Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

on Sat, 04 Jul 2020 20:04:30 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

Why would you possibly want to go "good ol boy" when it comes to power?

Because the main difference is I don't have the bond / license. I
have known enough folks who did/do know what they were doing to rewire
their house, and by placing a receptacle where the power from the
street will get plugged in. Thus, the entire house was "an
appliance".
(Likewise I heard the inspectors tell the department head, that if
he hardwires the new lathe, it will cost minimum of 1500 to get it
inspected and signed off on. OTOH, if he has a plug attached to the
wiring so that it just plugs in, the same inspection and certification
is $500.)

That's only one of the problems living in a totalitarian city. Where
I've lived, they want an inspection when a building permit is needed
but otherwise it's not needed for electrical work. There is no need
for licensed electricians, either, as long as you're doing the work
for yourself. I've added, I think, eight circuits (two 240V) for my
shop. Unfinished basements are a big advantage. ;-)

It is called "working with the rules". Friend retired to Greece,
got a house built there. Because of the way the code was written, he
got "final inspection" once the walls were up. Before power and
water, and windows, doors, and possibly the roof were installed. And
his house was appraised as such, which set his property taxes. Then
he went and did such finishing touched as putting in the windows,
putting down flooring, adding lights and electricity . ..
I also recall seeing houses with rebar sticking up oout of the top
wall. Because that way the house was "unfinished" and thus taxed at a
lower rate. Lots of design features which have their roots in
avoiding tax.
--
pyotr filipivich