Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 7:38:49 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 14:13:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
I just use 4 foot fluorescent lights in my shop area. I have 37 of the two bulb 4 foot fixtures in the basement. Once in a great while the fluorescent bulbs die. But its rare. And the bulbs cost $1 each or something like that. Fixtures were about $10 each maybe. They just run and run and make lots of light. Sometimes getting high faluting and fancy dandy just does not make sense. In your case it would have made lots more sense to just put in one or two of the single bulb fixtures with a pull chain. They are $1 each and dead simple. 110% reliable. 5 hours of on time in a whole year? Why not go for simple and reliable and cheap? Why F around?

and a dead ballast is $30-ish
2 tubes for $11.99 and a $35 ballast does NOT make ANY sense, in my
opinion. Not when I can buy a 4 foot LED that makes more light on 1/4
the power for $20

I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing. But at Menards store, the two bulb 4 foot fluorescent light fixtures are $13.34 each. And the bulbs are $1.77 each. So for $16.88, I can get some light. Multiply that by 37 for the number of fixtures I have in my basement and you are at a total of $624.56. That is a bit of money for lights. But I might have the best lit basement in the world. Every square inch is bright.

https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...?tid=-1&ipos=2

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...tid=-1&ipos=10

Just replaced 2 instant start ballasts and 16 tubes for a client
because all the lights in the office are the same - 2 tube pans in
dropped cielings - $210 in parts at my cost. Asthetics over economics
and I can understand that. To relamp the whole office with LEDs would
cost thousands -(50 units, +/-) and it's a rented office.