Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw dust collection?

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 10:45:31 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 3/9/2018 10:07 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 9:27:53 AM UTC-6, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

I just contacted Milescraft and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Milescraft, we would like to thank you for your interest in the #1502 DustChuter for miter saws (formerly Keen Dust Chuter). Unfortunately, at this time the product is not available. We appreciate your patience while Milescraft is in the process of making final changes before manufacturing. The major challenge Milescraft is facing, are the different types of miter saws. Attaching our new DustChuter to every model is basically impossible. So far, we know it fits the following brands and models.

DustChuter Confirmed Compatibility:

Bosch 3915
Bosch 5312
Bosch 4410L
Bosch 5412L
Bosch GCM12SD
Craftsman 21237
DeWalt DW708
Kobalt SM2507LW
Ridgid R4121
Ridgid 4112
Makita LS1016L
Ridgid MS1290LZA

Should you not have one of the saws mentioned above, please let us know which saw you do have, as you may still be eligible for testing the product.

Also does anyone know which SCMS the HF 12" is modeled after ?

According to Harbor Freight's website, their 12" SCMS (model# 61969 or
61970 ) is comparable to the Kobalt SM3055LW and Harbor Freight doesn't
list a comparable saw to their Hercules (Model#63978).

Drat! Would snatch up one of those DustChuter's for my HF SCMS in a
heartbeat.

Just tell them you have an Harbor Feight model thus and so and see
what they do. They may decide that it's worth testing.