Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Making Long Window Header Opinions

On Jul 25, 7:17*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/25/2010 8:43 AM, ROANIN wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/25/2010 7:58 AM, ROANIN wrote:
When making headers for windows etc, is it better to use Plywood or
OSB between the 2 x's

what ever is the proper thickness for what you need to end up with.
Sometimes i just use scrap blocks of sheetrock.

Does not the Plywood or OSB add a bit of structual strength to the header?

Not that i've seen or read. *It's the 2 or 3 two by whatevers that
provide the proper support. *The spacers are just to make the whole
thing the right thickness for the wall.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

But my buildign inspector required that I replace my double 2x6 porch
support beam with double 2x8 with a 1/2" ply well glued.

Of course it is the old "what the inspector wants, is what he
gets" . I did talk him out of some of his other complaints. Built
his way I could have parked a D6 dozer on it.

Harry K