Old July 2nd 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

DerbyDad03 on Wed, 1 Jul 2020 22:10:57 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Well, actually, the header doesn't necessarily go at the top of the wall.

"It does if you're trying to fit a tall window" B-)

Technically, it goes above the rough opening. Depending on the height of
the wall and placement of the rough opening, there may be studs between
the header and the top plate of the wall.

See he https://www.shedking.net/images/shed-framing-names.jpg

That said, Yes, building your own header is OK and probably the most common
method of creating a header. For 2 x 4 walls, you should seriously consider
adding a piece of 1/2" ply or OSB between the 2 x X's to build it out to the
full width of the 2 x 4 top plate.

As the header on these walls are 2x4, well, it doesn't matter. The
Window frame is going to be more than 4 inches 'deep'. My current
thinking is to use a 2x6, and remove a "right sized" grove so I can
have the two window panels fit ... and I'll get back to you on that
when I confirm the dimensions.

However, I'm pretty sure that an 8' rough opening in a single story, load
bearing wall requires a minimum of a double 2 x 10, not 2 x 8. It might
need to be even bigger depending on the snow load.

I should have been clearer. While the original window was 8'
wide, the parts I'm repurposing are 2 feet wide. If I use both of
them, I have a 4 foot 2 inch span.

(Old rule of thumb was width of opening plus 2)

Should we stop right here and not worry about your other question?

Yeah. Priorities have changed for the next five weeks.

--
pyotr filipivich

Old July 2nd 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny on Thu, 2 Jul 2020 05:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 12:11:00 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

For 2 x 4 walls, you should seriously consider
adding a piece of 1/2" ply or OSB between the 2 x X's to build it out to the full width of the 2 x 4 top plate.

+1. Do you understand what Derby is saying, here?

Yes. Adding a plywood "stiffener". expansion.

However, I'm pretty sure that an 8' rough opening in a single story, load
bearing wall requires a minimum of a double 2 x 10, not 2 x 8. It might
need to be even bigger depending on the snow load.

Compare the price of 2X8s and 2X10s.... not really much difference. Use 2X10s, at the least.

Probably doesn't matter how low your window is. Just don't have your sill, if any, poking out to interfere with your bench. No telling, you may move the bench to another location, later.

I've already moved that bench twice in the last year, one more
time is going to be "the last time". It is just a question of "how
much?" - two feet to the right, or to the other end of the shed?

Sonny

--
pyotr filipivich
Old July 2nd 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I should have been clearer. While the original window was 8'
wide, the parts I'm repurposing are 2 feet wide. If I use both of
them, I have a 4 foot 2 inch span.

Or, since going to be behind the bench which I presume is well over 4'
in length, you could leave, say, 6-8" between the two and reduce header
height with the intermediary full-support studs between.

If have to bump out for the window depth anyway, frame in 2x6 instead
and you've got extra depth to make up for some height in the header as well.

Get by with just a doubled top plate that way...

Old July 2nd 20, 08:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:59:55 AM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Which brings me back to "fitting the windows" because I'm going to
loose that wall space behind the bench..

Option, with some extra work maybe, if you only gonna use the 2 smaller 2'X5' sashes. Install the sashes sideways, make a double hung unit so that you can open the sashes from either top or bottom. The whole unit would be ~ 5' wide and above the bench.

Sonny
Old July 2nd 20, 08:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 2:06:43 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:59:55 AM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Which brings me back to "fitting the windows" because I'm going to
loose that wall space behind the bench..

Option, with some extra work maybe, if you only gonna use the 2 smaller 2'X5' sashes. Install the sashes sideways, make a double hung unit so that you can open the sashes from either top or bottom. The whole unit would be ~ 5' wide and above the bench.

Sonny

The 2 sashes wouldn't have to mate against one another, in the middle. Each would have its own separate track along the jams. Possibly easier to repair and/or replace if one sash gets broken.

Sonny

Old July 2nd 20, 08:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 12:59:53 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Sonny on Thu, 2 Jul 2020 05:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 12:11:00 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

For 2 x 4 walls, you should seriously consider
adding a piece of 1/2" ply or OSB between the 2 x X's to build it out to the full width of the 2 x 4 top plate.

+1. Do you understand what Derby is saying, here?

Yes. Adding a plywood "stiffener". expansion.

Just to be clear, "stiffener" has (next to) nothing to do with it.

If your walls are 2x4, they are 3.5 inches "thick". A double 2x(4,6,8) header
is only 3". The 1/2 ply/OSB is to make the header as "thick" as the walls so
everything is flush when (if) you want to finish the wall, inside or out, as well as fully filling the space for maximum support.

The addition of the 1/2 ply doesn't add much strength when you consider that
probably half of the laminations are running the wrong way and not helping
at all.

Old July 2nd 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Thu, 2 Jul 2020 12:33:29 -0700
[...]

Ah, I had not figured that. The block of wood I used the other
time "fitted".

thanks

--
pyotr filipivich
Old July 2nd 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny on Thu, 2 Jul 2020 12:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:59:55 AM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Which brings me back to "fitting the windows" because I'm going to
loose that wall space behind the bench..

Option, with some extra work maybe, if you only gonna use the 2 smaller 2'X5' sashes. Install the sashes sideways, make a double hung unit so that you can open the sashes from either top or bottom. The whole unit would be ~ 5' wide and above the bench.

I've thought about that too. More engineering B-)
--
pyotr filipivich
Old July 2nd 20, 09:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

this part of the shop has studs on 24" centers,

2 x 4 24 inch centers supporting a loft & roof ?
.... ok if you say so.
John T.

Old July 3rd 20, 01:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

on Thu, 02 Jul 2020 16:29:10 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

this part of the shop has studs on 24" centers,

2 x 4 24 inch centers supporting a loft & roof ?
.... ok if you say so.

Yep. Made it myself.
John T.

--