Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:37:57 -0700 (PDT), Bob D
wrote:

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 7:38:49 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
Just replaced 2 instant start ballasts and 16 tubes for a client
because all the lights in the office are the same - 2 tube pans in
dropped cielings - $210 in parts at my cost. Asthetics over economics
and I can understand that. To relamp the whole office with LEDs would
cost thousands -(50 units, +/-) and it's a rented office.

I am a fool when it comes to determining value based on cost. When I lit my shop, I wanted the brightest, most even lighting I could install with 5000k color. I selected 4" two tube daylight T5 fixtures. That was a few years back, but I still don't see LED fixtures that will compete with 10,000 lumens per fixture. I've replaced one tube and no fixtures. My shop feels like an operating room that has good light on every surface wall to wall.

I want it bright too. I have a 13x20 and 12x12 rooms each with six
two light T8 fixtures with 6500K (whiter the better) tubes each. I'm
about to add a 9x42 room with 16 two tube T8 LEDs,long one wall
they'll be 4500K LED fixtures and the other 6500K LED replacement
LEDs. I found the LED fixtures at a reasonable price or they'd all be
6500K.

The LED tubes are 2800l and the fluorescents are 3400l, IIRC.