Dick Snyder

Default Looking to exchange some email or postings with Barry Burke regarding dust collection on miter saw

I apologize to this group for doing a posting for an individual but I don't
have an email for him. I want to make a dust collector for my SCMS based on
his design:

http://www.bburke.com/wood/jigsandtools.html

but I have some questions. Barry, if you are lurking out there could you
possibly send me email or we can exchange questions and answers in the
newsgroup. It doesn't make any difference to me.

Sorry to bother the rest of you .

Dick Snyder

Ba r r y

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:19:12 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

but I have some questions. Barry, if you are lurking out there could you
possibly send me email or we can exchange questions and answers in the
newsgroup. It doesn't make any difference to me.

Ask and you shall receive. Go ahead and ask here, or hit me @
balsapilot @ yahoo dot com for direct contact.

Barry
Dick Snyder

Hi Barry,

Thanks for replying. I will ask here so that others who may be dealing with
dust collection on a miter saw might benefit from your comments.

I am using my miter saw right now to finish up a project with a bunch of
miters but I plan to take the time to make a dust collector similar to the
one on your website once I complete my current project. To prevent my
workshop from being inundated with too much fine dust I hung up some plastic
tarps at the back of my miter saw to try to get most of the dust to drop
straight down. When doing 45 degree cuts I was AMAZED at how far to the side
the dust shot out. I looked at your pictures and I assume you solved that as
you said 99% of the dust was collected in your setup. So here is my
question - what is the key in getting that dust that shoots out to the side
to be caught rather than escape beyond the edges of the hood you made? It
looks like yours is as wide but no wider than the platform for your miter
saw.

I guess a second question is with all the open face of the hood, does your
4" dust collection opening actually draw any dust into it or do you just end
up sweeping it into the hole with a brush? Particularly when the saw is
swung over to make a 45 degree cut I would think the dust would just
collect in the corner of the hood. This really isn't a major question - if I
have to sweep the dust I will do so happily as long as it isn't floating all
over my workshop WITHOUT the hood.

Thanks.

Dick Snyder

wrote:

but I have some questions. Barry, if you are lurking out there could you
possibly send me email or we can exchange questions and answers in the
newsgroup. It doesn't make any difference to me.

Ask and you shall receive. Go ahead and ask here, or hit me @
balsapilot @ yahoo dot com for direct contact.

Barry

B a r r y

Dick Snyder wrote:
what is the key in getting that dust that shoots out to the side
to be caught rather than escape beyond the edges of the hood you made? It
looks like yours is as wide but no wider than the platform for your miter
saw.

The saw sits slightly back inside the enclosure. The pipe that normally
attaches to the dust bag on my saw is movable. I turn the pipe to face
the general direction of the DC opening. Some dust ends up sitting on
the floor of the enclosure, sloping the floor towards the DC pipe would
help this, but it doesn't bother me enough to change things. The air
draw of the DC prevents dust from moving out of the enclosure.

I guess a second question is with all the open face of the hood, does your
4" dust collection opening actually draw any dust into it or do you just end
up sweeping it into the hole with a brush? Particularly when the saw is
swung over to make a 45 degree cut I would think the dust would just
collect in the corner of the hood.

See above. Keep in mind, my hood is attached to a Jet DC1100 with a
cannister filter by only a few feet of pipe. There is plenty of air
movement into the hood.

I can take more photos if there is anything you need to see.

My hood works well, but could use some minor improvements and cosmetic
work. I'm planning on moving my saw and lumber rack, so I'll probably
make some minor changes. Overall, I'm still happy with it after about
4-5 years of use.

Barry
Dick Snyder

Thanks Barry. No more pictures needed. I am curious about the three
dimensions of your hood. Since your hood works well I want to keep the same
proportions with my Bosch SCMS.

Dick

"B a r r y" wrote in message
. com...
Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

B a r r y

Dick Snyder wrote:
Thanks Barry. No more pictures needed. I am curious about the three
dimensions of your hood. Since your hood works well I want to keep the same
proportions with my Bosch SCMS.

The dimensions are the minimum required to clear the rear pipes at full
miter and slide (Check BOTH ways! G DAMHIKT), the width of the saw,
and my hand on the handle when the saw is all the way up.

I worked out a cardboard and duct tape model to plan the dimensions.
The saw's fence is about 1/2" outside the hood.

Barry
Dick Snyder

Thanks Barry

"B a r r y" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
Thanks Barry. No more pictures needed. I am curious about the three
dimensions of your hood. Since your hood works well I want to keep the
same proportions with my Bosch SCMS.

The dimensions are the minimum required to clear the rear pipes at full
miter and slide (Check BOTH ways! G DAMHIKT), the width of the saw, and
my hand on the handle when the saw is all the way up.

I worked out a cardboard and duct tape model to plan the dimensions. The
saw's fence is about 1/2" outside the hood.

Barry

21st Century E-Business Money Making Formula NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 10th 05 02:40 AM
money lilly Woodturning 0 January 6th 05 11:56 PM
Dust collection at the table saw blade guard Dick Snyder Woodworking 19 September 27th 04 10:44 PM
Bosch 4000 TS & dust collection Dick Snyder Woodworking 0 September 24th 04 07:53 PM
Lost my all my email and change of email addy Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 August 14th 03 11:30 PM