Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

on Sun, 05 Jul 2020 18:35:38 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 14:10:39 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

DerbyDad03 on Sat, 4 Jul 2020 20:44:02 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I've done quite a bit of electrical work in my house over the years and have
helped a few other people out. I always make sure I understand what the code
is for each project and I always follow it.

Bingo! Know the code, and follow it. The only thing the
contractor can do that you can't, is sign the paper.
I can draw up all the plans I want, but it is Petros's stamp
"Licenced Civil Engineer" which makes them "Official". I can wire
anything I want, but it's not official until Gary or Vince sign off on
my work.

The point is that in any place I've lived, even a sign off isn't
necessary unless the job requires a building permit (read: increases
the property value = increases property taxes).

Yes, that is sort of the point. If I don't need a permit, I can
do it anyway I want. Well, within limits, attracting attention to
oneself with an four story light house, or an improperly shielded
nuclear reactor for power (talk about going "off grid") and you have
all sorts of troubles.
And as the saying goes, "What the Government doesn't know about,
the government doesn't know about."

OTOH, I'm reminded of the moonshiner who got technical skill's
training while in the joint. Learned to be a copper smith. And the
next time he was caught running shine, even the sheriff and judge had
to admit, it was the nicest copper work still he'd seen in his career.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich