Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter Saw Dust Collection Hoods?

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and Dust
Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who's
used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors that attach to the
saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there.
Anyone in here have and use one of these?
How pleased are you and how well do they work?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 19:05:34 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and Dust
Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who's
used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors that attach to the
saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there.
Anyone in here have and use one of these?
How pleased are you and how well do they work?

I've had a Fastcap for several years. It works well and keeps dust
from flying everywhere but isn't all that easy to clean if you're OCD.
It's worth the money, IMO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and Dust
Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who's
used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors that attach to the
saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there.
Anyone in here have and use one of these?
How pleased are you and how well do they work?

I haven't used either of the two you referenced but I did design and
build my own out of plexiglass. Pictures are shown below.

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=3&page=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and Dust
Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who's
used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors that attach to the
saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there.
Anyone in here have and use one of these?
How pleased are you and how well do they work?

I've had a Fastcap for several years. It works well and keeps dust
from flying everywhere but isn't all that easy to clean if you're OCD.
It's worth the money, IMO.

Thanks for the info.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and
Dust Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from
anyone who's used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors
that attach to the saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there. Anyone in
here have and use one of these? How pleased are you and how well do
they work?

I haven't used either of the two you referenced but I did design and
build my own out of plexiglass. Pictures are shown below.

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=3&page=1

Sorry, I forgot to specify why I want one.
I'm looking for something very portable for use in clients' homes. My
situation in the shop is pretty well taken care of. But I have a crown
job coming up that's on the 3rd floor of a condo building. The client
says he'll put up plastic (nice of him!) but I want to minimize the dust.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Mine is sure not portable. ;-(
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I'm looking for something very portable for use in
clients' homes.

get a drillnado

dump the bellows out into the clients wastebasket

doug might sell his cheap

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That information is important. As I said, it works well and folds up
so it's fairly portable. The worry I'd have in your application is
that it has nooks and crannies between the steel ribs and covering
that sawdust gets into. You might drop dust out of it while setting
up or tearing down. Maybe if you put it in another plastic "envelope"
used for transport, it would minimize the problem.

BTW, I have the Dewalt saw stand and can't recommend it more highly.
It would be perfect for this application.

http://dewalt.com/tools/machinery-mi...ns-dwx723.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I'm looking for something very portable for use in
clients' homes.

get a drillnado

dump the bellows out into the clients wastebasket

doug might sell his cheap

Every village needs an idiot.
How's it feel being ours?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the added info.
I'm not too concerned with dropping a pile or two of sawdust when
cleaning up, as I always carry a small shopvac to jobs and do a
once-around with it prior to leaving a site.

What I don't like to deal with (or my clients) is the airborne stuff
that floats around the room. These "hoods" perhaps coupled with a vac
seem like a very good solution to it.

BTW, I have the Dewalt saw stand and can't recommend it more highly.
It would be perfect for this application.

http://dewalt.com/tools/machinery-mi...ns-dwx723.aspx

I've seen that and am impressed. Years back I got the Ridgid portable
CMS stand and have been tickled pink with it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and Dust
Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who's
used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors that attach to the
saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there.
Anyone in here have and use one of these?
How pleased are you and how well do they work?

I haven't used either of the two you referenced but I did design and
build my own out of plexiglass. Pictures are shown below.

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=3&page=1

Damn Gordon, you had to have the LS1014... I miss my saw.
Nice setup.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:57:27 -0600
-MIKE- wrote:

Every village needs an idiot.
How's it feel being ours?

you wasted your wifes money on a centipede flimsyhorse
so who is the real idiot

unlike you my highly refined built in bull**** detector
prevents me from throwing good money away on junk

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Every village needs an idiot.
How's it feel being ours?

you wasted your wifes money on a centipede flimsyhorse
so who is the real idiot

unlike you my highly refined built in bull**** detector
prevents me from throwing good money away on junk

Served me very well on three jobs just last week.
Everyone in here knows you're full of ****.
You're good for a laugh though... like I said: village idiot.

Hope it's not too cold in your mom's basement.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:16:29 -0600
-MIKE- wrote:

Hope it's not too cold in your mom's basement.

turned 72 in october my mother died when i was 6
i have been on my own since i was 15 married at 19

unlike you i made my own way never asking for handouts
i bet your wife has to pay for your childish vanity domain
and buy the gas for your van

poor gal will keep you up as long as you stay clean and sober
if you screw up you will go back to living out of your van
sux 2 b u

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Hope it's not too cold in your mom's basement.

turned 72 in october my mother died when i was 6
i have been on my own since i was 15 married at 19

unlike you i made my own way never asking for handouts
i bet your wife has to pay for your childish vanity domain
and buy the gas for your van

poor gal will keep you up as long as you stay clean and sober
if you screw up you will go back to living out of your van
sux 2 b u

Wow did someone finally hit a nerve?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and Dust
Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who's
used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors that attach to the
saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there.
Anyone in here have and use one of these?
How pleased are you and how well do they work?

I haven't used either of the two you referenced but I did design and
build my own out of plexiglass. Pictures are shown below.

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=3&page=1

Damn Gordon, you had to have the LS1014... I miss my saw.
Nice setup.

Thanks for the compliment. However, the saw is the predecessor to the
LS1014, the LS1013.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hope it's not too cold in your mom's basement.

turned 72 in october my mother died when i was 6 i have been on my
own since i was 15 married at 19

unlike you i made my own way never asking for handouts i bet your
wife has to pay for your childish vanity domain and buy the gas for
your van

poor gal will keep you up as long as you stay clean and sober if you
screw up you will go back to living out of your van sux 2 b u

Ahhh, so nice to have a cyber stalker.
Unlike you, I don't hide behind anonymity, which often leads to cowards
like you checking out my website looking for ammunition for their lame
attempts at insults.

I have enough mutual respect for my fellow community members-- and the
balls-- to post my insults using my real name and making it easy for
cyber stalkers to know who I am. :-) I don't post anything in here I
wouldn't say to someone's face. Unlike you.

I've asked before if your lack of punctuation was due to some sort of
disability. You didn't answer so we're all left to assume you're just
lazy or think you're too cool for school or whatever.

I think you'll find you'll get a modicum of respect in here if you quit
posting ignorant comment behind an anonymous pseudonym.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2016 2:57 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2016 12:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/19/16 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2016 10:53 AM, John McCoy wrote:

[snip]

It is puzzling, probably a PIA that is jealous of EC and every one else
here.

Could be. Might be time to set up a kill file.
Man, I haven't had one of those in years!

Nor me, I'm not sure I remember how to do it in Thunderbird.

Piece of cake, Leon.

With the offending post opened, right click on the sender's email
address. Select "Create Filter From. . ." and click on it. It's pretty
intuitive from there out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter Saw Dust Collection Hoods? ADDITIONAL

On 1/19/16 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/19/2016 10:53 AM, John McCoy wrote:

[snip]

It is puzzling, probably a PIA that is jealous of EC and every one else
here.

Could be. Might be time to set up a kill file.
Man, I haven't had one of those in years!

Nor me, I'm not sure I remember how to do it in Thunderbird.

Piece of cake, Leon.

With the offending post opened, right click on the sender's email
address. Select "Create Filter From. . ." and click on it. It's pretty
intuitive from there out.

ADDITIONAL:

Forgot to mention that it will also work with the subject line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Hope it's not too cold in your mom's basement.

turned 72 in october my mother died when i was 6
i have been on my own since i was 15 married at 19

unlike you i made my own way never asking for handouts
i bet your wife has to pay for your childish vanity domain
and buy the gas for your van

poor gal will keep you up as long as you stay clean and sober
if you screw up you will go back to living out of your van
sux 2 b u

Wow did someone finally hit a nerve?

Different troll, trying hard to make the other look worse.

SCMS Dust Hoods Never Enough Money Woodworking 4 November 28th 05 09:33 PM
Dust collection Bill Gooch Woodturning 4 June 10th 05 04:01 AM
Looking to exchange some email or postings with Barry Burke regarding dust collection on miter saw Dick Snyder Woodworking 6 February 8th 05 12:38 PM
ideas needed for dust hood/collection for miter saw [email protected] Woodworking 4 February 4th 05 03:59 PM
Question about dust collection on a Bosch 4410 Sliding Compound Miter Saw Dick Snyder Woodworking 5 January 28th 05 12:19 AM