Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 14:13:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I just use 4 foot fluorescent lights in my shop area.
I have 37 of the two bulb 4 foot fixtures in the basement.
Once in a great while the fluorescent bulbs die. But its rare.
And the bulbs cost $1 each or something like that.
Fixtures were about $10 each maybe.
They just run and run and make lots of light.
Sometimes getting high faluting and fancy dandy just does not make sense.
In your case it would have made lots more sense to just put in one or two
of the single bulb fixtures with a pull chain.
They are $1 each and dead simple. 110% reliable.
5 hours of on time in a whole year?
Why not go for simple and reliable and cheap? Why F around?

I won't disagree with the Keep-It-Simple idea.
The plug-in fixture required no wiring and thus
no electrical safety inspection. The single-bulb slim-profile
allowed it to nest along the top corner with very little
protruding to get knocked off while storing / un-storing junk
The LED vs fluorescent and cost were not considerations
for this 1-fixture 1-time installation .. alas. :-)
On a positive note - the new 3 ft. Feit fixture required 33 inch
mount-spacing - my home-made mounts for the 4 ft.
fixtures were randomly installed drum roll
33 inches apart !
I'm heading out to buy a lotto ticket.
John T.