answer
to "How much longer?" when the foreman asked. (My record is when I
got things set up "just so" and was able to get two work orders done
in 6 hours, when the schedule called for 12. Yeah me.)

Gotta get rid of that guy. He's making the rest of us look bad.

I really need to cut back on the coffee.

Nothing but decaf here. (Heart doesn't like caffiene)