Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Miter saw dust collection?

On 3/7/2018 9:27 AM, sawdustmaker wrote:
Ok -- While we're on the subject. How do I actually collect dust from my
SCMS? Why bother with a bag -- there's more dust around my saw than there
is in the bag. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be a good way to
collect dust other than enclose the entire back in a box with a hole for
the dust collector hose. Is there another way?

It all focuses around the design of the saw and it's method used to
direct the dust directly or not so directly into the dust port. I have
seem several that have taped a piece of card board behind the blade to
modify the existing "scoop".

Regardless of what method you use a dust collector/shop vac, in place of
the bag, will help more than anything. While neither may not collect
all of the dust it is likely that the vast majority of the fine dust,
that which ends up in your lungs, will be captured by the vacuum.

And if money is no object, I have another suggestion that is as close to
perfect as I have seen.