Old March 7th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw dust collection?

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

Old March 7th 18, 03:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/18 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

If you can find it...
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/Dust_Ch...keen_dc_ms.htm

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old March 7th 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

sawdustmaker writes:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

I have a cardboard box of the appropriate size mounted behind
the SCMS, with a standard sloped plastic dust plate (with 4"
outlet) mounted in the (graviational) bottom of the
box. The box is as wide as the saw stand and a bit
taller than the saw itself (12" dewalt). Seems to
work well.
Old March 7th 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 15:27:50 GMT, sawdustmaker
wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

You can hook it up to the vacum (but you still need the broom and dust
pan), build a work station set it up with connection to dust
collection system.

Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

SCMS are not well made for dust collection neither are most RAS.

Use it outside?
Old March 7th 18, 07:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2018 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

It all focuses around the design of the saw and it's method used to
direct the dust directly or not so directly into the dust port. I have
seem several that have taped a piece of card board behind the blade to
modify the existing "scoop".

Regardless of what method you use a dust collector/shop vac, in place of
the bag, will help more than anything. While neither may not collect
all of the dust it is likely that the vast majority of the fine dust,
that which ends up in your lungs, will be captured by the vacuum.

And if money is no object, I have another suggestion that is as close to
perfect as I have seen.

Old March 7th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

You can hook it up to the vacum (but you still need the broom and dust
pan), build a work station set it up with connection to dust
collection system.

Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

Maybe not, He would need the Kapex too, and any decent vacuum should
suffice.

Old March 7th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2018 10:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

If you can find it...
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/Dust_Ch...keen_dc_ms.htm

pretty cool. I have not seen that. I don't think the window will allow
lasers to be accurate... I think they can bend the light. But aside from
that. It actually looks promising (somewhat)

--
Jeff
Old March 7th 18, 11:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/18 1:35 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/7/2018 10:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/7/18 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than
there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

If you can find it...
http://www.toolovation.co.uk/Dust_Ch...keen_dc_ms.htm

pretty cool. I have not seen that. I don't think the window will allow
lasers to be accurate... I think they can bend the light. But aside from
that. It actually looks promising (somewhat)

I actually have one they sent me to review, but I haven't set it up yet.
About a week after I got it we had some pretty serious family things
that made it take a back seat.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old March 7th 18, 11:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/18 12:00 PM, Markem wrote:
Buy a Festool and Vacum ( you will get at least 90% in the vac).

SCMS are not well made for dust collection

This looked like the most promising thing for CMS, but it dropped of the
face of the earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-cnRNx2Hk

neither are most RAS.

I made a modification for my RAS that, coupled with it's integrated dust
scoop, has made it the most dust-free saw in the shop.

I wonder when companies will start manufacturing their saws using the
ingenuity we employ when we modify them. :-)
I guess Festool is already on it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old March 8th 18, 12:31 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

This is one place to go big, or go home. This is what I use on my
Bosch:

https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-SAWHOODWHITE-FastCap-Chopshop-Hood/dp/B000VS4K7K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520468936&sr=8-3&keywords=miter+saw+hood

This looks interesting, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000-Solution-Miter-Silver/dp/B00MFGRT06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520468936&sr=8-1&keywords=miter+saw+hood