Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 09:29:09 -0400, ads wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:48:16 -0400, wrote:

Just a rant ... a long one - sorry folks
but wondering if anyone else has any bad or good
experience with this type of lighting ?
And - buyer beware if you're outfitting your whole shop !

Less than a year ago, I installed a 4 ft. LED
self-contained plug-in light fixture in my back-basement
storage room. It was a very very decent looking item from
Lee Valley made by Armacost and more than double-the-cost
of the common cheapo units.
It failed last weekend ... after ~ 5 hours of ON time ! if that.
... so much for the 10's-of-thousands-of-hours of LED bulb life !

I looked-it-over closely - checked the 120 volt cord & connectors -
everything was A-OK ; I pulled off the end-caps to check internal
wiring connectors A-OK ; pulled the ON-OFF switch ;
- everything was A-OK.

Guess what ? - Lee Valley doesn't carry them any more ;
Armacost says that it's discontinued and that it was probably
an internal power supply failure ... gee thanks !

The polite refund from Lee Valley meant that I was not out-of-pocket -
but it was little consolation - now I need to go shopping for
another fixture... again looking at the cheapo's that I avoided !

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...?item=99W7681W

Plus - I'm hoping that the replacement fixture can be matched to
the custom-made little 45 degree corner-mounting-blocks
that I made for the original fixtures ...

Geeeze ! thanks for listening :-)

John T.

Go to banggood.com and look for an LED power supply in whatever volts
and amps the light needs. Yes, they're Chinese made. Yes, some of
them are junk.
However, a $7 power supply from there might resurrect your light
fixture and you might even find one that's close to the same size.

Just prior to returning it to the store - I tried to get at the
internal power supply - no can do - not without seriously
wrecking the unit - it's about a foot into the aluminum
channel and either attached somehow or firmly snagged
on the mounting screw socket.
John T.