WARRENRN1

Default 8 FOOT vs. 4 FOOT

i have a couple 8 foot florescent lights over my shop area which make a hum
loud enough to make you wear ear plugs.... these were BORG shop lights. the
shop is the lowest level of the house, so it is usually cooler than the rest of
the house, like about 55-60 degrees.

the noise is a real distraction so i am thinking about putting up a bank of 4
footers in exchange for the 2 8 footers......... i can also spread them out
a little bit more to get better lighting in different part of the shop...

what should i be looking for in terms of shop lights..... i staying with
florescents and not going to halogens... even tho they would be nice in the
winter time....

any help would be most appreciated...
Edwin Pawlowski

"WARRENRN1" wrote in message
i have a couple 8 foot florescent lights over my shop area which make a

hum
loud enough to make you wear ear plugs.... these were BORG shop lights.

what should i be looking for in terms of shop lights..... i staying with
florescents and not going to halogens... even tho they would be nice in

the
winter time....

Most anything that Borg light. Cheap lights are more prone to hum Check
with an electrical supply house for better quality stuff.
Ed

Creamy Goodness

WARRENRN1 wrote:
i have a couple 8 foot florescent lights over my shop area which make
a hum loud enough to make you wear ear plugs.... these were BORG
shop lights. the shop is the lowest level of the house, so it is
usually cooler than the rest of the house, like about 55-60 degrees.

the noise is a real distraction so i am thinking about putting up a
bank of 4 footers in exchange for the 2 8 footers......... i can
also spread them out a little bit more to get better lighting in
different part of the shop...

what should i be looking for in terms of shop lights..... i staying
with florescents and not going to halogens... even tho they would be
nice in the winter time....

any help would be most appreciated...

I recently put up 3 banks of 4 - 4' florescents across the garage ceiling.
I put in a dedicated circut for these and got them and the bulbs at the
local borg. Newer bulbs for em, supposed to run cleaner and brighter. All
I know is my neighbors call my garage "the clean room" now and we have no
more disputes when playing a game of darts in the garage, sipping one of
Scotlands finest single malts and smoking fine cigars. (That's what a shop
is for after hours right?) I think the whole set up cost me around $80, not
including the circut wiring. Bright as hell, takes about 5-10 minutes to
totally warm up to full light on cold Colorado days.

I'll look tonight to see exactly what kind of "new" bulbs these take.

Creamy Goodness

Creamy Goodness wrote:
WARRENRN1 wrote:
[...]

Oh, and haven't heard a hum yet. Cept from my TS.

j.b. miller

I got rid of my 8 footers after breaking one of the tubes( don't ask) and
went with 4 footers.
Easier to replace( whole units are cheaper than ballasts,go figure), bulbs
are easier to transport and store, and lighting can be easily beefed up in
'work station' areas. Also split the lights into general overhead switch and
work station lighting switch.
After 18 years I 'think' I'm better off.....easier to see stuff on the floor
anyway...

mttt

"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:69da8$405741c9$41a9ca42$26587@allthenewsgroup s.com...

sipping one of Scotlands finest single malts

Which one? I'm a newbie here too and looking to expand my horizons.

totally warm up to full light on cold Colorado days.

It ain't cold here...
Minnesota's cold.
This is "pleasant"!

Mike Rinken

mttt wrote:
"Creamy Goodness" creamy at agbf1942 dot com wrote in message
news:69da8$405741c9$41a9ca42$26587@allthenewsgroup s.com...

sipping one of Scotlands finest single malts

Which one? I'm a newbie here too and looking to expand my horizons.

totally warm up to full light on cold Colorado days.

It ain't cold here...
Minnesota's cold.
This is "pleasant"!

(This is Creamy Goodness posting from home)

I'm very partial to Glenlivet as I believe it has the perfect smooth taste,
not too strong or too sweet. I also like McCallum but it's a little sweeter
and stronger.

And I grew up in Minnesota! And you're right it DOES get REALLY cold there.

--

Mike

x071907

(WARRENRN1) wrote in message ...
i have a couple 8 foot florescent lights over my shop area which make a hum
loud enough to make you wear ear plugs.... these were BORG shop lights. the
shop is the lowest level of the house, so it is usually cooler than the rest of
the house, like about 55-60 degrees.

the noise is a real distraction so i am thinking about putting up a bank of 4
footers in exchange for the 2 8 footers......... i can also spread them out
a little bit more to get better lighting in different part of the shop...

what should i be looking for in terms of shop lights..... i staying with
florescents and not going to halogens... even tho they would be nice in the
winter time....

any help would be most appreciated...

I just finished installing 12, 4' T-8 fixtures in my garage and it is
bright as hell in there (21'x26' garage). I bought the cheap T-8
fixtures ($7.50) from Home Depot and I am very satisfied with them. I
still have a couple of old T-12 fixtures in the garage and there is a
major difference in brightness between the two fixtures. I've only
had the lights installed for about a week but I have been turning them
on quite frequently. The temperature has ranged from 50 down to 30
degrees in the garage when I have been using the lights. I do not
here any noise with these new fixtures within this temperature range.
I don't think you can go wrong with these fixtures. If you are
uncertain of the quality of these cheap fixtures (as I was) I would
suggest buying one of them and install it in the garage. I think you
will be very satisfied with this fixture (especially for the price).
Bill

"WARRENRN1" wrote in message
[...]

Purchase 'high performance ballasts' to replace your existing ones. Did this
in my shop to kill the hum, and also to get the bulbs lit when its 10
degrees. Think I hated the flicker more than the noise!

Raymond D. Hodil Jr.

I bought a bunch of 4 foot light from Home Depot. They were about $20.00
each with instant on and rate to work at -5 degree's. they use the small
bulbs with the green ends. I have no trouble with them at all and they are
easily moved.I have a 10' ceiling in my shop so it is pretty well light.
Good luck and I hope that this is of some help to you. Ray H.
"Bill" wrote in message

"WARRENRN1" wrote in message
[...]

RM MS

Fluorescent lights make people nuts and crazy because of the chopped
waveform of the emitted light. You will be reading about this some day.
If you don't believe it, visit any classroom on a rainy day when there
is no natural sunlight. Incandescent lights are the only reasonable
choice for comfort and safety. And you can run them for pennies a day.