Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Raspberry Pi Case

On 3/31/2016 11:06 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon wrote in
:

Your earlier comments indicated that speakers had to be ported to
equalize air pressure on both sides of the speaker unless the
enclosure was large and the speakers were small. That simply is not
true.

What I actually said (regardless of what you think I
"indicated") was that you won't get as much sound if the
case isn't vented. Which is simply true and always will
be (except, as krw pointed out, in the special case of
air suspension speakers).

Actually, there is another special case - if the enclosure
is thin enough to flex. In that case the enclosure itself
will act like a slave speaker. This tends to sound really
awful.

John

Air tight speakers, non vented, have been being manufactured since the
50's There simply is no issue with the amount of sound that comes from
them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2016 10:07 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/30/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

No the front of the speaker is open, obviously but the box in many cases
is air tight. You probably came into the conversation late and are
missing the key points.

Yep ... the idea of sealed enclosure speakers, a very specific type of
speaker design, is to allow the air behind the speaker to act pretty
much like a spring, which helps control the movement of the speaker
within its design limits.

It would have to be (relatively) "sealed" in order to do so.

It's about time!

LOL. Thanks for stepping in and commenting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2016 5:10 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 and the official Raspberry Pi Touchscreen that
I'm working on building a case for. I've come across a design decision I'd
like a little input on.

I have an amplifier and speaker arrangement to give me basic sound. I'm
using 2 small speakers, about 1" by 2". The speakers are in their own
plastic enclosure with a provision to mount the speaker using a
sufficiently small screw, probably 2-56 maybe 1-72. FWIW, the case will
probably be pine.

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came
out. They sure have hit on something I would have died for when I built
my first Heathkit in '68. Can you imagine, we'd probably rule the world
by now. LOL

Been thinking about getting one just for the hell of it, possibly to
cobble up a streaming audio/video cord cutting device, maybe using KOBI?

You got any interest/info in that direction?

Thanks ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came
out.

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a
"controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards do
do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics people buy
them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for less than $10.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2016 1:38 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came
out.

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a
"controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards do
do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics people buy
them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for less than $10.

Seen the technology and it is also intriguing. Just wonder how TV
streaming from a digital signal to multiple units.

What I've heard about tasking with both, "If you can describe it with
less than two €˜ands, get an Arduino. If you need more than two €˜ands,
get a Raspberry Pi".

What do you think? Thanks.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:
On 3/31/2016 1:38 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came
out.

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a
"controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards do
do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics people buy
them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for less than $10.

Seen the technology and it is also intriguing. Just wonder how TV
streaming from a digital signal to multiple units.

What I've heard about tasking with both, "If you can describe it with
less than two €˜ands, get an Arduino. If you need more than two €˜ands,
get a Raspberry Pi".

What do you think? Thanks.

I tend to favor one of these over both rPi and Arduino:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2016 3:28 PM, Markem wrote:

On a tangent, spent a lot of time playing with speakers. Trying to
determine best sound that could be had out of plastic enclosures. For
our application unported was our only option. This was for a
teleconferencing system, Bose though figured out that with tuned
porting you can make ****ty cheap speakers sound stupendous.

Once blessed with a good enough approximation of "Golden Ears" to
supplement a self employed life style sufficient to put two kids through
college, I lately find myself turning on CC on all NetFlix binges.

Probably the reason how absolutely amazed I am at how good some of these
new techology, small, ****ty little speakers sound.

Have a small, and older BlueTooth box (Logitech UE BOOM) speaker that I
take out to the deck in the evening for music playback of my cell phone.

Keep in mind I'm often listening to a lot of material that I recorded,
produced, and mixed, so I know exactly what I wanted to hear, and should
still hear, those many years ago.

Stupendous is a good word ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2016 3:34 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I tend to favor one of these over both rPi and Arduino:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php

Wow, New one on me.
The plot, and options, thicken.
Glad I asked.

Thanks!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first
came out. They sure have hit on something I would have died for when I
built my first Heathkit in '68. Can you imagine, we'd probably rule
the world by now. LOL

Been thinking about getting one just for the hell of it, possibly to
cobble up a streaming audio/video cord cutting device, maybe using
KOBI?

You got any interest/info in that direction?

Thanks ...

A tiny bit... Unfortunately, Amazon Prime doesn't work with Linux. It
boils down to DRM and lack of interest in making something that works.

MythTV OTOH, runs great on Linux. I wouldn't be surprised to find
there's a "Myth Pi" project.

The Pi doesn't get high marks for audio out of the box. There's a $25
sound board add-on that will give you better audio, but if good sound is
your aim you may want to look at other options.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:43:06 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

I really miss 20 hz to 40 hz.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2016 5:09 PM, Markem wrote:

I really miss 20 hz to 40 hz.

The pup lets me know there's something there ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:27:53 -0500, Swingman wrote:

What I've heard about tasking with both, "If you can describe it with
less than two €˜ands, get an Arduino. If you need more than two €˜ands,
get a Raspberry Pi".

The Pi is designed to be a low cost PC for children, students, and 3rd
world. Hook up a monitor, a keyboard, and even a hard drive if you
like. You've got a somewhat slow computer running most Linux
applications.

The Arduino and other microcontrollers are designed to ,well, control
things. There are digital and analog inputs and outputs varying from 20
or so on the Uno to 70 or so on the Mega2560. You use a PC (or a Pi) to
write the programs and download them over a USB cable.

There's a Google group using Arduinos for all sorts of model RR
applications. I'm using them to control servos and move turnout points
slowly and realistically at a lot lower cost than the commercial
product. And infinitely more cusomizeable.

Woodworking? A moisture meter would be pretty simple. A liquor cabinet
that weighed each bottle and played "How Dry I Am" when appropriate?
Twinkling LED lights behind the cloth in a speaker enclosure?

One experimenter built a hearing aid using an Arduino. A little large to
fit in the ear, but is sure shows there's not a lot of expensive
components involved.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:
On 3/31/2016 3:34 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I tend to favor one of these over both rPi and Arduino:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php

Wow, New one on me.
The plot, and options, thicken.
Glad I asked.

One of the nice things about attending ARMTechCon every
year, is you get to drool over the cool stuff.

http://www.armtechcon.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first
came out.

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a
"controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards
do do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics
people buy them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for
less than $10.

Yeah, that's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison; the
Raspberry Pi has more of the architecture of a smart phone,
while the Arduino is the classic embedded controller.

I'm not a great fan of the "true" Arduino, because I'm not a
huge fan of the Atmel AVR processor (altho it's a lot better
than the PIC processor). There are Arduino compatible boards
using various flavors of ARM processors (like the STM32) which
I think are better.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2016 8:43 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
krw writes:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:28:05 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 07:56:37 -0500, Leon wrote:

John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:RZadnZ9w85XqcWbLnZ2dnUU7-
:

Nope, in a sealed speaker the same amount of air is in the enclosure
regardless if the speaker cone is moving in or out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you are the one confused.
Go look up Boyle's Law on Wikipedia.

John

Regardless, boules law has nothing to do with a speaker working correctly
whether it is ported or whether it is an air suspension/acoustical style
speaker.
Your earlier comments indicated that speakers had to be ported to equalize
air pressure on both sides of the speaker unless the enclosure was large
and the speakers were small. That simply is not true.

On a tangent, spent a lot of time playing with speakers. Trying to
determine best sound that could be had out of plastic enclosures. For
our application unported was our only option. This was for a
teleconferencing system, Bose though figured out that with tuned
porting you can make ****ty cheap speakers sound stupendous.

Tuned Porting: "No highs. No lows. ...must be Bose."

I tend to prefer speakers without a cabinet, e.g. maggies.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

You will need a subwoofer.

(I'd love to have these: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_207)

Those are incredible speakers although you need the space for them and
it appears they have come down considerable in price. The last time I
saw them, almost 13 years ago, they were in the $5K per pair range.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
[...]

The MMG's were $500 when I bought mine a decade ago, but they've
always been the low-end from Magnepan. The larger speakers, on
the other hand...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:27:53 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 3/31/2016 1:38 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came
out.

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a
"controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards do
do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics people buy
them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for less than $10.

Seen the technology and it is also intriguing. Just wonder how TV
streaming from a digital signal to multiple units.

Direct TV does that now, in home. Both audio and TV. It has been
do-able over the Net with multi-casting and for the life of me I don't
know why it was kept so limited. One signal that anyone had hook up to
if they know where it's from. saves a lot of bandwidth instead of one
stream to each individual user.

What I've heard about tasking with both, "If you can describe it with
less than two ‘and’s, get an Arduino. If you need more than two ‘and’s,
get a Raspberry Pi".

What do you think? Thanks.

Like you, I have been considering getting one for a while, and the ver
3 is the hot ticket for wireless robots or whatever.
Put an LED bar in the rear window and send text messages to the
drivers behind you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2016 1:05 PM, OFWW wrote:

Put an LED bar in the rear window and send text messages to the
drivers behind you.

Not something I'd try in Texas... lol

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

Like you, I have been considering getting one for a while, and the ver
3 is the hot ticket for wireless robots or whatever.
Put an LED bar in the rear window and send text messages to the
drivers behind you.

Time to quit thinking about it and separate yourself from about $50.
You'll need a MicroSD card too.

The Pi 3 does come with integrated wireless, so there's $10 saved there.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-01, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

The Pi 3 does come with integrated wireless, so there's $10 saved there.

That might be a problem. My older RPi B+ (?) uses a USB wiki dongle, which
can be changed fer a better dongle if yer current dongle is not very
good. With the new RPi, yer stuck with the wifi it comes with.
Hopefully, it comes with a good one.

For example, I passed on the official RPi mini dongle and got the
better b/g/n thumb drive-sized dongle. OTOH, the RPi 3 has a better
CPU.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in
:

That might be a problem. My older RPi B+ (?) uses a USB wiki dongle,
which can be changed fer a better dongle if yer current dongle is not
very good. With the new RPi, yer stuck with the wifi it comes with.
Hopefully, it comes with a good one.

You should be able to disable the onboard wifi and use a
USB dongle if you want to (which might be something you'd
do if you put it in a metal case, since the onboard wifi
antenna is soldered to the board and can't be moved).

However, one of the weaknesses of the Pi is that a lot of
the low-level hardware stuff is not all that well documented,
so it might take some work to figure out just how to do it.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
[...]

"Maggies"? You mean "electro-statics"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Haven't you seen signs in the country and back woods - nation wide!

If it isn't the hunters shooting holes in signs to sight in,
it is the drive by fun loving redneck that throws a bottle into
it or shoots it next time.

Just don't ask for bullets or bottles.

Martin

On 4/1/2016 1:53 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/1/2016 1:05 PM, OFWW wrote:

Put an LED bar in the rear window and send text messages to the
drivers behind you.

Not something I'd try in Texas... lol

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01 Apr 2016 19:25:45 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

OFWW wrote in
:

Like you, I have been considering getting one for a while, and the ver
3 is the hot ticket for wireless robots or whatever.
Put an LED bar in the rear window and send text messages to the
drivers behind you.

Time to quit thinking about it and separate yourself from about $50.
You'll need a MicroSD card too.

Which class of card, I've got a bunch. I might just have a look
tomorrow it there is no crowd, hate crowds.

The Pi 3 does come with integrated wireless, so there's $10 saved there.

And blue tooth, so my input devices should work.

shoot, so little time and so much to do.
Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in news5p0gbpukr4u52sb26qt390r0ah9cekg8k@
4ax.com:

Which class of card, I've got a bunch. I might just have a look
tomorrow it there is no crowd, hate crowds.

As fast as you can get, Class 10 I think is the current max.

The Pi 3 does come with integrated wireless, so there's $10 saved there.

And blue tooth, so my input devices should work.

shoot, so little time and so much to do.
Puckdropper

AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready yet.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03 Apr 2016 03:46:29 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

OFWW wrote in news5p0gbpukr4u52sb26qt390r0ah9cekg8k@
4ax.com:

Which class of card, I've got a bunch. I might just have a look
tomorrow it there is no crowd, hate crowds.

As fast as you can get, Class 10 I think is the current max.

The Pi 3 does come with integrated wireless, so there's $10 saved there.

And blue tooth, so my input devices should work.

shoot, so little time and so much to do.
Puckdropper

AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready yet.

I haven't had any trouble with Bluetooth in a few years (and I use it
extensively, now). Before that, I would have agreed with you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in
:

On 03 Apr 2016 03:46:29 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready yet.

I haven't had any trouble with Bluetooth in a few years (and I use it
extensively, now). Before that, I would have agreed with you.

Oh, I meant the Bluetooth on the Pi 3. Ok, I did a little more looking
and the current knowledge in one forum thread* suggests that Bluetooth
support is there in Raspbian Jessie, but you may need to install a few
things for a GUI interface.

You can safely ignore that statement above ("AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready
yet.") and just do some reading if things don't work. (Linux--The OS
that brought reading back to America's youth! lol)

Puckdropper
*https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=28&t=138145
Just citing my source.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04 Apr 2016 00:37:21 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in
:

On 03 Apr 2016 03:46:29 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready yet.

I haven't had any trouble with Bluetooth in a few years (and I use it
extensively, now). Before that, I would have agreed with you.

Oh, I meant the Bluetooth on the Pi 3. Ok, I did a little more looking
and the current knowledge in one forum thread* suggests that Bluetooth
support is there in Raspbian Jessie, but you may need to install a few
things for a GUI interface.

Ah, I misunderstood you incorrectly. Nevermind! ;-)

You can safely ignore that statement above ("AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready
yet.") and just do some reading if things don't work. (Linux--The OS
that brought reading back to America's youth! lol)

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
[...]

FYI - 'e.g.' is an abbreviation that means 'for example'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 14:11:01 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

krw writes:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:43:02 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

John McCoy wrote:
[...]

I know full well what 'e.g.' means. I don't know what it's an example
of.

Raspberry pi 3 dennis@home UK diy 68 March 18th 16 09:37 AM
OT New Raspberry Pi 0 £4 !!! Another Dave[_3_] UK diy 21 November 30th 15 05:37 PM
Connecting a Raspberry Pi to an old TV News UK diy 61 April 7th 14 01:00 PM
DIY ideas for Raspberry Pi? Bob Eager[_2_] UK diy 363 March 17th 12 09:55 PM
Raspberry Pi Feedback TheScullster UK diy 15 March 12th 12 01:40 PM