Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On 10/17/2020 1:25 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 01:58:55 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

The "simply rewire" means someone can replace the LED tubes with
regular fluorescent tubes (and blow a fuse, or explode, or... whatever).

I've thought about that. I'm not sure how to tackle it so am using
the replacement tubes. I suspect bad things would happen with one of
each but tubes _should_ be replaced in sets (whatever's connected to
the ballast)

If you are worried about that, it's a simple thing to write in black
magic marker in the fixture, LED ONLY.

I've replaced a lot fluorescent tubes, removing the ballasts and
sticking in LEDS. In my bathrooms that each had 3 double tube el cheapo
fixtures behind translucent drop ceilings, I would replace tubes about
once a year or so (PIA). I replaced the tubes with LEDS, and removed the
ballasts and no failures in 3 years. Better yet, I had to remove half
the led bulbs because they were too bright, so now instead of 6 junk
fluoresents, I have 3 LED tubes. I used the extra bulbs to replace
quality Fluorescents that never failed in 45 years in my shop, just to
save electiricty and for the extra light, but mainly just to use the
extra LED lights.

BW, the LEDS were SUNCO 6 for $40 on Amazon. I looked, and they don't
have them now, and don't know if they will be restocked. Probably a
little snooping around will find similar. They are the type that work
with or without the ballast. Seems stupid to use them with the ballast,
but whatever.

Jack