Posted to rec.woodworking

Default putting a header for a window

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 20:44:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 11:20:29 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/4/2020 7:18 PM, wrote:

That's only one of the problems living in a totalitarian city. Where
I've lived, they want an inspection when a building permit is needed
but otherwise it's not needed for electrical work. There is no need
for licensed electricians, either, as long as you're doing the work
for yourself. I've added, I think, eight circuits (two 240V) for my
shop. Unfinished basements are a big advantage. ;-)

I'm surprised that any jurisdiction allows that sort of
electrical work - without inspection.
... does your home insurance company feel the same ?
John T.

Essentially same here -- homeowner can serve as the contractor on own
residence/property, just have to get the permit and inspection when
permit needed.

I generally don't bother other than when did hire contractor owing to
size of the entry-way and other work project we did last year kicked in
the need....but still did the electrical work myself.

--

I've done quite a bit of electrical work in my house over the years and have
helped a few other people out. I always make sure I understand what the code

Absolutely. In fact I exceed it by a lot. The guy who inspected a
previous house gave me some tips on ways to show an inspector that I
really knew what I was doing, not necessarily code but more than.

In that case I put in a sub on the opposite end of the house. He
didn't blink an eye at it.

In another newsgroup, in a galaxy far, far away, there was an electrical
inspector that answered just about every question related to electrical work.

I remember him but I don't remember his name. He'd site chapter and
verse, along with a translation from NECese to English.

I saved his email address and when I got ready to install the inlet and
panel interlock for my generator, I contacted him. We traded a few emails
and he was immensely helpful in making sure I got it right. He even supplied
a few part numbers for me to look up so I knew exactly what I was shopping
for.

2 power outages later, I'm real glad he was available to help me out, even
if he was a few thousand miles away. While I was doing to the work, I was
confident that I was doing it right and that made me confident each time I
used the generator set up that is was safe and properly installed.