Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting a Raspberry Pi to an old TV

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I
did find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on
the back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary
audio lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

Thanks.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2012 14:04, News wrote:

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I
did find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on
the back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary
audio lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

Thanks.

If you're using the SCART input, tuning doesn't come into it - should be
on 'AV' or 'video'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2012 14:04, News wrote:

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I
did find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on
the back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary
audio lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

Thanks.

Connect it as you described with the phono and scart adaptor and select
the AV input on the TV. The Pi's output is composite video.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I
did find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on
the back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary
audio lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

You won't find the Pi's output by tuning, you'll have to switch input to
e.g. AV1 for the scart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2012 14:16, Andy Burns wrote:
News wrote:

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I
did find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on
the back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary
audio lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

You won't find the Pi's output by tuning, you'll have to switch input
to e.g. AV1 for the scart.

Also it depends if the scart adaptor is an input or an output scart
adaptor. The scart pin out is at
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sc...2&ved=0CG8QsAQ.

You may need to move a wire.
Gary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I did
find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on the
back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary audio
lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the Pi.
Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch. What
am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote. On others there is an AV button
on the front panel. The AV button has an icon if a square with an arrow
pointing towards it. Pressing it cycles through the available inputs (SCART
1, SCART 2, PHONO FRONT PANEL, TV)
Not all TVs have the full range of inputs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2012 14:48, Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Some SCART inputs can be switched between RGB and Composite, so that may
also need to be set - the 4th input on our TV can be RGB, Composite or
SVHS and can only be set from a menu accessed via the remote.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

[...]

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scart

+pinout&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=705&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch &tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_dPhT4bfBaSa0QXUpsy3Aw& sqi=2&ved=0CG8QsAQ.

You may need to move a wire.

Or, on some of them (the ones I get) move a switch on the SCART adaptor.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

You may need to tweak config.txt on the SD card to select PAL (sdtv_mode=2):
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote. On others there is an AV button
on the front panel. The AV button has an icon if a square with an arrow
pointing towards it. Pressing it cycles through the available inputs (SCART
1, SCART 2, PHONO FRONT PANEL, TV)
Not all TVs have the full range of inputs.

Thank you. I have changed the SCART adaptor to one that is switchable,
but do not seem to be any further forward. However, I have found a
picture of the TV remote control :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/1...ow-tune-tv.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/89trfrr

I'm assuming the AV button is bottom row, second in from the left?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Got it :-)

Not entirely sure how, but I suddenly have what looks like a DOS menu.
Now the fun begins.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/89trfrr

I'm assuming the AV button is bottom row, second in from the left?

I'd say the key to the right of the '9' or possible the one below that,
the key you'd indicated looks like it only does something when the
remote is in a specific "mode"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
News wrote:
Pi. Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch.
What am I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

You may need to tweak config.txt on the SD card to select PAL (sdtv_mode=2):
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

It's PAL by default, so no need to wory about that here.

However, tweaking with the width & height might be to your advantage.

I use:

framebuffer_width=704
framebuffer_height=544

in /boot/config.txt to get 640x480 out of the composite video. It's just
about viewable on a 30 year old monitor:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/piduino.jpg

And was more or less readable on my big CRT Sony TV ...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Got it :-)

Not entirely sure how, but I suddenly have what looks like a DOS menu.
Now the fun begins.

Type:

wget -O rtb http://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb/rtb-armel
chmod +x rtb
./rtb -l

for that true vintage experience ;-)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gordon Henderson
writes

However, tweaking with the width & height might be to your advantage.

Um, yes. I was blaming the TV ...

I use:

framebuffer_width=704
framebuffer_height=544

in /boot/config.txt to get 640x480 out of the composite video. It's just
about viewable on a 30 year old monitor:

I've sent Child off to learn how to find and amend config.txt :-)

Just briefly playing, I can see that my vague memories of DOS are
slightly useful, but, bearing in mind that I have never used any flavour
of anything except DOS, this is going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Oh, and the image is black and white only. Not sure whether that is the
Pi or the TV.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes

However, tweaking with the width & height might be to your advantage.

Um, yes. I was blaming the TV ...

I use:

framebuffer_width=704
framebuffer_height=544

in /boot/config.txt to get 640x480 out of the composite video. It's just
about viewable on a 30 year old monitor:

I've sent Child off to learn how to find and amend config.txt :-)

It doesn't exist out of the box, you need to create it.

Just briefly playing, I can see that my vague memories of DOS are
slightly useful, but, bearing in mind that I have never used any flavour
of anything except DOS, this is going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Oh, and the image is black and white only. Not sure whether that is the
Pi or the TV.

Reboot the Pi. You ought to get a reddish Raspberry logo top-left during
boot time.

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

I've sent Child off to learn how to find and amend config.txt :-)

It doesn't exist out of the box, you need to create it.

Ah, thanks.

Just briefly playing, I can see that my vague memories of DOS are
slightly useful, but, bearing in mind that I have never used any flavour
of anything except DOS, this is going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Oh, and the image is black and white only. Not sure whether that is the
Pi or the TV.

Reboot the Pi. You ought to get a reddish Raspberry logo top-left during
boot time.

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.

Sure it's a colour telly? ;-)

It does seem odd though! I don't know of any config. options to
make it B&W only though... You'd need a 2nd TV, or some other colour
video source (old VHS box with composite output?) to check...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2012 20:45, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In ,
wrote:
In , Gordon Henderson
writes

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.

Sure it's a colour telly? ;-)

It does seem odd though! I don't know of any config. options to
make it B&W only though... You'd need a 2nd TV, or some other colour
video source (old VHS box with composite output?) to check...

Gordon

I used to get B&W with one TV when playing NTSC DVDs. The TV obviously
had the circuitry to display the NTSC picture, but couldn't understand
the colour.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.

Sure it's a colour telly? ;-)

It does seem odd though! I don't know of any config. options to
make it B&W only though... You'd need a 2nd TV, or some other colour
video source (old VHS box with composite output?) to check...

No, i'm sure the Pi is outputting colour here (the bit about typing is
surely regarding the intial commandline screen., once you are into the
GUI it's colour).

It sounds like something has gone wrong twixt the pi and the TV,
probably to do with the Scart adapter
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:56:06 +0100, News
wrote:

In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote. On others there is an AV button
on the front panel. The AV button has an icon if a square with an arrow
pointing towards it. Pressing it cycles through the available inputs (SCART
1, SCART 2, PHONO FRONT PANEL, TV)
Not all TVs have the full range of inputs.

Thank you. I have changed the SCART adaptor to one that is switchable,
but do not seem to be any further forward. However, I have found a
picture of the TV remote control :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs/1...ow-tune-tv.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/89trfrr

I'm assuming the AV button is bottom row, second in from the left?

No, that's more like a memory store function. I agree with Andy.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

I'm assuming the AV button is bottom row, second in from the left?

I could be wrong, but I think it is the column furthest to the right
(column that has the on/off button at the top), fourth button down
counting from the top. Of course Sony aren't greatly consistent so it
could be the one that you indicate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.

Sure it's a colour telly? ;-)

It does seem odd though! I don't know of any config. options to
make it B&W only though... You'd need a 2nd TV, or some other colour
video source (old VHS box with composite output?) to check...

No, i'm sure the Pi is outputting colour here (the bit about typing is
surely regarding the intial commandline screen., once you are into the
GUI it's colour).

It sounds like something has gone wrong twixt the pi and the TV,
probably to do with the Scart adapter

Or the TV has a YUV / SVGA style input mode and is looking for separate
chroma and luma signals. Feeding CVBS into a input expecting luma will
yield a B&W picture.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.

Sounds like your TV's SCART input is set for s-Video (maybe called
S-VHS) rather than composite video ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
You may need to tweak config.txt on the SD card to select PAL (sdtv_mode=2):
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

It's PAL by default, so no need to wory about that here.

Are you sure? That page says NTSC is the default. I haven't tried either,
but PAL v NTSC would be a reason for no colour.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes

But yes, after that it will be B&W until you type something that gives
you colour.

B&W only. I've used the browser, and gone online, but only in B&W.

Sure it's a colour telly? ;-)

It does seem odd though! I don't know of any config. options to
make it B&W only though... You'd need a 2nd TV, or some other colour
video source (old VHS box with composite output?) to check...

No, i'm sure the Pi is outputting colour here (the bit about typing is
surely regarding the intial commandline screen., once you are into the
GUI it's colour).

It sounds like something has gone wrong twixt the pi and the TV,
probably to do with the Scart adapter

Or the TV has a YUV / SVGA style input mode and is looking for separate

sorry make that SVHS / S-Video not SVGA!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News" wrote in message

Son was delighted to receive a Pi yesterday, but we cannot seem to view
anything, using an ancient Sony portable TV. The only conventional PC
monitors we have use VGA.

The Pi has a yellow phono socket for video output. The TV has a
conventional TV aerial input, and a Scart socket. We don't have a lead
with Scart plug on one end, and three phono plugs on the other, but I did
find an adaptor thingy that is a Scart plug, with three phonos on the
back. No lead. I plugged that into the TV, and used an ordinary audio
lead, with phono plug on each end, to connect the adaptor to the Pi.
Nothing. Went right through the tuning band of the TV, but zilch. What am
I doing wrong or, more to the point, what else do I need to buy?

Have you turned on the Pi? (I'm not familiar with it, but I assume that even
with no OS, it will give some sort of display.)

Have you got an equally ancient VCR that might have composite input? Or
perhaps a DVD recorder. Then the output of that might be RF-RF on the TV,
or SCART-SCART.

The SCART-phono adaptors, might be designed for output only (it might say
so).

Or you could wire up directly, but will probably need to solder: central
core of the yellow plug to pin 20 of SCART, and screen to pin 17 (download
SCART pinouts from anywhere).

Using RF tuning on the TV won't help if the input is via SCART or composite,
it needs to be AV input. You might be better off with a more recent TV,
which you probably have in your living room. (And in that case, doesn't the
PI have HDMI output?)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Theo Markettos
writes
Gordon Henderson wrote:

It's PAL by default, so no need to wory about that here.

Are you sure? That page says NTSC is the default. I haven't tried either,
but PAL v NTSC would be a reason for no colour.

The saga continues. I found another old TV, a Bush with build in VCR. I
know it works, and works in colour. The remote has gone wherever odd
socks go, but no matter. I plugged in the Pi, and the TV must have
recognised the AV signal, as I could watch the boot sequence, start
STARTX, launch the browser and connect, but still only B&W. It must be
the SCART adaptor I'm using. Next job is to find another one to try.

Update. Found another SCART adaptor, which is embossed Microsoft. It
probably came with an XBox. It works, but still no colour.

What do I need, to connect the Pi to a proper PC monitor that only has a
VGA connector?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BartC writes

Or you could wire up directly, but will probably need to solder:
central core of the yellow plug to pin 20 of SCART, and screen to pin
17 (download SCART pinouts from anywhere).

I have found four SCART adaptors, three of which are moulded plastic.
However, one is screwed together, and the yellow socket is definitely
wired to pins 17 and 20. I cannot clearly see whether it is as above,
or opposite. Would that effect colour?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:36:19 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Theo Markettos
writes
Gordon Henderson wrote:

It's PAL by default, so no need to wory about that here.

Are you sure? That page says NTSC is the default. I haven't tried either,
but PAL v NTSC would be a reason for no colour.

The saga continues. I found another old TV, a Bush with build in VCR. I
know it works, and works in colour. The remote has gone wherever odd
socks go, but no matter. I plugged in the Pi, and the TV must have
recognised the AV signal, as I could watch the boot sequence, start
STARTX, launch the browser and connect, but still only B&W. It must be
the SCART adaptor I'm using. Next job is to find another one to try.

Update. Found another SCART adaptor, which is embossed Microsoft. It
probably came with an XBox. It works, but still no colour.

It could be the Pi itself. I would be surprised if a cable fault
would allow you to get B&W but no colour.

What do I need, to connect the Pi to a proper PC monitor that only has a
VGA connector?

A lot of money ;-) (Adaptors are expensive)

The Pi foundation glibly say "VGA is considered to be an end-of-life
technology" although every monitor has a VGA connector. The biggest
mistake they made in the design of the Pi IMHO.

I bought a new monitor instead - From what I can tell from the forums
most people pick this solution.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You Pi may have died when you plugged it into the TV. Most TVs seem to
have no grounding pin on their power socket, so their connectors may
charge up to rather high Voltage. if you plugged the PI in with the TV
on line voltage, there may have been a discharge through the Pi's video
port frying parts of the DAC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:05:31 +0100, News wrote:

I have found four SCART adaptors, three of which are moulded plastic.
However, one is screwed together, and the yellow socket is definitely
wired to pins 17 and 20. I cannot clearly see whether it is as above,
or opposite. Would that effect colour?

No composite video has the colour information encoded into the
signal. If you can see a black and white image there are two
possibilities:

1) The Pi is only sending a signal with black and white. A DOS prompt
would be just white text on a black background. You need to be sure
what the Pi is sending should should have some colour...

2) The colour encoding is NTSC rather than PAL. See other posts on
how to kick it into producing PAL. Does seem a bit odd for the
default of a UK product being NTSC though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2012 18:02, News wrote:
In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Got it :-)

Not entirely sure how, but I suddenly have what looks like a DOS menu.
Now the fun begins.

try typing startx followed by enter to start up the GUI which should
come up in colour.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:05:31 +0100, News wrote:

I have found four SCART adaptors, three of which are moulded plastic.
However, one is screwed together, and the yellow socket is definitely
wired to pins 17 and 20. I cannot clearly see whether it is as above,
or opposite. Would that effect colour?

No composite video has the colour information encoded into the
signal. If you can see a black and white image there are two
possibilities:

1) The Pi is only sending a signal with black and white. A DOS prompt
would be just white text on a black background. You need to be sure
what the Pi is sending should should have some colour...

I hadnt thought of that :-)

That's probably the case. Default Linux boot stuff is VGA white on black..

Needs a flash card with a boot image set up I guess. And then an X server..

2) The colour encoding is NTSC rather than PAL. See other posts on
how to kick it into producing PAL. Does seem a bit odd for the
default of a UK product being NTSC though.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Shew wrote:
On 20/06/2012 18:02, News wrote:
In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Got it :-)

Not entirely sure how, but I suddenly have what looks like a DOS menu.
Now the fun begins.

try typing startx followed by enter to start up the GUI which should
come up in colour.

Unless he has a functional flash card with linux, that will be the boot
loader I'd guess..

I believe you download a linux image and put it on a flash card and then
it will boot that.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:05:31 +0100, News wrote:

I have found four SCART adaptors, three of which are moulded
plastic. However, one is screwed together, and the yellow socket is
definitely wired to pins 17 and 20. I cannot clearly see whether it
is as above, or opposite. Would that effect colour?

No composite video has the colour information encoded into the
signal. If you can see a black and white image there are two
possibilities:
1) The Pi is only sending a signal with black and white. A DOS
prompt
would be just white text on a black background. You need to be sure
what the Pi is sending should should have some colour...

I hadnt thought of that :-)

That's probably the case. Default Linux boot stuff is VGA white on black..

Needs a flash card with a boot image set up I guess. And then an X server..

THe OP has already said a couple of times he has had the browser
running, so he has got past all the linux boot stuff, and is in the GUI,
which is in colour
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Shew wrote:
On 20/06/2012 18:02, News wrote:
In message

g, Steve Firth writes

On some Trinitrons the AV input is selected by tuning to channel 0. On
others there is an AV button on the remote.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Got it :-)

Not entirely sure how, but I suddenly have what looks like a DOS menu.
Now the fun begins.

try typing startx followed by enter to start up the GUI which should
come up in colour.

Unless he has a functional flash card with linux, that will be the boot
loader I'd guess..

I believe you download a linux image and put it on a flash card and then
it will boot that.

He said he had a DOS like prompt - I assumed that he has a Linux image
on his flash card already to get that far.

I haven't tried booting without the flash card installed.