Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making Long Window Header Opinions

When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or OSB
between the 2 x's

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 8:58*am, "ROANIN" wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or OSB
between the 2 x's

It doesn't make any real difference. Long headers are best made from
LVLs - much stronger, stiffer and they don't shrink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "ROANIN" wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or OSB
between the 2 x's

Plywood is considerably stronger than OSB.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2010 7:58 AM, ROANIN wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or OSB
between the 2 x's

what ever is the proper thickness for what you need to end up with.
Sometimes i just use scrap blocks of sheetrock.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/25/2010 7:58 AM, ROANIN wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or
OSB between the 2 x's

what ever is the proper thickness for what you need to end up with.
Sometimes i just use scrap blocks of sheetrock.

Does not the Plywood or OSB add a bit of structual strength to the header?

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 7:17*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/25/2010 8:43 AM, ROANIN wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/25/2010 7:58 AM, ROANIN wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or
OSB between the 2 x's

what ever is the proper thickness for what you need to end up with.
Sometimes i just use scrap blocks of sheetrock.

Does not the Plywood or OSB add a bit of structual strength to the header?

Not that i've seen or read. *It's the 2 or 3 two by whatevers that
provide the proper support. *The spacers are just to make the whole
thing the right thickness for the wall.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

But my buildign inspector required that I replace my double 2x6 porch
support beam with double 2x8 with a 1/2" ply well glued.

Of course it is the old "what the inspector wants, is what he
gets" . I did talk him out of some of his other complaints. Built
his way I could have parked a D6 dozer on it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/25/2010 7:58 AM, ROANIN wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or
OSB between the 2 x's

what ever is the proper thickness for what you need to end up with.
Sometimes i just use scrap blocks of sheetrock.
Does not the Plywood or OSB add a bit of structual strength to the header?

Not that i've seen or read. *It's the 2 or 3 two by whatevers that
provide the proper support. *The spacers are just to make the whole
thing the right thickness for the wall.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

But my buildign inspector required that I replace my double 2x6 porch
support beam with double 2x8 with a 1/2" ply well glued.

The bump up from 2x6s to 2x8s has a much bigger effect on the strength
than adding the plywood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

that's the problem with inspectors and inspections. They tend to do it
"thier" way and not the book way. That's why i read the book and leave
the inspectors, inspections, and permits out of the deal.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

I agree. The ply is mostly just to make the two other boards conform
to the 3 1/2" wall thickness. I've seen all sorts of scraps used in
that application. If 2x8 was marginal then maybe the inspector was
doing you a favor. What did the span tables call for? What's your
span? Double 2x6 as beam is not a lot of beam. The ability to resist
deflection goes up a lot as you increase the height of the beam. Not
because of the increased strength but because of the increased
distance between the top and the bottom. That's how they make I beams
out of 2x4 and osb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like to use foam. If strength is a issue then I use steel.

"ROANIN" wrote in message
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or OSB
between the 2 x's

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

So from what I am reading, the glue and nails that hold the plywood or osb
between the 2 x 'S do nothing to increase the strength of the header?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

yes, that's been stated a few times now.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 4:27 pm, "Roanin" wrote:

So from what I am reading, the glue and nails that hold the plywood or osb
between the 2 x 'S do nothing to increase the strength of the header?

Any time you have a composite structural member the parts should be
well attached. A simple window header doesn't really benefit from
attaching the parts with more than the usual attention. Unless there
is a great disparity in the strength/stiffness between the two 2x
layers, the header parts will naturally work together.

There's an old saying - stiffness attracts load. The weaker layer will
deflect more/sooner than the stronger layer. The stronger (read
stiffer) 2x will take more of the load until it deflects to the point
where the weaker layer starts picking up the load.

Bonding the layers together makes the composite header's layers work
in unison immediately, which would tend to reduce the deflection by a
little bit. But the header span is usually relatively short and the
absolute deflection is small - much, much smaller than a floor joist
would experience.

Window headers do move, but most of the movement - at least for solid
sawn lumber headers - is shrinkage from drying. That's one of the
reasons that there shouldn't be any shims between the header and the
top of the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---- Hide quoted text -

Not really. You never did tell us what your span was and what exactly
you are supporting with this beam.