Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw dust collection?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:25:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 12:22:21 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/16/2021 3:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 08:39:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
On 3/16/2021 1:36 AM, Murph Spider wrote:
Any updated news on this or any other manufacturer that makes one?

https://www.amazon.com/Rousseau-5000...22905582&psc=1

https://www.rockler.com/fastcap-chop... AlVkEALw_wcB
I have one of the Fastcap ones. It works well but takes a LOT of
space. It doesn't really take much more behind the saw because the
rails are back there anyway. It would be dumb to put a Kapex or the
Bosch Bevel Glide saw in there.

They also just dump the dust out the bottom. Something on the floor
to dump it into is needed and it doesn't just drop. It gets hung up in
the cover, which then has to be cleaned out. It makes it a awkward
mess to move around, too.

As I mentioned earlier, other than the exterior hoods like Fastcap, any miter
saw dust collection mod needs to be specific to the model saw being used.
There is no universal chute or chute accessory that will work for every saw.

This guy took the Pattison's chute mod for the Bosch saw a step further and
added a 3D printed "ramp" to lift the dust into the chute well as a flap at the
top to catch dust that hits the top of the chute and falls back down.

The cool thing is the way he diagnosed the problem. He uses slow motion video
to capture the path taken by both smoke and the sawdust as it approached the
chute. His tests really emphasize my point that miter saw dust collection is
really, really specific to each model saw.

IOW, if you want to improve your saw, you need to know what is happening with
your saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDQSWgTmGFo

Dust collection was a major reason that I choose the Kapex over the
Bosch. I think the biggest issue with collection is the path past the
chute, inside the saw, to the vac hose.

I'm sure that that is part of the issue, but the dust has to get into the
saw before that area can enter into the equation. As shown in Keith's
video, some of the dust wasn't even making it into the chute.

Pattison's chute modification (intentionally not discussed in detail in
Keith's video) makes the chute wider and lower, which really helps a lot.
I can attest to that.

Keith added the ramp to help send the dust into the chute but also added
the flap at the top of the chute. His slow motion video detective work
showed the dust physically hitting the flat edge of the chute and
(his word) ricocheting down, never making it into the interior of the saw.

Impressive work indeed. I wonder what he does for a living. Mechanical
engineer/ Aerospace?

My Kapex actually made a mess cutting on my last job. I kept looking
down the manifold that the hose attaches to and saw the blade.
What I did not see was a relative large but think piece of oak waste
that was in there somewhere disturbing the flow. Oddly/eventually I saw
that piece appear on the bed of the saw, it fell out, and dust
collection went back up to about 95%.

Wait...the Kapex doesn't have an app that sends a notification to your smart
phone when there's a clog? Color me surprised! ;-)

It should tell you *where* it is too, dammit! Festool batteries have
Bluetooth so you'd expect the Kapex to have at least 4G cell
capability. Even refrigerators have 19" color LCD displays, Internet
cameras, WiFi, and web browers so what's Festool's problem?