Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:21:24 -0700 (PDT), "

From: "

At the hangar we had all kinds of 2 and 4 tube flourescents - and the
ballasts were starting to fail pretty regularly. We used up all the
spare ballasts we had and most were still T12 - with the remainder T8.
Cheap replacement fixtures cost less than replacement ballasts up here
in Canada - and T8 bulbs retail are 11.99 per pair at Canadian Tire or
Home Despot - regular quick start ballasts are $35 - and single led
units can be bought for around $20 while led replacement "tubes" run
about $9 each on sale..
We pulled all the flourescents and replaced them with LED units.
Using the same number of "tubes", more evenly distributed, the hangar
is MUCH brighter - and the cost was less than replacing ballasts and
re-tubing,t12 4 footers are $10.98 Canadian per pair at Home Despot
and T12 ballasts are $24.59 each.
Upgrading to T8 the ballast are $36, plus or minus a dime or two, the
tubes $8 each, plus or minus a dime, whether bought sigly or in six
packs at the local Home Despot.
At my local wholesaler I can likely get them for about a quarter of a
dollar less - mabybe a buck less in full case lots.

2 light Feit LED units are within a dime of $60.
He picked up a whole carload (Can't remember the brand)(his Sonata)
on sale for $19? each

Now the good part - at the Hangar the cost of electricty is a certain
amount up to a certain amount of power per month - and it goes up
SIGNIFICANTLY if you go over - and not just for the overage, but for
the full consumption.
Relamping the hangar reduced consumption by 50% overall - and
lighting is not the ONLY power usage. He can use the welder
judiciously now without jumping to the higher power rate.
Turns out it was a double or triple win - less power, less cost than
re-ballasting and re-tubing, and more light