Old October 14th 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

Just a rant ... a long one - sorry folks
but wondering if anyone else has any bad or good
experience with this type of lighting ?
And - buyer beware if you're outfitting your whole shop !

Less than a year ago, I installed a 4 ft. LED
self-contained plug-in light fixture in my back-basement
storage room. It was a very very decent looking item from
Lee Valley made by Armacost and more than double-the-cost
of the common cheapo units.
It failed last weekend ... after ~ 5 hours of ON time ! if that.
.... so much for the 10's-of-thousands-of-hours of LED bulb life !

I looked-it-over closely - checked the 120 volt cord & connectors -
everything was A-OK ; I pulled off the end-caps to check internal
wiring connectors A-OK ; pulled the ON-OFF switch ;
- everything was A-OK.

Guess what ? - Lee Valley doesn't carry them any more ;
Armacost says that it's discontinued and that it was probably
an internal power supply failure ... gee thanks !

The polite refund from Lee Valley meant that I was not out-of-pocket -
but it was little consolation - now I need to go shopping for
another fixture... again looking at the cheapo's that I avoided !

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...?item=99W7681W

Plus - I'm hoping that the replacement fixture can be matched to
the custom-made little 45 degree corner-mounting-blocks
that I made for the original fixtures ...

Geeeze ! thanks for listening :-)

John T.

Old October 15th 20, 02:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 5:43:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I understand your frustration, but I hope you aren't projecting this
failure across the entire universe of plug-in LED fixtures. The rare
faulty unit can show up in every product line from any manufacturer,
from lighting fixtures to appliances to cars.

I've got three cheapo 4' shop lights (3 different models, can't speak to
the internal workings, might just be different cases), three cheapo 3' foot
models, 6-ish of the cheapo screw-into-the-socket style shown below,
a bunch of cheapo under-cabinet-touchless LED strips, three recessed
can conversion units and four LED replacement T8 tubes that I put into a
couple of really old (30+ year) 4' shop light housings. One of the cheapo
shop lights is in my garage where temps range from below freezing to
over 90°F.

Hundreds of hours in total, not a single failure.

You got a bad unit. It happens.

These are great for those single bulb, screw in fixtures, like in many
older closets:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...0111/300188965

These are great for older recessed can lights. They have 5 switchable color choices.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-259/303780877

Old October 15th 20, 02:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:48:16 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Early life failures are a fact of life for all electronics. Some
better than others but it happens. The failure curve looks like a
bathtub (hence called a "bathtub curve"). Lotsa failures up front,
almost zero in the middle, rising after some time (lotsa time for most
modern electronics).
Old October 15th 20, 03:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:01:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply.
I've bought 2 3-ft. Feit brand fixtures on sale $ 20. each.
... time will tell, I guess.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...2599p.html#srp

John T.

Old October 15th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Go to banggood.com and look for an LED power supply in whatever volts
and amps the light needs. Yes, they're Chinese made. Yes, some of
them are junk.

However, a $7 power supply from there might resurrect your light
fixture and you might even find one that's close to the same size.

I have 3 under-cabinet LED fixtures that have been in place for maybe
10 years and still work fine. I've also had "stuff" that didn't
survive the first week. Some is from the "make it cheaper" mentality
but sometimes there are glitches in what we think are well made
products - couple of flaws in the 737-800 that took at least two
crashes and several deaths to find a solution beyond "have the other
pilot guard the throttles during landing so autothrottle doesn't take
engine one all the way to idle' xteen million for an aircraft and it
took them a year ot two to find and fix that problem. One crash and
multiple deaths when the pilot guarding the throttles had a heart
attack and was possibly dead before the plane went into its death
spiral.

Old October 15th 20, 03:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah .. Murphy is following me around.
John T.

Old October 15th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2020 4:48 PM, wrote:

[...]

Frustrating... But things break and at least you LV gave your money back.

I tend to very leery of special purchase electrical items offered by any
one.
Not saying this is the case but LV often offers these type "deals".
Old October 15th 20, 04:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 09:29:09 -0400, ads wrote:

[...]

Just prior to returning it to the store - I tried to get at the
internal power supply - no can do - not without seriously
wrecking the unit - it's about a foot into the aluminum
channel and either attached somehow or firmly snagged
on the mounting screw socket.
John T.

Old October 15th 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I just use 4 foot fluorescent lights in my shop area. I have 37 of the two bulb 4 foot fixtures in the basement. Once in a great while the fluorescent bulbs die. But its rare. And the bulbs cost $1 each or something like that. Fixtures were about $10 each maybe. They just run and run and make lots of light. Sometimes getting high faluting and fancy dandy just does not make sense. In your case it would have made lots more sense to just put in one or two of the single bulb fixtures with a pull chain. They are $1 each and dead simple. 110% reliable. 5 hours of on time in a whole year? Why not go for simple and reliable and cheap? Why F around?
Old October 16th 20, 12:30 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 14:13:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I just use 4 foot fluorescent lights in my shop area.
I have 37 of the two bulb 4 foot fixtures in the basement.
Once in a great while the fluorescent bulbs die. But its rare.
And the bulbs cost $1 each or something like that.
Fixtures were about $10 each maybe.
They just run and run and make lots of light.
Sometimes getting high faluting and fancy dandy just does not make sense.
In your case it would have made lots more sense to just put in one or two
of the single bulb fixtures with a pull chain.
They are $1 each and dead simple. 110% reliable.
5 hours of on time in a whole year?
Why not go for simple and reliable and cheap? Why F around?

I won't disagree with the Keep-It-Simple idea.
The plug-in fixture required no wiring and thus
no electrical safety inspection. The single-bulb slim-profile
allowed it to nest along the top corner with very little
protruding to get knocked off while storing / un-storing junk
The LED vs fluorescent and cost were not considerations
for this 1-fixture 1-time installation .. alas. :-)
On a positive note - the new 3 ft. Feit fixture required 33 inch
mount-spacing - my home-made mounts for the 4 ft.
fixtures were randomly installed drum roll
33 inches apart !
I'm heading out to buy a lotto ticket.
John T.