Old February 6th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default 4 foot LED shop lights - radio interference

Just bought a couple Armacost 4 ft. slim LED light fixtures -
very disappointed that they cause radio interference when turned on !
It was not a new issue to their customer service - but they just
recommended that I return them for a refund ... :-(
Has anyone else experienced radio interference with LED lights ?
... any fix for it ?
These are otherwise sweet light units - more expensive
than most - and I'd like to keep them.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ht-led-fixture

John T.

Old February 7th 20, 03:53 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Feb 2020 16:18:09 -0500, wrote:

Just bought a couple Armacost 4 ft. slim LED light fixtures -
very disappointed that they cause radio interference when turned on !
It was not a new issue to their customer service - but they just
recommended that I return them for a refund ... :-(
Has anyone else experienced radio interference with LED lights ?
... any fix for it ?
These are otherwise sweet light units - more expensive
than most - and I'd like to keep them.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ht-led-fixture

John T.

could try a ferrite core on the power cord - I had problems with RF
remote on cieling fans with cheap LED lamps
Old February 7th 20, 04:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/6/2020 4:18 PM, wrote:
Just bought a couple Armacost 4 ft. slim LED light fixtures -
very disappointed that they cause radio interference when turned on !
It was not a new issue to their customer service - but they just
recommended that I return them for a refund ... :-(
Has anyone else experienced radio interference with LED lights ?
... any fix for it ?
These are otherwise sweet light units - more expensive
than most - and I'd like to keep them.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ht-led-fixture

John T.

"radio interference" is pretty non-specific. AM radio? FM radio? Strong
signal area? Weak signal area? If it is a weak AM signal being interfered
with that is not surprising at all. As someone else posted the proper
ferrite cores applied to the cord as close to the fixture as possible is
one possible remediation but the core has to be chosen for the frequency
range for the best results but will only work if the cord is acting as an
antenna for the interference.

The proper, if painful, path to follow is a complaint to the FCC about an
interfering product -- they are supposed to be tested for and designed to
prevent interfering with communications.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.
Old February 7th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 10:00:54 -0500, John McGaw wrote:

On 2/6/2020 4:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

FM radio ; strong signal; in the same room.
Hopefully moot - once I install the lights in the basement.
John T.

Old February 8th 20, 05:57 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Lights should NOT interfere with FM!!!!! Is it a powered radio or
battery? Try checking to see which side of the panel the lights are on
and put the radio on the other side as a test - sounds like the noise
is coming through the power, not the air

Old February 8th 20, 02:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Either way - the end result is the same ..
Perhaps folks reading this will be aware and test their
LED fixtures for radio interference - prior to installing them.
I'd be really PO'd if these lights were meant for my kitchen
where my radio is on 14 hours per day !
John T.

Old February 8th 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Did you ever think that the problem is the radio, not the lights?
There is no guarantee of noninterference, just limits on emissions. As
noted here, emissions can come in two ways, radiated (through the air)
and conducted (through the power cord). Clair is right, it's highly
unlikely the problem is the lights radiating in the 88-108MHz FM band.